Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone Help please?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi guys, im always getting myself into trouble tbh. I'll try to make this short: I bought a WD Raptor 150g HDD and it was skipping in windows, (i was running it on an Abit ax8 k8t890), well i mean the mouse kept freezing etc. So now i bought a new mobo : Asus A8R32 MVP Deluxe. So at first i thought brilliant sorted, it was really flying in windows and installing programs etc. Now when i start up 3d applications it stutters and freezes quite badly. I can get about 5 mins play with CS before it begins to stutter:mad: And when i run ATI graphic demos they seem to rewind a slight bit every 4 seconds or so. CAn anyone help me please. The system has Thermaltake 480w butterfly PSU- ATI x1900xtx- AMD64 3800+, 1gb Mushkin Redline, Asus mobo as above and wd raptor 150g.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sounds like a PSU problem, The X1900XTX uses a lot of power, and Thermaltake PSUs dont have a good reputation.

Buy a good PSU like a Tagan, Seasonic, Enermax........ And it will be fine.

Your original motherbaord was probably ok;)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

i find that hard to believe, its 480w. I know the x1900 and the raptor are power hungry but surely it should handle both since i pretty much dont have anything else in the machine.

I suppose you could be right, but before i go and spend even more dosh, does anyone else have any ideas? It does have the symptoms of power loss, smooth play for about 4 mins then total stuttering and hanging, which seems to stay and not go away until you go back to windows or reboot. The worrying thing though is that it started to hang a few times when i was in the CS menu rather than even running the game????:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Id say update your bios and graphics drivers. If its still doing that it could be the psu, because as conzymaher said TT psus are not the best. It may say 480 watts but this is normally the peak wattage rather then the operating standard. Or add more hardrives etc.. to the 12volt lines.

If you have an old PCI graphics card try that, It will eliminate PSU problems if Windows and games still freeze.

Or get a loan of a Good PSU, in case the GFX card is damaged.

I would recommend getting a new PSU regardless, you have an expensive system, and you should have a decent PSU to power it;)

• Advertisement

Thanks mate, would that Enermax Liberty 500w be worth buying?? They seem to be good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You should buy an OCZ Powerstream SLI 600W. I hear they're great.

Oh, I happen to have an unused one for sale. OMG!11 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

WizZard wrote:
    You should buy an OCZ Powerstream SLI 600W. I hear they're great.

Oh, I happen to have an unused one for sale. OMG!11 :)

great sale skills.

lol, im going to get a loan of an ocz 480w tomorrow to see if that will run it first. How much would the 600w be Wizzard? I dont want to buy a power supply and then find out that it's not the problem, you know what i mean?

Well, Seen as Wizzard is such a great salesman, Im sure that he will loan it to you before you purchase:p

And the Enermax Liberty 500watt is an excellent PSU, lots of people have it, and they have 2 rock stable 22amp 12v rails. 80% effiency, modular cables, silent fan..........

Here some reviews I posted in relation to a "thermaltake PSUs are crap" thread :D

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/303/3

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cases/307/7/

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=301&num=3

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/re...liberty&file=7

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help conzy, i appreciate the feedback:D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

sorry to jump in on this, but if he doesnt take the PSU..how much are willing to part with it for???

Cheers
    dave

Advertisement