Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading electrics in Victorian building

Options
  • 11-04-2006 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Need to upgrade electrics in Victorian building. Three storey over basement. Had a report completed by electrical contractor. News not good. Basically needs to be completely rewired. New main distribution board required along with rewiring lighting, power, earthing, and sub-distribution boards. Looking into also installing fire alarm and emmergency lighting in order to comply with building regulations.Obviously standards have changed considerably in last few years, so building no longer fully compliant.

I have received a couple of quotes at this stage. To be honest they vary greatly. One quote almost 35% more expensive, but seems to include greater detail, and contractor was recommended. This is a fairly large job as tenants ( residential and office ) present in building and they will have to be accomadated during disruption.

Will be meeting with one of contractors shortly to discuss further. What kind of questions should I be asking ? Would it be best at this stage, to have an architect on board who has experience of this kind of renovation ?

Any issues we should look out for as it's an older building ? Whats the best way to deal with tenants? Early days yet, so basically looking for advice on how best to approach this ? Any of your experiences on similar renovation would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Lavenue

Consider wiring a few Data points in each room with Cat6e. Have them all running back to a room when all your entertainment equipment could be located. This then gives you endless capabilities for broadband, Phone, TV, music, data, fax etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If possible, run some large, accessible conjutes around the building. This will minimise the impact for any further upgrade work in the future.

You may be able to do this first, run the backbone of the system through the conjutes and then do the remainder of the work in the building room by room, therfore limiting the 'annoyance' to one tenant at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

I'll ask about conjutes, but may be restricted due to age of building. Need to check if it's listed. Not sure whetheir this would affect interior alterations.

Have considered putting in cabling to allow offices access to internal servers. Three rooms largest office. Worth considering depending on cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll ask about conjutes, but may be restricted due to age of building.
    Ask about conduits instead ... they might know what you're talking about then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Alun wrote:
    Ask about conduits instead ... they might know what you're talking about then :)

eeep :o

• Advertisement

Ah, conduits ! Thanks. Better get the basics right or we'll be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Maybe part of the difference in the prices you have received is each contractor is looking at the job in a different way.

One may be quoting for the fastest way to rewire the building, another may not be taking the possibility that the building is listed into consideration while the third may be covering all of the above.

If you could set out a specification for them to price to you should at least get the job you want done, specify the number of sockets, lights etc.

Also where conduit is acceptable and where the walls must be chased and made good, this may be a more important issue where the commercial tennants are concerned as they may need to be consulted about possible business disruption, noise etc.

An interesting project regardless of the "Listing" status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you might want want to get a plan drawn up by an electrical engineer for pricing.the plan would show the emergency lighting,fire panels and metering setup.you'd know better where you stand with quotes then

Follow up to initial post. I now have a number of quotes. One of the plans is to put in a Fire alarm system. Insurrance company has recommended that it should be up to L3 standard. One of the quotes has suggested that system they will put in will be L2 complient. I'm wondering what the difference is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

On firesafe.co.uk

Type M: Manual system (call points).
    Type L5: Life safety generally when specific fire engineering solutions or where PI insurance is required.
    Type L4: Life safety system, same as a manual system plus smoke detection on escape route.
    Type L3: Life safety system, same as a manual system plus smoke detection on escape route and heat or smoke detection in adjacent rooms.
    Type L2: Life safety system, same as L3 but detection in fire hazard/risk of ignition i.e. kitchens, sleeping areas and other specified areas.
    Type L1: Life safety system, similar to P1 but the audibility is more critical.

Might not make you any the wiser but might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Further clarification of Irish Fire Alarm Standard IS 3218

L3 system: Detection in escape routes and adjoining areas
    L2 system : As above but with area of higher risk covered, kitchen, boiler house etc
    L1 system: All rooms covered
    Audibility requirements are the same for all types

L2/L3 are used for offices etc
    L1 is used in sleeping accomodation i.e.nursing homes, hotels.

Advertisement