Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does the NCT add value!

Options
  • 11-04-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Been looking at FS Motors section, alot of people stressing that the car has a two year NCT. What does this actually mean?, the car will give no problem for two years, cause believe me there are stupid enough people out there that believe that bullsh*t.

I remember watching the news some time back where a women in the city centre of Dublin bought a Golf which had only gone through the NCT only to discover months later that she bought two halfs of a Golf.

I think that the NCT is a good idea but at the same time I am finding it hard to believe that it can offer me guarantees that the car will be of an acceptable level for the duration stated on the cert.

To be fair an honest my car went to the NCT with the new exhaust in the boot and the mechanic told the NCT guy that he would fit it back at the garage. The old 20e in the ash tray still lives on....

NCT does not check the condition of the engine, therefore when you go to buy a car and inspect the NCT is correct, it doesnt mean that the engine isnt going to fall out of the arse of the car. What good is a car without an engine.

I just cant get the NCT'd car for sale thoery straight. When it comes to motoring in this country its like the blind leading the blind, no one has a clue, or sorry alot of people dont have a clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I mentioned the NCT in my ad, but it was more from the convenience POV, in other words the potential new owner need not worry about the hassle of booking and bringing the car to the NCT for another two years!
    I dont think it ads value, but it is a fair indication that the car is in reasonable condition.
    See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054907082

Also, in the Rules for the FS Motors, it states that you must include NCT details if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The NCT is not a certificate of reliability. It is only a certificate of road worthiness. I don't think it adds any value to the car but rather makes it easier to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Prospect, I buy the car only for it will be another couple of years before it comes into my plans. Did you go on the photo challenge yet.

Bazz, I understand what your saying however there are people who believe because the car has an NCT it is worth more than a car without. Personally it only worth the extra cost of getting the test done and maybe a quick service.

But there people who will add hundreds if not an extra thousand or so onto the price of the car because it has a Cert of road worthiness

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905741

This is a nice car but way over valued. I made what I though was a sensible offer of €1500. The last post stresses that there will be a 2 yr nct on the car before sale. SO!!

My point is that if the car is so good buy it without the NCT and put it through the NCT yourself and save yourself a couple of monkeys in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

bazz26 wrote:
    The NCT is not a certificate of reliability. It is only a certificate of road worthiness. I don't think it adds any value to the car but rather makes it easier to sell.

I second this, I think it adds "sale-ability". It's a bonus on good car, and a tie-breaker if you're looking at a few similar cars.

If it was a 10 year old car with 2 months NCT and the seller was telling you "It'll fly through" but hasn't done it himself... well, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kluivert wrote:
    Prospect, I buy the car only for it will be another couple of years before it comes into my plans. Did you go on the photo challenge yet.

Ah, sure splash out now and treat yourself ;)

Haven't considered the photo challenge yet, as I fear I wont have the '5 long enough to complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I'd be suspicious why it doesn't have a NCT. If its just run out and they don't do it, I would have to wonder.

If you know little about cars at least a recent nct means somebody has had a good look at it all.

I understand but then it shouldnt add value to the car.

This depends on which side of the coin your looking at.

Some people (the people I am referring to) add an extra couple of hundred euro onto the price off the car if the car has an NCT.

As a car should have an NCT in the first place, what am saying is that there shouldnt be an extra cost added to the car when you go to sell it. If so it should go be the cost of the NCT itself and no more.

How can you justify charging extra for a NCT that has an NCT when it should have one anyway.

Am i explaining this properly.

If the car doesnt have a current NCT then the price of the car should be reduced.

Prospect - My plans is to buy a '5 but to keep it garage, it would be for weekends and road trips down to strawberry hall, however I have no garage and I am looking to build the house next summer. Beautiful and fun car to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Kluivert -

Of course a car with a fresh NCT will be worth more than one without! The reasons for this are as follows:

1. The car has been recently examined by an independent mechanic and has been found to be roadworthy.

2. The purchaser will not have to go to the trouble & expense of NCTing the car again for 2 years.

With regard to pricing, any car is worth what the market will pay. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As someone looking at buying their first car I think a fresh NCT adds a bit of value. It's an assurance that you're not going to have to shell out to get light beams readjusted, brakes recalibrated etc. in the near future in order to pass the NCT yourself.

It's certainly not the same as a warranty but it does let you know that certain things shouldn't need any work in the next while...

Personally, I'd probably pay an extra two to five hundred for a freshly NCT'd car, depending on the year/model/condition etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking for a car rght now and I'm not even bothering with stuff thats not got a good 6-8 months NCT, partly its becuase I'm lazy. If a car has no NCT then one of the first things I'll have to do is get it done. That might mean spending money. If on the other hand I get something with 2 years NCT thats like free money to me! Same with road tax. But also, if a cars got a fresh NCT then chances are some important things have had money spent on them - like brakes. I like to stop.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Last year I got a car for FREE! Why you ask, what was wrong with it, was it a Lada? Nothing wrong, except it was a UK reg, Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 petrol, and no body wanted it, too much VRT, have to put it through an NCT, too much tax, bla bla bla. €315 vrt, new wishbone, tyres and exhaust mid section €400, tax €500 = Car with two years NCT, sold for €1500 at the end. So yes it does appear that people will pay for a car with a NCT. Just on a seperate note, it would appear that once people put the car through an NCT, thats all the maintainence it needs for another two years. I would like to see the NCT become annual, like the MOT in the UK, rather than everyone fixing what fails the NCT after two years!

The_Magoo wrote:
    Last year I got a car for FREE! Why you ask, what was wrong with it, was it a Lada? Nothing wrong, except it was a UK reg, Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 petrol, and no body wanted it, too much VRT, have to put it through an NCT, too much tax, bla bla bla. €315 vrt, new wishbone, tyres and exhaust mid section €400, tax €500 = Car with two years NCT, sold for €1500 at the end. So yes it does appear that people will pay for a car with a NCT. Just on a seperate note, it would appear that once people put the car through an NCT, thats all the maintainence it needs for another two years. I would like to see the NCT become annual, like the MOT in the UK, rather than everyone fixing what fails the NCT after two years!

:D €285 profit happy days. Thats a night out.

I have a 1994 Clio sitting outside the house, its worth nothing but I could clean it up and put it through the NCT and sell it for something, and it worth nothing.

Agree with your side note. I spoke to friends mum who got a new car two years and its still not serviced why, its not due for the NCT till next year. lol.

I cant sell my 1999 Astra its in better condition than the abused crap two three year cars there is on the roads now.

kluivert wrote:
    Agree with your side note. I spoke to friends mum who got a new car two years and its still not serviced why, its not due for the NCT till next year. lol.

I agree with you that this is just crazy! Of course, we have to ask ourselves whether such people would ever have serviced their cars before the introduction of the NCT.

Anan1 wrote:
    I agree with you that this is just crazy! Of course, we have to ask ourselves whether such people would ever have serviced their cars before the introduction of the NCT.

The person am renting a room from in his house has told me that he has never serviced his 01 Corrolla. Tops up the oil and coolant when it needs to be done. And its a little flyer, although the engine was replaced last year under a recall or something.

I think the MOT is a better test. Should be introduced here. No one picked up on the point that my car went to the NCT without an exhaust, the new exhaust was in the boot. Yet the emission where perfect. Is this possible.

kluivert wrote:
    No one picked up on the point that my car went to the NCT without an exhaust, the new exhaust was in the boot. Yet the emission where perfect. Is this possible.

It is possible, depending on what part of the exhaust was worn out. Cars need a certain amount of back-pressure from the exhaust, as well as a functioning catalyst. A car with a perforated back box could, I suppose, still give acceptable readings.

Anan1 wrote:
    It is possible, depending on what part of the exhaust was worn out. Cars need a certain amount of back-pressure from the exhaust, as well as a functioning catalyst. A car with a perforated back box could, I suppose, still give acceptable readings.

You reckon yeah, it was the back box that was gone. I got the mechanic to take it to the NCT centre and he told the lad there that he would fit it when he got back to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm not pushed on NCT's when buying unless it's only been done in the previous couple of weeks and even then I'm cynical. A lot of the tests the NCT do are for imbalances. You can have a car with knackered shocks, but as long as they're equally knackered on either side and not leaking, it'll pass. The same with brakes. The visual inspection is a bit more useful where they look at tyres bushings, brake lines etc...

Having said that, I always try and have a fresh NCT on a car before trying to sell it. The critical thing when trying to sell a car is getting somebody to come and look at it, and you'll get more people to do this with a fresh NCT.

Advertisement