Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Recommendation - Death Metal?

• 11-04-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm trying to convince someone that he has the ability to like death metal. I need to find an album that would fit within the death-metal sphere, but also be somewhat accessible to someone who tends to like more obviously melodic music.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Sepultura?

I think are quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Death - Symbolic
    Pestilence - Spheres
    Carcass - Heartwork
    Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
    Opeth - Sill Life

Get any of the above for starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Carcass - Heartwork

Your Great, what a great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Early Soilwork, plus the Black Dahlia Murder seem to get people into it, saying it's the most original thing they;ve ever heard (as though they'd just forgotten about At The Gates completely :rolleyes: ). But definitely Death's Symbolic and SOund of Perseverance too. Just use melodic death to start, there's arse loads of them: Arch Enemy (Try Wages of Sin), Ablaze My Sorrow, Man Must Die(awesome band), Dark Tranquillity, Warbreed, Warblade, In FLames etc., you could try Necrophagist too, they're quite accessible (or The Shattering then too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Think he is looking for something a little more melodic for a beginner. I would suggest some opeth ( deliverance / damnation ? ), possibly some Black Dahlia Murder ( yeah LightofDarkness, they rock! )

Who knows, maybe this dude is a closet death fan :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

I'd suggest Children of Bodom - Follow The Reaper. They're a melodic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Possibly not strictly death metal here, but Faust Again are pretty decent. Generally speaking, I dislike 'death metal', but I find these guys fairly listenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

i think scar symmetry would be good for beginners - very melodic technical death metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Kalmah - The Black waltz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll for melodic thrash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BloodLust

At the gates-slaughter of the soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Death - Symbolic
    Pestilence - Spheres
    Carcass - Heartwork
    Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
    Opeth - Sill Life

Get any of the above for starters

I don't think you can go wrong with that little lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I got into Carcass through Symphonies of the Sick, which these days I kinda rate joint tops with Necroticism, so it's a way in. Was hooked from the opening of Reek of Putrefaction. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Most of 'The Haunted' is fairly beginner friendly, as is the later 'Morbid Angel' material, and the Dark Tranquility album 'The Gallery' has to be heard, by everyone, no exceptions, so its as good a place as any to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Death - Scream Bloody Gore
    Obituray - Cause Of Death
    Possessed - Seven Churches
    Suffocation - Human Waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

morbid angel - Gateways To Annihilation, LOL, that is accessible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Whoracle by In Flames got me into the growl vocals. Or try the live album The Tokyo Showdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

Carcass - Heartwork
    &
    At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

are 2 excellent suggestions. Brilliant!!!

I'd have to suggest Deicide - Deicide. In my opinion, it's the epitome of Death Metal: fast, heavy, hard and satanic but it's got some serious grooves that make it quite accessable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Although there's nothing melodic about them, I think Decapitated are a great way to start off in relation to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

Drummo wrote:

I'd have to suggest Deicide - Deicide. In my opinion, it's the epitome of Death Metal: fast, heavy, hard and satanic but it's got some serious grooves that make it quite accessable.

I 2nd that...get Uncle Glen to scare the **** out of Him/Her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Not that I've anything against Deicide, Morbid Angel & Decapitated....but I don't think they'd be the ones that I'd pick to advertise the more melodic side of Death Metal.

Pretty much most of the bands that seem to fit the bill would be Scandinavian

Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
    Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
    In Flames - Whoracle / Clayman
    The Haunted - Revolver
    At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
    Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper

Have to chuck in (pardon the 'chuck' pun)
    Death - Individual Thought Patterns
    Carcass - Heartwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ok, so I'm trying to convince someone that he has the ability to like death metal. I need to find an album that would fit within the death-metal sphere, but also be somewhat accessible to someone who tends to like more obviously melodic music.
    well what does he listen to at the moment? if we can find a DM band that play in a relatively similiar vein we can probably acquaint him with the genre...

Advertisement