Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good / Bad Tallaght estate agent?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

hi - does anyone have any input good or bad on Tallaght Estate Agents? Unsure who to go with to sell a house?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Have viewed houses with pretty much all of the estate agents around I'd say at this stage..
    The only bad experience I've had is with Castle, so I'd say avoid like the plague. Other people I know have said the same thing.
    I'm using Remax to sell my place & so far no problem, just make sure you shop around for the best price. Ring around a few agents & get the lowest price. Don't agree to pay fees unless you have to or you'll have to pay up if you decide to pull the house off the market for whatever reason.
    Got an ad in the door the other day for www.movehome.ie. Not sure what their like, but they're considerably cheaper than any other estate agents!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As well as renting, you can also sell houses on www.daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭taby_dub

Oral Slang wrote:
    Have viewed houses with pretty much all of the estate agents around I'd say at this stage..
    The only bad experience I've had is with Castle, so I'd say avoid like the plague. Other people I know have said the same thing.
    I'm using Remax to sell my place & so far no problem, just make sure you shop around for the best price. Ring around a few agents & get the lowest price. Don't agree to pay fees unless you have to or you'll have to pay up if you decide to pull the house off the market for whatever reason.
    Got an ad in the door the other day for www.movehome.ie. Not sure what their like, but they're considerably cheaper than any other estate agents!

Hi Oral,

I read your post about Castles and to be fair unless contracts were signed you have no comeback!!! Its the Agents job regards of the company to pass on all offers and to let the seller know who is the best buyer and in the best position.
    If the underbids called to the house that is hardly the estate agents fault and if they made an offer to the vendors what is he to do tell them it invalid??? At the end of the day its a sellers market and the agents are only doing there job, if it was the other way around wouldnt you want them to get the best price for your property with a buyer who will give then a hassle free sale eg: have there funds in place arent in a really long chain etc

Think you should be a bit more careful about tarnishing peoples reputations.

Dubgirl ring around at least 3 companys

Eg: Lowes, Property Partners, castles, tom maher, remax etc

Just remember to choose an agent your comfortable with and haggle with the fee.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Oral Slang wrote:
    I used Castles to sell my house 6 months ago and found them to be brilliant. I got a great price for the house too. They kept me informed of everything - I got a phone call every 2 days or so. I probably could have found a cheaper estate agent but IMO the price was good enough value (if you can consider any estate agent to be good value, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

taby_dub wrote:
    Hi Oral,I read your post about Castles and to be fair unless contracts were signed you have no comeback!!! Its the Agents job regards of the company to pass on all offers and to let the seller know who is the best buyer and in the best position.
    If the underbids called to the house that is hardly the estate agents fault and if they made an offer to the vendors what is he to do tell them it invalid???

Yeah, I think thats exactly what they should do.. A verbal contract should count for something, reneging on this 3 times is disgraceful.
    The 1st time being told we were sale agreed and then not was a bit of a bummer. Then being told that we were the highest bidder but the vendor wanted to sell to the other people was infuriating. The 2nd time being told we were sale agreed and then not was really upsetting. But after a weekend of being sale agreed and then told on a Monday that we weren't for the 3rd time, was just ridiculous. Throughout all of this we were made feel guilty for ever bidding on the house - ie, they really want this area, they have to borrow to keep bidding, or they are now dipping into their wedding fund.. I don't care what anyone says, that's dreadful practice for an agent to put anyone in that sort of position.. No bids should have been accepted from us if they weren't going to sell to us which I don't think they ever were. They were trying to get rid of us all through the bidding process..

In the time we've been selling/buying, we must have dealt with about 20 different estate agents & bid on at least 10/15 houses & I never dealt with a more incompetent estate agent. 3 times I put forward questions for the vendor - whether they are leaving certain fixtures & fittings & 3 times the agent came back with, "oh I must ask them that, I forgot to"...

Its up to yourself DubGirl, but don't be surprised to have major problems if you deal with them. As I said in my first post, I was warned not to buy from them from someone that had major problems with them, but I decided to give them a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

thanks for the advice folks - after having 3 different estate agents around to the house we have decided to go with Tom Maher - seemed to be the most likely to push for a higher amount rather than just going for the quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

dubgirl wrote: »
    thanks for the advice folks - after having 3 different estate agents around to the house we have decided to go with Tom Maher - seemed to be the most likely to push for a higher amount rather than just going for the quick sale.

Just wondering how you found Tom Maher Estate Agents? Where they any good? Anyone else got any updates or opinions on Tallaght Estate Agents for buying or (especially) selling their home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Weyhey wrote: »
    Just wondering how you found Tom Maher Estate Agents? Where they any good? Anyone else got any updates or opinions on Tallaght Estate Agents for buying or (especially) selling their home?

I used Murphy Mullan, I couldn't complain. He actually sold my house which is damn sight more than some of the others are doing in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

What kind of fees should you be paying an estate agent I've a two bed apartment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

What kind of fees should you be paying an estate agent I've a two bed apartment ?

1% + vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Uuuh Patsy wrote: »
    I used Murphy Mullan, I couldn't complain. He actually sold my house which is damn sight more than some of the others are doing in the current market.

Thanks Patsy for the reply. Can I ask roughly how long it took to sell your house? I know the market is changing weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pszczola

I have to pay a ten thousand euros deposit on a house to an estate agent i am interested in buying is this correct and should i have solicitor before i pay anything over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Pszczola wrote: »
    I have to pay a ten thousand euros deposit on a house to an estate agent i am interested in buying is this correct and should i have solicitor before i pay anything over

Firstly, you should have started a new thread and not drag up an old unrelated one.

Yes it's normal to pay a booking deposit when you went to buy a property. You don't need a solicitor for this, but if you want to proceed futher (i.e. get contracts drawn up) you will definitely need one.

This deposit is fully refundable. The deposit you pay on signing contracts isn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dubgirl wrote: »

Tom Maher is excellent. My mam used them to sell the house last year and no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

Castle are a bunch of cowboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tom Maher has a reputation as a complete <unt. If you want an agent who'll get up the noses of every buyer that comes to see the place, he's your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Tom Maher has a reputation as a complete <unt. If you want an agent who'll get up the noses of every buyer that comes to see the place, he's your man.

Pretty much describes my experience of his office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement