Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scientology wha??

Options
  • 11-04-2006 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

well im looking for peoples opinions on this religion? (they say theyre not a religion but they are really)

if you dont know what it is, heres some linkeys

wikipedia:
    scientology
    Xenu

critic websites:
    http://www.xenu.net
    http://www.scientology-lies.com
    http://www.xenutv.com

now i personally have done some research on them, i think it is a sinister and dangerous money spinning organisation, who uses brainwashing techniques to gain a grip on its members.

anyone who has tried to speak out about them has been silenced/harrased by them even to the point that one person who spoke out against them committed suicide, apparently free speech doesnt mean anything to them (i refer to the silencing of southpark)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've seen a bunch of threads about Scientology in several forums on Boards, and not one poster had anything positive to say about it.

Pity, really, as agreement doesn't promote debate. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

As an atheist I am interested in why people believe in religion when it seems completely illogical to me. So out of curiosity one day while walking down Caple Street I agreed to do a free personality test, knowing full well that they were indeed scientologists. They tested me, told me my personality was flawed and that they could fix me. Been the curious bloke I am agreed to do some work shops with them, never buying into their crap but wanting to know how they brainwash normal people into handing over huge sums of money to them. They show you videos and do tasks which are childlike and repetitive and tell you that for x amount of money they can clean you as far as the next stage when you will then have to pay more money to progress to the next step.
    They didn’t want me to leave their building when I asked for a smoke break, and they encouraged me to stay away from non scientologists. After a couple of weeks of curiosity, I decided to stop going along to their work shops as I had come to the conclusion that they were just a business out to brainwash people and were not actually a religion. The only reason they register as a religion is to get out of paying taxes.
    They hounded me for years afterwards through letters and phone calls (my fault for giving the slimy bastards my details) In a sinister turn, after not receiving any letters in over a year, I quit my job a few weeks ago, and within days I had two letters from them advertising "voluntary office administration positions" in their building. Now I don’t know how they know im outa work as I haven’t had contact with them in years, but the timing was unbelievable.
    They also tell you never to talk about their organization or they will take legal action against you. Not exactly open to criticism. My best advice to anyone is to stay clear of them. I went into them with no intention of falling for their crap, just on a reconnaissance mission if you like, but it was more hassle than it was worth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting experiences, clown.

Were you ever concerned that you might be sitting in a workshop one day thinking "yeah - these guys know what it's all about..."?

I don't think I could keep my mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Sadly they are not the only unscrupulous, deceiving organisation out there. It would be rather funny were it not so sad, they have wrecked many peoples' lives, a local guy here was famously abducted for them and taken to Denmark, he eventually came home a shadow of his former self.

Anyone who demands large sums of money in exchange for spiritual guidance is a charlatan as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.electricpublications.com

In reply to the atheist, at no stage did I find myself believing what they were trying to drill into me, but I did become concerned with the overall environment in which they were 'teaching me'. The building is actually on Abbey Street (opp arnotts) and not Capel Street as I originally said. Anyway in the building they have senior people standing over you while you fill out questionnaires for hours on end. Really childish repetitive stuff, which after a while you do find yourself getting caught up in. The longer I was there the more authoritarian they got. I remember after they showed me a video and afterwards asked me what I thought of it. I replied that it was a bit like in the Simpson’s when homer and the family were showed the video for a cult which they joined in one of the episodes. That went down like a lead balloon I can tell you. The looks I got off the people in the room.

One of the things that made me get out when I did was an engineering student who was a little further along than me in the work shops. He was a third year student doing engineering. Now I studied architecture and a little engineering. Logic rules. someone who works with loads / stress / tension / construction techniques is a logical rational person (at least in the professional part of their life) This student was completely converted to scientology at this stage and I remember thinking, if they can brainwash him, even though I’m not falling for it, I’m not hanging around to see what they do to me next. It was really sad to see among vulnerable people (who they see as easy converts), there were also capable people in their too, getting caught up in the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Just to add, sky news (speaking of brainwashing) have a special report on scientology tonight at 7pm. Seen it advertised there a few mins ago. dont know what way that works out with the sky news ireland programme which usuallly goes out at that time i think. (not a big sky news fan) might only be available to english viewers if thats the case, but im sure they'll repeat it if anyones interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

IMO, anyone who believes in that cult is an utter moron. I'm not the biggest fan of any organised religions, but at least Christianity, Islam, etc., have hundreds of years of history behind them; Scientology is just a f*cking ridiculous scam, and people who join it make me sick with their idiocy.

Just my opinion, it frustrates me that people fund this joke...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Scientology:
    The quasai-religious cult founded in 1954 by L ron Hubbard, a writer of sci-fi pulp who flunked out of college and was thrown out of the US navy. Hubbard famously said 'I'd like to start a religion.Thats where the money is.' Not since the medieval popes has an organised faith charged money for the knowledge of salvation with the rigorous exactitude of the Scientology sect. This has led to lawsuits from disgruntled customers and Govt fraud investigations. Anyone who joins the group pays a huge sum for each step up the bridge to total freedom, scientologys jargon for the pathway to paradise where, at its end, sits the immortal L Ron, clear and forever solvent. The trip to join hubbard and other liberated aliens for trillions of years of bliss can cost hundreds of thousands of euro.
    Homosexuality is a terrible evil to be charged with, according to scientology, although being gay might not be as bad as being a psychiatrist. A shrink is about as bad as a human can be, Hubbard wrote, because hes a terrorist who "kills young girls for sexual kicks, murders a dozon patients with an ice-pick, castrates a hundred men". Still, to hubbards way of thinking, homos were almost as dangerous. He decreed that gays "should be taken from society as rapidly as possible... for here is the level of contagion of immorality and the destruction of ethics. No social order will survive that doesnt remove them from its midst".
    So much for tolerance from hubbard, a man who never really died, or so his followers believe. Amazingly, hubbard merely dematerialised like an evaporating spill into a purer dimension of being while hiding out in his trailer, parked near the desert town of Creston CA, in 1986. He was 74, and left us promising to return in the flesh in precisely 13 years. He is still missing
    In addition to loopy philippics about homos, organised religion, psychiatry, journalists and such, hubbard taught that we are the souls - "thetans" - of exiled aliens captive in human bodies. Xenu, a rogue conquerour in a nasty galactic war 75 m years ago tossed us thetans to planet earth, casting us into volcanoes, blowing us up with bombs, and insuating really naughty lies, like the existance of a merciful god, into our little shell-shocked brains. Scientologists believe all human problems, such as murder, paranois sexual dysfunction and depression, stem from these wicked "engrams"(read "ideas") planted like memories in our "reactive"(read "subconscious") minds. And we are condemned to living them all over and over again until we are freed from them, made 'clear' through the ministrations of Scientology. Its confessional therapy employs the help of "E-meters", primitive lie detectors, a kind of poor mans psychotherapist, to seek out these repressed "lies".

Taken froman article in the Sunday Times magazine about Tom Cruise (pgs 21 and 23.) Just thought i'd give people an idea about scientology and what a load of complete crap they believe. I find it hard to believe that otherwise intelligent people would believe this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Junk mailing persistant bastards!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement