Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Asp question

Options
  • 11-04-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

For my sins I've inhereted a classic asp application and I don't know classic asp very well.

Here's the problem. The application uses iframes, the iframes have a timeout of 1 second. We can't change this situation. The pages we're trying to display in the iframes are being generated dynamically and we can't be sure they'll be generated in time. So ....

Here's what I want to do:

Load a 'Please wait' page, and from this please wait page *somehow* call a function that will generate the required ResultSet, when the function is complete then call a redirect to a new page which will display the result set. I REALLY don't want to go writing COM+ for this, can it be done through JavaScript?! Or maybe call an asp page in the background to do it for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It sounds like you're really just trying to bodge in an extension to the 1 second timeout, which begs the question can this really not just be changed ? If it can't be changed because you've no access to the server, you should be able to change it in code for individual pages, Server.ScriptTimeout = x iirc.

If this is no good, I'm not sure what you could do, you could have an intermediary page, but really that's going to run into the same timeout problem, and passing you're results to the iframe is going to be messy too (actually isn't there some kind of bug with classic asp where iframes can't see session variables ?).

The only thing really that'll just work will be some kind of client sided ajax-ish thing and that's really going to mean com+.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The application in question is like a framework in that other projects are plugging into it (into other iframes). We've convinced *them* to increase the default timeout.

Thanks though.

Advertisement