Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car nearly stolen

Options
  • 11-04-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a 92 Astra Hatchback. Last night we heard noise outside (sounded like there was someone on the stiars in the house). I went down and there was nothing. Next, my nextdoor neighbor set off his house alarm, and there was a scramble and 3 fellas drove off in a car (Ardkeen Village area in Waterford).

I went out and the fellas had bent the top of my drivers side door down and the ignition box was open and the key hole thing was sticking out. So i presume the car was seconds away from being started. (Thank god my neighbour is a legend).

Anyway, i had it in he's driveway coz i though he was away, and i had another one of the same car in my Driveway with a dead battery. And they picked the one that was working! They didn't get a chance to get the engine running on it though.

2 points here... 1) anyone from the Ardkeen area make sure your car is locked up and so is your house, as my girldfriend heard them trying the front door. and 2) is there anything that's easy and quick to do that will make the car not work should someone try to start it? I don't want to have to claim off the insurance and the door is damaged.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You could fit a simple battery kill switch underneath the dash that requires a key. It wont stop them, but if you disguise it well enough, it'll wreck their heads for a while. Then again, they can always do a running start with it.

Another alternative is to get a proper immobiliser installed, but that'd probably cost near what the vehicle is worth.

A further option would be to buy a huge steering lock, or possibly get a metal pole installed into your drive. These are both good options as can be used from car to car.

Last but not least, if your gf has a newer car with a decent immobiliser, park it in front of yours with the steering lock on (and the wheels facing into the wall)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Just after buying a place near there, not exactly what I wanted to hear to be honest.. :(

Any ideas why they picked a 92 Astra? Not really worth a whole lot to be honest.. no offence. :confused:

I know of someone who had a similar situation, the sneaked down the stairs and ran outside screaming their head off waving a golf club in the air and then started banging it off the top of an older car they had in the drive way.
    There was only one guy there but apparently he nearly wet himself with the fright. :D

I probably wouldnt advise doing that if there were 3 guys trying to nick your car though.

The circular steering wheel locks are supposed to be the best as there is nothing to grab onto to force them open apparently.

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Frankly I'm amazed they went after a car like yours Bartonprince! Maybe they had some good old fashioned joyriding/burning-out in mind.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Heafty chain and padlock. And I mean HEAFTY.

Put it Around the seat bracket and a couple if times around the wheel. Of course its still possible to steal but it makes it more trouble that it's worth and the little retartds will move on to easier prey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

you could also remove the fuel pump fuse,car will never start without it:D
    thats what i do when i go away;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

you could also remove the fuel pump fuse,car will never start without it

Snap;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote:
    Frankly I'm amazed they went after a car like yours Bartonprince! Maybe they had some good old fashioned joyriding/burning-out in mind.

Mike.

A 1992 car more than likely would not have an immobiliser or deadlocks so these are easy targets for scumbags looking to rob the stereo or go for a joyride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Kerry has been become a huge target for burglaries at the moment.
    OVER 30 plain clothes gardaí swarmed Killarney on Saturday evening as a major operation got underway to nab a gang believed to be involved in a series of break-ins in the town

The special operation, launched as a result of an extensive investigation, ended with a 100mph car chase that continued for up to 30 miles before three suspects were apprehended and bought before the courts.

The high speed chase got underway at around 9pm on Saturday night when gardaí attempted to intercept suspects at the Ballycasheen area after four break-ins were reported in the Woodlawn – Muckross area that evening.

The suspects escaped in a high powered car forcing eight garda cars to give chase through Rathmore and on towards Millstreet. Another attempt was made at Cullen Junction to intercept the fleeing car but the men escaped after ramming two garda cars.

The suspects made their way to Millstreet where they jumped from the car and tried to escape through a housing estate.

However gardaí swarmed the suspects and they were arrested at the scene. A large quantity of cash was found in the suspects’ car.

The three men, all from the Dublin area and aged in their late 30s and early 20s, were detained and questioned in Killarney Garda Station overnight under the Criminal Justice Act 1984 and were bought before two special sittings of Killorglin District Court on Sunday.

The men were charged with committing four counts of burglary on March 25. Evidence of arrest, charge and caution was given by Killarney based detective gardaí John Evans, Batt Lynch and Tom O’Sullivan.

Inspector Barry O’Rourke objected to an application for bail on the grounds that he feared more burglaries would be committed if the men were released on bail. Judge James O’Connor refused bail and the men were remanded to Cork Prison to appear before Tralee District Court this Wednesday.

On Monday a search carried out by gardaí in Dublin as part of the investigation into break-ins in the Killarney area recovered property including jewellery, Waterford Glass and expensive clothes. The property is now in Killarney Garda Station and gardaí believe much of the goods recovered were stolen in the Killarney area in recent months.

Gardaí in Killarney have been involved in a major investigation in recent months into a series of break-ins in which private houses were targeted and burglars got away with large sums of cash and valuable goods.

All members of Killarney Garda Station were involved in the investigation which was led by Supt Michael Maher, Inspector Barry O’Rourke, Det Sgt Paudie Sayers and Sgt Ray Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Be careful if you're buying one of those metal pole dealies. Twice now I have seen people buy these and they did not work; they're a kind of square shape, but are hollow inside. If the scumbags decide to start the car and ram the pole, it just bends over and the card can drive straight over it. It will damage the car, but if they're only nicking it for burning around in, they wont give a damn one way or another.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Archeron wrote:
    Be careful if you're buying one of those metal pole dealies. Twice now I have seen people buy these and they did not work; they're a kind of square shape, but are hollow inside. If the scumbags decide to start the car and ram the pole, it just bends over and the card can drive straight over it. It will damage the car, but if they're only nicking it for burning around in, they wont give a damn one way or another.

Maybe this is some sort of urban legend or something, but I heard a few years back that some guy got 2 of them and put them in his driveway, they were only just available then.

Anyway, his had some top of the range car and wanted to protect it as he didnt have a garage.

One morning he got up and the 2 poles were sitting inside car on the seat and a note saying that if they really wanted to steal his car, these wouldnt stop them..

Apparently happened in Dublin somewhere on the south side.

I'd say he got some fright :D

Yeah I'd have to say that a big thick steel chain with a massive padlock is a the best option, most guys just wouldnt waste their time on a car that has that on it.. :)

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Yeah I'd have to say that a big thick steel chain with a massive padlock is a the best option, most guys just wouldnt waste their time on a car that has that on it..

Yup, for an older car, heafty chain = antipi$$ant device :) Keep the padlock low down in an awkard place so that if they decide to pick it, its going to be more hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Gatster wrote:
    Snap;)

Which one is the fuelpump fuse in an astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

They targeted an oldish car due to the fact it would be relatively easy to steal - no alarm and no imobiliser?

Getting an alarm and immboliliser fitted won't make your car impossible to steal but it will up the workload and amount of time the theif needs to get the car moving. Usually they are after the quick steal.

Also having security lights could help in future. Thiefs do not like the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Which one is the fuelpump fuse in an astra?

it should tell you in the owners manual,or haynes manual if you have one;)
    if it has an electric fuel pump that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/products.html

Nuff said. I have one of these.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well all around Tallaght there are cars going missing and ain't even turning up burnt out or anything!! They will take anything that they can if it ain't alarmed aswell!!
    Best bet is get a good alarm system, The EVO4+ alarm has a pager system on the remote that will alert yout othe alarm going off!! They ain't too bad for the price either!! I know a lad doing offers on the EVO4+ alarms from €389 supply and fitted!! If you want more details just pop a PM off to me!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was gonna say the fuse as well, but not a specific one. Just take one out and see if the car starts, if so just try the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

A heavy duty chain and padlock are ok but if you do decide to go with that then make sure it is slack and not taut. Much much harder to saw through if its slack. Only problem is ive seen a few times where they just saw through the steering wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

you could get a removable stearing wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

A big ass chain is the best anti theft device you will ever get, or a rottweiller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

And a 500w Sensor light focused on the car.
    They walk near it and FLASH, flooded with light.

Advertisement