Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battleground Europe (World War II Online)

• 11-04-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

An ''always available'' 14-day free trial is now available for Battleground Europe, otherwise known as World War II Online (WWIIOL).

I've been playing this game for a year now and it's fantastic. For those of you not familliar with it, Battleground Europe is a massively multiplayer first person, WWII simulation set in a single persistent world - a half scale model of western europe.

You can fight as one of many infantry types, armoured vehicles, anti tank and air guns, naval vessels or aircraft. 80 vehicles and planes are modelled in total.

What makes WWIIOL different from the other first person shooters out there is the single game world and the attention to detail and realism. All vehicles have detailed damage models and ballistics are simulated accurately. If your weapon doesn't have the calibre or muzzle velocity to penetrate armour of a particular thickness, you can pound away, but it will do you no good.

The thrill of fighing alongside thousands of players against thousands more in a single game world is exhillarating!

The game also has a strategic layer where you can affect the quantity and type of equipment available to the other side by strategic level bombing.

Here's a link to the free trial...

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/be_info.jsp;jsessionid=D5DF163D811CFFEDD855060842068597.2

Give it a go!

Anyone else in Ireland playing this?

If you do happen to try it out, my game name is Di11on and I'll be glad to give you a hand starting out and introduce you to many of the squads that fight together (like clans in other MMOGs). Just drop me a pm here or in-game if you're interested.

besig450x1505cv.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

you have to give your credit card details when signing up for a 14 day trial :(

thats a no from me then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Poo! Really? I didn't realise.

That's a pity. Anyone's wallet lying about? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played it before,thought it was utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

If you want instant action and state of the art graphics, WWIIOL probably won't be the game for you.

It's more of a simulation than existing first person shooters like BF2.

It's the fact that you fight with and against thousands in a single persistent game world that makes it unique.

The game ''takes place'' in WWII europe and the axis and allies fight it out untill one side controls all of europe which can take weeks or months, or sometimes days. The map is vast!

Just wanted to clarify that it's not pretending to compete with games like BF2 it's a totally different beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

In respect to entering of credit card details you can just make the number up when signing up as they dont check due to the fact they are not charging you anything.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

This game comes up every few months or so. With each incarnation, the graphics get more lost in the past. The gameplay, while very, very nice, is surpassed by Counter-strike, Day of Defeat and perhaps, yes, even Planetside.

I like the game, I just cant seem myself paying a subscription to play it.

Advertisement