Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Problem? Anyone

Options
  • 11-04-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Been to the Mech twice with this and cant find the problem, so have to bring it back so the head mech can have a look at it... On the front right of the car there is a rattling noise coming from it... It used to be only if i went over a bump now its any movement in the car. The Car is a Bmw 316i... Its a bad enough rattle sound. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

More details than that please..... go out and look at it your self and see if you can pin point the exact location and the exact sypthoms, bad day when a mech cant find it.

Is the brake capilar firmly connected and not loose, you the housing above the brake disc that holds the brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Its seem to be coming from the wheel area, cant pin point the prob... I check the brake capilar etc seems prob,so are the shocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

My car used to make a rattling noise like that.. it turned out to be one of the brakepads slighly loose inside in the caliper. I bent the retainer spring slightly and the problem never came back.

Already checked the brakes fully and there perfect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

my car does that too , must get it checked soon . bushings perhaps? i dunno

• Advertisement

Already been checked. Its wrecking my head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Already been checked. Its wrecking my head...

get a sub&amp ...thats my temporary solution anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Hi,

What year is the 316i, is it an E36?

Is the rattling noise kinda "tinny" like that you would get from the exahust when it is going bad?

My guess is that its one of the protection plates that stops dirt being spashed up onto the inside of the brake disk... They are a stamped piece of metal apox 2-3mm tick that sits inside the brake disk. THey are mounted to the steering knuckle at a few points, but one of them points usually rusts first.

They Cost about 18 Euro each from the dealer, although u do have to take off the brake disk to replace them... I talked to a parts guy in a BMW dealer and he said he can't remember ever selling any.

For a long while i just had mine tied up with a piece of wire, till i got around to fixing the mounting with a piece of metal.

hope this helps....

I said that to him there this morning he said the noise was way to heavy to be that. he checked everything to see was anything loose... The shocks are bad in the car he reckons its that so gotta get them done. Apparently there is a noise coming from the left side aswell

Advertisement