Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB / house phone prob?? Any Suggestions?

• 11-04-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

:confused::confused::confused: Hello there, hope some1 can help me.:confused::confused::confused:

My sister has eircom broadband in her house but when she makes a phone call she gets cut off the internet, here is the setup.

1) A normal landline phone which works ok,
    2) this line splits into 2 lines, one for another phone which is wireless, the other line for broadband.

Basically the landline works ok and doesn't cut off the internet while making a call. The wireless phone is the problem though, when I try to make a call it cuts off the internet. So I swapped the phones over becuase if one was to work I would prefer the wiresless phone.

I rang eircom and they told me that that wouldn't work using a wireless phone and broadband at the same time if they were to close together. Does any1 know a soloution to this problem or has had the same problem I would be grateful what your thoughts are on this as I would ideally like to use both phones + the bb at the same time.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I kinda had the same problem. I had a landline and cordless plugged into same socket with a filter but when I made a call it was an engaged tone, broadband stayed active. I just left the cordless on its own and it makes calls fine, Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You do have a filter on both phones don't you? Is the BB modem on a line that's split from the back of your main phone socket?

Anyway, some DECT cordless phones have been known to cause problems with broadband. The solution, I think, is to remove the DECT phone, or replace it with one that doesn't cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Deadbeet

the main telephone line goes into the phone which then comes out of the phone and goes into a splitter. The splitter then splits into 2. 1 for the bb and 1 for the wireless phone. the thing is the wireless phone is actually made by eircom lol but say telecom eireann on it so prob old technology. Thx for the DECT bit, i'll have to have a look into that

Sy Jor el,

the answer to your question is yes, my eircom modem is connecting to a line that has already been split, if i switch the modem to the main line and run both phones off the split connection I wonder if that would work.???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The standard recommendation for bb is that the bb connection should come off the first socket in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Deadbeet wrote:
    Sy Jor el,

the answer to your question is yes, my eircom modem is connecting to a line that has already been split, if i switch the modem to the main line and run both phones off the split connection I wonder if that would work.???
    Yes, if you take both phones from the one side of the splitter and the modem to the unfiltered side. Most splitters have a label for which side is which. The splitter has one socket that comes straight from the phone line (for the modem) and one through a filter (for phones).
    Your arrangement:
    the main telephone line goes into the phone which then comes out of the phone and goes into a splitter. The splitter then splits into 2. 1 for the bb and 1 for the wireless phone.
    is the problem. You have the modem piggy backed off a phone, you can't do this. As soon as you pick up the phone it'll disconnect the broadband.

If you have your main phone socket, plug the splitter into this, with one side going to a phone and the other direct to the modem. The 2nd phone can then piggy back off the first phone. If the 2nd phone is connected direct to the phone line you must use a filter.

Hope this explains it, it's not the easiest to describe.

Nice 1 Jor el,

Just after trying that today and it worked :D

appreciated

Advertisement