Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website - space use

Options
  • 11-04-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I know very little about web design or hosting and I hope you will be able to help me with an issue.

I have a family photo website that is of no interest to anyone outside my family (and probably not of a lot of interest to them). The URL is www.deejayem.com. I am not using more that 500MB of space out of the 12GB I believe I have allocated to me. I want to use some of the space for photo galleries or blogs but I don't want easy navigation to my family website. How do I achieve this?
    I put up a photo library at http://www.deejayem.com/bupa%202/ for example but it is simple to navigate from there to my "private" site.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

host it on a second domain name? Password protect or otherwise obscure your family site perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Have a look at setting up a .htaccess file or something like that, which can be used to password-protect an area of your site.

A quick google turned up this site, which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks for your help. If I could avoid it I would like to leave my site without a password as getting family members to use is a bit difficult as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well then how about just moving it to a subdirectory which only your family members know the name of (eg http://www.deejayem.com/something/). It will still be fully acessable to anyone who types in the address, or maybe follows a direct link from somewhere, but prehaps not so obvious to the passer by.

.htaccess files can also be used to make sure the search engines don't index your site (won't show up in google search results).

But putting a password on it is the only way I know of to seriously limit access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks Goodshape. I might try moving the webpages first before digging any deeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement