Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Prob

Options
  • 11-04-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Got a emmmm problem??

I was spraying my garden fence on saturday and a knock came on my door yesterday evening. Basically this guy knocked in and said some of the spray got on his back windows and on a pram that he has had in the back yard since jan in the lashings of rain etc. I offered to wash the pram and window but the geezer didnt seem happy with this. dont mean to be predudice but he is a cream cracker. what am i supposed to do. advice would be great. is it really my fault the wind carried it there?

Blah :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Wash the stuff, if he is not happy then ignore hime and let him sue
    You should have warned him before you started you'll know in the futre:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Did you ask him what he wnated you to do, maybe ofering to pay him say a few bob for his troubles might keep the peace and save you the hassle of fighting with a neighbour as feuds can turn nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i offered to wash the stuff but he said no.. I will give him a warning when i finish the stuff off this saturday. i suppose it was my fault i didnt tell him but i just didnt think about that. back garden was empty apart from the pram up against the fence that i didnt see. once nothing more comes of it lol

a few bob are you nuts. there is no way he wold be getting money off me then he would be expecting money everytime something goes wrong. been a neighbour is all about give and take. I could easily complain to him about slamming his doors which caused my tv to fall of the wall. but i aint gonna go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Not nuts no, I suppose I just inhabit a different world to you...
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

i just dont see y i should give him cash ya know. sure how much would i have to give him. if it does end up coming to that it will pro bcause a feud about my tv and his pram.

I didnt say nothin abotu my tv cause as i said been a neighbour is give and take and the fact i offered to clean everything its a bit odd he said no and still looked at me. i wouldnt mind if i didnt get the impression he was only out for cash but i did and thats not right. I know i wouldnt be looking for cash. its just something that happens.

Ill just keep stum for the time been and warn him any other time im gonna be spraying and hope the wind blows the opposite way

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Jesus man, don't aggrivate the situation by spraying again. Bloody stuff goes everywhere. Can you do it with a brush or wait 'till you're sure he is out and the wind is blowing the other way. Sounds like you could get a thump if you go spraying again.

He's probably jealous of your sprayer. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

blahblah06 wrote:
    is it really my fault the wind carried it there?

yes it is.
    it's manners to inform your neighbour if you are going to do something like spray a fence, to check if there is anything that can be done in order to not damage any of his property.
    He's taking the piss though, offering to clean the mess up is all you need to do. Do not give any money.

LOL squire he better not nick my sprayer. but i have to spray again new shed is coming and that has to be done to.

beruth i know i was wrong about not telling him but will next time and i did offer to clean so there is nothing much else i can do really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Spray the remainder of his window and pram to match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

You are at fault you shouldn't have gotten pain on his stuff and shouldn't do any more spraying unless you can be sure you won't do any more damage.

He is perfectly entitled to have the items restored to their original condition, (or replaced if damaged beyond repair)

If he doesn't feel you are competent to repair / clean the items (or thinks you might do more damage) then it would be reasonable to suggest having the work done professionally.

You should only pay for damage done that can't easily be rectified.

Sounds like he is a prick, but you are in the wrong so have to put up with a bit of ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

prospect wrote:
    Spray the remainder of his window and pram to match.

Yeah, then blame the neighbour on the other side, saying you lent him the sprayer, get a couple of cans, pull up a deckchair and wait for the fireworks to start.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

if you cant wash the paint off the windows then you might have to pay him , but if he won't let you even try to clean it then i wouldn't pay him anything

Muckmagnet wrote:
    if you cant wash the paint off the windows then you might have to pay him , but if he won't let you even try to clean it then i wouldn't pay him anything

thats what i mean it came of ours fine with a sponge so i dont see why he wouldnt just let us try and take it off his. just seems very odd. ill let use know if anything comes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

yeah , in that case i'd do a commando job tonight , under the cover of darkness , hop over the fence with a sponge and bucket and scrub like bejaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im at a loss to establish what happened here. You say he knocked on the door, complained and then refused your offer of washing the pram and window. What happened then. You haven't told us.

Did he stand there and stare, did he say he wanted money, did he ask you to replace the items or what. I think you are being a bit conservative with the facts here.

On one hand you say that being a neighbour is about give and take and on the other hand you dont tell your neighbour that you intend to spray a fence where there was a strong risk that the spray would go into or on his property.

I have my doubts about all of this. But in any event I will wish you well with it

muffler wrote:
    Im at a loss to establish what happened here. You say he knocked on the door, complained and then refused your offer of washing the pram and window. What happened then. You haven't told us.

Did he stand there and stare, did he say he wanted money, did he ask you to replace the items or what. I think you are being a bit conservative with the facts here.

On one hand you say that being a neighbour is about give and take and on the other hand you dont tell your neighbour that you intend to spray a fence where there was a strong risk that the spray would go into or on his property.

I have my doubts about all of this. But in any event I will wish you well with it

well i thought i said but when i offered to do everything he did just stand there and kinda stare thats y i got the impression of money is what he wanted.

Yes been a neighbour is give and take but its my first house and i didnt know i was supposed to go in and tell me neighbour i was spraying so dont be an arse about it.

I have stated i take the responsibilty for not going in to tell him but how was i to know i was supposed to. I have also stated that i would keep everyone updated with anything that arised wether he wants money or anything. read the bloody thread

I dont see why you have any doubts

blahblah06 wrote:
    i offered to wash the stuff but he said no.. I will give him a warning when i finish the stuff off this saturday. i suppose it was my fault i didnt tell him but i just didnt think about that. back garden was empty apart from the pram up against the fence that i didnt see. once nothing more comes of it lol

just for you MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It was your fault the paint got on his windows, etc, but your offer of cleaning it should be enough.
    If you don't shift it, then he is entitled to have it done professionally and you liable to pay for it.
    Its like painting the outside of your house. I wouldn't dream of doing it without telling the neighbour that is down wind of it to move their car. Paint particles are very small and even though you think you are just brushing or rolloing it on, it will get in the air and travel as mist.

Maybe we'll see you on Judge Judy

How am i supposed to shift it if he wont let me ? I dont think he will take it any further but if he expects me to pay for it to be cleaned i will do. But he would be a right P***K if he doesnt le tme try and clean it like i have done with my windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,982 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if he's keeping the pram in his back garden then its probably little more than scrap anyway.

loyatemu wrote:
    if he's keeping the pram in his back garden then its probably little more than scrap anyway.

Thats exactly my point. it was covered in Mud etc. thats y i thought it was weird he looked at me odd.

blahblah06 wrote:
    but its my first house and i didnt know i was supposed to go in and tell me neighbour i was spraying so dont be an arse about it.

read the bloody thread

I dont see why you have any doubts

Apparantly you are old enough to buy a house but not very mature or considerate when it comes to living there.

I think the above post is ample proof

wtf u talking about ? if you have nothing to contribute then dont at all. I am sure everyone inlucding mr al mighty yourself has made mistakes.

i have admitted making a mistake in not asking its just I didnt know i had to as didnt expect it to blow everywere.

I am very considerate so dont start kicking me down when you dont even know me

Take it as constructive criticism. My posts were not intended to put you down in any way - just pointing out a couple of things. One thing I have learnt in life is that there are always 2 sides to every story and I have no reason to doubt what you were saying. But it was all a bit vague from the outset.

I live in a end terraced house myself and I would never do anything along the boundary or indeed anywhere else without talking to the neighbour if there was a risk that they would be affected in any way.

See what develops and yes, keep us posted. I think you will learn a lot from this incident and as I said earlier I wish you well with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

When you say cream cracker do you mean an actual member of the
    travelling community ? If so give him nothing the windows are probably more dirty on the inside than the outside . !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Lads,
    You're kind of straying from the point esp with the anti traveller stuff/aggressive posts.
    It might be too late now but for future reference if you stick cardboard about 0.5 metres high on the opposite side of the wall while spraying then it should (hopefully) stop the transfer of paint, salso spray close to the surface. I'm in my place a year and will call round next door to let them know if I'm doing a bit of work that might affect them (drilling etc.) I intend to be there a long time so its good practice to get on with your neighbours if you can. I'll be spraying my exterior walls in the summer and would ask my neighbours to move their cars even if its not windy (better than paying for a respray!)

I agree with most of the posts that if you've apologised and offered to clean it up and he's not having it, leave it there. Am I right in saying he didn't actually ask for money?

When you say cream cracker do you mean an actual member of the
    travelling community ? If so give him nothing the windows are probably more dirty on the inside than the outside . !

ye he is a member of the travelling community. thats y i feel very intimdated (sp?) in case something happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I think you shouldn't leave it at you offered to clean and that's enough. The guy is obviously put out, for whatever reason, whether justified or not, it's really not that important. In the longer term, you're much better off if you can get on with him, even if it's just for your own mental well being.

I pissed off my neighbours (or my electrician/plumber did really) by chasing the walls. Racket was really quite something. It was during the day mon-fri, so technically, probably would not need to worry about it. But at the same time I knew that i'm going to live there for a long time (or as long as AIB let me!), so it would be best to keep them happy. Bought them a Christmas hamper, nothing too expensive, but ever since it's been great. They bring the bins out for me when I forget, friendly when I meet them on the street, accept deliveries for me if I'm not there. Generally sound. I've no doubt it was worth the couple of euro it cost. So that's what I'd do, just buy him something small, don't give him cash, because it might be perceived as not enough, better something symbolic of you apology. Bottle of wine, spirits, with an apology note. Whatever you would like if the roles were reversed. It'll be worth it in the long run. Don't get on a high horse, about who's right and wrong, or whether you apology should have been enough, mistakes happen, people will understand as long as they know you're sorry.

• Advertisement

hi danny. thanks for ur post. do you mean put up cardboard on top of the fence like ? or even to hold it up while spraying. its in the back garden btw so the car thing doesnt really come into effect.

No he didnt ask for money. a guy from 1st thread said i should give him a few bob for his troubles..

Advertisement