Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for lunch time snacks

• 11-04-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I've been trying to sort my diet out and its a slow process.

For Breakfast now I have porridge with water and spoon of sugar & banana (gotta ween myself off the sugar but pretty good all the same).

Lunch is the problem really. Had been eating rolls but am now trying to stick to baked potato with Tuna/Carrot & Peppers or the night before leftovers (generally a healthy stir fry or something similar). But to seeeten teh deal of eating healthier I convince myself a pack of crisps would be ok :(

What can I sub for these crisps that would be a healthy option ?
    Not looking to lose much weight on my new diet. Just generally trying to eat healthy.

Cheers,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I weened myself off sweeties by snaking on some almonds(like 5 or 6 not a sack) and a few dried apricots - they're pretty tasty! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I don't think a baked potato is a good substitute for rolls. You would be better off going for a wholemeal bread with tuna and salad.

I think also you should have your porridge with skimmed milk and banana. You are right to drop the sugar though.

Why not simply have some fruit instead of the crisps?

Have six meals a day. Spaced roughly three hours apart.

(1) Breakfast. Yours is good
    (2) Snack - fruit or whole meal bread
    (3) Lunch - wholemeal bread/tuna/salad, or leftovers of decent meal (lean meat/veg/low gi carbs such as cous cous/bulgar wheat/wholemeal pasta/brown rice)
    (4) Snack - as tk123 suggests
    (5) Dinner - lean meat/veg/low GI carbs such as cous cous/bulgar wheat/wholemeal pasta/brown rice
    (6) Snack - natural youghurt with some fruit or wholemeal bread and low fat cheese.

Check out the Fitness forum stickies for way more on this. g'em gives good posts on this stuff, and I'm really only plagerising her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

MicraBoy wrote:
    Have six meals a day.

I don't think he knows about second breakfast.
    What about and elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, supper?

I don't think he knows about second breakfast.
    What about and elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, supper?

But I included elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

MicraBoy wrote:
    I don't think a baked potato is a good substitute for rolls. You would be better off going for a wholemeal bread with tuna and salad.

I think also you should have your porridge with skimmed milk and banana. You are right to drop the sugar though.

Why not simply have some fruit instead of the crisps?

Thanks.
    I thought a baked potato was a much better option.
    When you say wholemeanl bread...do you mean like Brennans brown bread !?

Also, why the skmmied milk insted of water. Although I'm sure it'd taste better with milk than water :)

Fruit ? I have a fair bit of fruit already. Might try tk123's suggestion.

Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

If you're not trying to lose weight then you could try something like trail mix or any mixtures of nuts/seeds. Sesame sticks are also lovely but I'm not sure how they'd stack up in the "good for you" stakes against crisps.

I'd disagree about the bread rather than potato but I'd be a lot more focused on weightloss. If you were going to have bread I'd suggest real bread from a bakery or a wholegrain bread i.e. one with nuts/seeds in it. The Blazing Salads organic breads are nice. I love their sourdough rye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

thanks. Not lookign to lose weight. Just looking to eat healthier.
    "...trail mix or any mixtures of nuts/seeds. Sesame sticks..." All sounds good.

I thought a baked potato was a much better option.
    When you say wholemeanl bread...do you mean like Brennans brown bread !?

Also, why the skmmied milk insted of water. Although I'm sure it'd taste better with milk than water

Fruit ? I have a fair bit of fruit already. Might try tk123's suggestion.

No most brown breads are either mostly white flour and dye, or only a small porportion of wholemeal flour. It should say wholemeal, but check the ingredients, it's the only way to know. As Misty says whole grain breads are good too, but thats slightly different to wholemeal which refers to using less processed flour. In general to eat healthly you should avoid processed foods as much as possible and eat whole grains. e.g porridge or muesli rather than cornflakes is a good start.

The skimmed milk thing is about balance. Eating healthly is not about cutting out what you perceive as fattening. Its about getting a balance. You should aim to eat roughly 40% Carbs (low GI, whole grain type carbs) 40% protein (lean meats, pulses) and 20% Fats (good fats like natural oils - olive, peanut, not hydrogenated fats that are in every thing processed!). Milk is good for the protein content, water is just well water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Londis do nice boxes of grapes that I have been picking up for breakfast recently.

Advertisement