Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh FAI

• 11-04-2006 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Pat Devlin is to be Steve Stauntons chief scout for the national league.

This can only be bad news, as Mr Devlin cares little for this league and its development, but cares much for his bank balance. Moreover it will just raise the argument again if how can he be a manager, and an agent at the same time, except now he has a 3rd job as well.

If I were a Bray fan i wouldn't be happy.

Could Sam Allardyce (for example) be a scout for Sven? Could Tony Mowbray be a scout for Walter Smith?

Surely a huge conflict of interest will arise from this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Call up for Jason Byrne on the cards?

Wasn't Steve McLaren acting as assistant manager and manager of Middlesboro. Quite a few managers have kept club positions while having international jobs now that I think of it.

Not that I'm saying Devlin being picked is a good thing, because it quite clearly isn't.

The FAI has announced that Pat Devlin
    has joined Stephen Staunton's team as
    the new 'B' international manager and
    eircom League co-ordinator.

Commenting on the appointment, senior
    manager Steve Staunton said that when
    he took the manager's job he recognised
    that the potential in the eircom League
    could be explored and players given
    further opportunity to make it to
    senior international level.

Devlin will monitor players in the
    league and report on potential
    international players.

'Pat will report on talent in the
    eircom League and through the
    reinstatement of the B Internationals,
    provide a development opportunity for
    home-based players,' Staunton said.

'The B Internationals can also provide
    a focal point for players over the age
    of 21 who have yet to graduate to full
    senior level,' he added.

Devlin said he was delighted to be part
    of Staunton's management team.

'The development of home-based players
    is very much part of Stephen's
    long-term plan and I'm looking forward
    to joining the team and contributing to
    that plan,' said Devlin.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p232.htm

Doesn't sound like such a bad idea tbh... but perhaps they picked the wrong man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Has Staunton been to any EL games himself since the new season started?

"Devlin will monitor players in the
    international players."

Surely he has enough time on his hands to go to a few games himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Has Staunton been to any EL games himself since the new season started?

"Devlin will monitor players in the
    international players."

Surely he has enough time on his hands to go to a few games himself.
    He was at Bray vs Pats last week, as was Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good idea, but Devlin is just not the man for the job imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a Bray fan (well a rejuvinated one :D ) I tend to agree that Devlin probably isnt the best man for the job although I must say that bringing back "B" Internationals is a great idea. It will allow some of the EL lads experience internationals and give Stan an idea as to how they will perform at International level.

As a matter of interest who would you lads liked to have been given the job?

Pat Dolan :D

[Waits for Gimmicks response...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

It is going to be very interesting to see how this development affects Bray. Considering that Devlin has been missing from numerous Bray games over the last few years (due to outside interests). It seems a bit mad that the club could be happy if Devo ends up doing his disappearing act again now that this position has cropped up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Devlin hehehe

I would have liked to have seen Osam get the job.

kdjac

A certain someone decided not to travel up to his sides 3-0 defeat to Derry on Friday night...

Seems very much as if he is leaving Bray. Good riddance. And if he's not leaving then I wonder what the hell Bray are playing at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

AS a Bray fan i wasnt impressed with Devlin beng appointed. it will mean he will be spending more and more time away from the club, and tbh, i feel that maybe its time for a new man to be installed. I feel he is going somewhat stale and with all his outside interests, maybe it would be better for him to step down from the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seems he no longer coaching Bray God...i mean Gormley and other guy looking after the team, Devlin and old Ass manager are technical directors.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah Devlin is no longer in charge of the first team which is right imo. Its clear for all to see that Bray are in trouble this season, the team is awful and they need people involved that are fully focused on the job. Its going to be a hard time for Bray over the next year or so as they will more than likely be relegated to the new division one format based on their poor facilities even though they are trying to get the new stand built for next season to give them a better chance of staying up.

It was right for Devlin to step aside, he just wasnt motivated anymore.

Advertisement