Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Prob

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I think you shouldn't leave it at you offered to clean and that's enough. The guy is obviously put out, for whatever reason, whether justified or not, it's really not that important. In the longer term, you're much better off if you can get on with him, even if it's just for your own mental well being.

I pissed off my neighbours (or my electrician/plumber did really) by chasing the walls. Racket was really quite something. It was during the day mon-fri, so technically, probably would not need to worry about it. But at the same time I knew that i'm going to live there for a long time (or as long as AIB let me!), so it would be best to keep them happy. Bought them a Christmas hamper, nothing too expensive, but ever since it's been great. They bring the bins out for me when I forget, friendly when I meet them on the street, accept deliveries for me if I'm not there. Generally sound. I've no doubt it was worth the couple of euro it cost. So that's what I'd do, just buy him something small, don't give him cash, because it might be perceived as not enough, better something symbolic of you apology. Bottle of wine, spirits, with an apology note. Whatever you would like if the roles were reversed. It'll be worth it in the long run. Don't get on a high horse, about who's right and wrong, or whether you apology should have been enough, mistakes happen, people will understand as long as they know you're sorry.

You know patrick that actually makes sense mate.. i think ill go the offo and get them a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Im sorry to hear that BLAH BLAH but if i were you i would leave it alone and see what happens you have done all you can or should be obliged to do ! I have had my fill of these people down the years and cant imagine what it must be like to actually live next to one ( and yes for all you do gooders they are all the same ) Suppose if he is one there is no fear of him reading your post here LOL !!!

lol lol lol. well it is a pain in the arse to feel petrified something will happen our house or god forbid my new car. But i suppose you cant pick your neighbours. mind u he is prob callin me a b****x for doing what i did

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Suppose if he is one there is no fear of him reading your post here LOL !!!
    You'd be surprised. I had a wee bit of bother with a couple of them on my forum. Coudn't tell obviously who they were or who was actaully typing but yes they reacted to a couple of posts on a particular topic.

Sorry that was a bit off topic

Nah mate its good to hear. I am sure i am the same as everyone. No doubt the lads are fine next door to be but you still have to worry thats all. Now what to put on this letter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Just keep it simple ... nothing too long, no more than a line or two. The more you say, the more possibilty you'll remind them of the perceived terrible wrong you have done them rather the nice bottle of booze you've given them.

Just keep it simple ... nothing too long, no more than a line or two. The more you say, the more possibilty you'll remind them of the perceived terrible wrong you have done them rather than the nice bottle of booze you've given them.

well what about this or to long.

Hi Guys ,

myself and ***** are terribly sorry for what happend on say. we just want to write a quick note to apologise for the above. we realise we have caused you an inconvience and would like to offer you this bottle of wine as a good will gesture.

Plz accept our apology

dont mind the spelling ...

Pretty good, might just cut out the 'for the above' and 'we realise we have caused you an inconvience'. They might consider it more than an inconvience.
    How about...

'myself and ***** are terribly sorry for what happend. we just want to write a quick note to apologise and would like to offer you this bottle of wine as a good will gesture.

Please accept our apology'

Hope it all goes well for you, let us know how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I reckon the bottle is a good gesture - knock on the door though, better than a note.
    My neighbours have been sound - even got Christmas cards welcoming us to the area from ones I didn't know! Theres one family across the street who just stare at us if we say hello but we've done nothing to them (not even parked in their space) so I don't lose sleep over it.

Re the cardboard, if its a fence just staple it on the back of the fence with heavy duty staples and a staple gun, could be trickier if its a stone/concrete wall. I suppose thats where neighbourly cooperation comes in. ;)
    Good Luck

• Advertisement

ill knock in alright but im not gonna put the note in an envelope as they will prob think its money.

:) Now you're talking.

:) Now you're talking.

i knew boards would help me solve this problem haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Make sure its a small bottle of wine because if you give them a big bottle and they get kinda sloshed the bill hooks could come out :D:D

Nah seriously, I think the last few posts are correct. Knock on the door, say sorry and hopefully shake hands on it. Just an idea but maybe you could offer to spray his side of the wall/fence as a gesture of good will

Well then he would have to do the other 3 fences around his back garden. a bottle of wine will do for now haha

brought in a bottle of wine and the note but they wouldnt accept it. kept saying take it but they wouldnt. at least i made the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Wouldn't accept it in a good way " No your fine, thanks for the offer but we don't drink alcohol. Your fence looks great by the way" or in a bad way "take you friggin' bottle of wine and shove it....."?

well he didnt say take your bottle and shove it so at least thats sumthing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

But was he nice about it?

• Advertisement

well as nice as he could be i suppose. just still a bit annoyed he didnt take it of me. Its onl good form to accept the bottle as an apology. feck it sure ill have a good night tonight LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Probably wasnt a good vintage lol:D

Well you tried your best, you've nothing to be ashamed of. Probably best to leave it alone now... and make sure you don't spray him again :-)

Well i will try my best when i spray the shed tomorrow. gonna try that cardboard thing

guess what. went out my back garden today and my fence and concrete pillars were ruined with his red fence paint that he painted on. Was watchin him do it and he was lashing the paint on the concrete which came onto my side. spent ages doing it dont know wether to knock in..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You should have offered him Buckfast.

Seriously though - I'd not bother saying anything. Show him that you're better than him by turning the other cheek.

Not that I'm a bible-basher or the like, but feuds between neighbours can escalate horribly. Do you really want to spend the rest of your days in your gaff stressed out coz of a row with your tosser neighbour over a few splashes of paint?

Don't let the b@stard grind you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hill Billy is giving good advice. Whatever you do don't escalate as it'll just get worse and do you really need the extra stress in your life?

Take a few deep breaths, count to infitiy a couple of times etc. Take it that the ledger is balanced now.

Just take care the next time you're painting.

Also you can take some consolation that you can tell everyone the story of your neighbour that acts like a 2 year old. Be the bigger man/woman. Just fix the damage thats been done and move on with life.

Calm blue ocean.

lol i was just taking the piss i aint gonna knock in. couldnt be bothered with him tbh. were just keeping to ourselves while drinking the bottle of wine LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

blahblah06 wrote:
    lol i was just taking the piss i aint gonna knock in. couldnt be bothered with him tbh. were just keeping to ourselves while drinking the bottle of wine LOL

Take a picture of the paint damage he caused before you fix it up. Just in case he ever comes back to you with a bill to clean his windows & pram.

Then plant some Leylande (Sp) and block all his light :p

• Advertisement

Oh very nice idea. cheers lad

Advertisement