Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Investing

Options
  • 11-04-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm interested in online stock investing. Does anyone know anything about the different websites/options out there to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Feoras

I have been sucessfully trading online for a while now. I use a company called trackdata in the US. If you want to be sucessful in the markets I would reccommend you join an investment club. If you need more information on how to find and join an investment club, pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Fexco (the Kerry crowd who were given a licence by FF) are good and have really good rates despite their beginnings.

I wouldn't go near AIB's online share dealing offering nor direct with Davy as they are too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Feoras

I have had so many pms I have decided to post some more information here for you all :)

I am a member of an Investment Club in Dublin. The idea is that we are all out to make money in the stock market and twenty heads are better than one. We have all invested in investment education by doing an investment course. Then we put our training into practice by meeting up each month.

Although each club decides on its own method of operation they are generally the along the same principle.

In my club, each member invests €100 per month into an investment pool. This our own money and we can withdraw it at any time. Together as a club we select a stock and a strategy for the investment each month. Our goal is to make 6% profit on our investment each month. So far we are slighly below this target but not far.

Using the tips, guidance and information from other members of the club, I also invest with my own personal account. I am ahead in my own account

There are about 400 clubs in Ireland and more are being set up each week. The main thing that you must do is get yourself educated in investing. A decent course in trading will cost you about €1000 but from my experience it is worth the money and generally comes with all kinds of backup.

I do not work for any training companies so I am not trying to sell you anything. I am just giving advice as a person who has been trading for a while. But I cant stress how greatly my trading improved with a bit of training.

I can find out if any clubs are being set up in your area if you give me a rough location and I can find out if there are any training courses near you too if you want.

In the meantime, a good book(s) to read is the Rich Dad Poor Dad series.

I will be starting up another investment club in Dublin late next month but I will be insisting on only people with investment education or who are prepared to get it within three months (I don't want to carry anyone!) so PM me if you want any more information and good luck with your trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

good post,

any reccomendations for courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Cantab. wrote:
    Fexco (the Kerry crowd who were given a licence by FF) are good and have really good rates despite their beginnings.

I wouldn't go near AIB's online share dealing offering nor direct with Davy as they are too expensive...

Maybe I'm missing something but why Fexco over Davys? I did a quick Excel spreadsheet (very basic. I'm only learning :-) but Davy's look better

You can edit the figures in red

Edit: Fixed bug in percent calculations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Davy seems quite reasonable.

Also with brokers, you like to think that they are a bit secure.

I would rather have the money in Davy, rather than some 'Kerry Crowd'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Are the online companies all just equities or does anyone cover F&O ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Also meant to ask about commodities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

personally I think that Rabodirect are by far the best option available in Ireland (unless you want to actively manage your portfolio in which case Sharewatch are your boys). The fees are very reasonable and they have a good mix of funds to choose from clearly outlining the risk charecteristics of each making it easy for unexpierienced investors gain access to sound equity investments.

And for stockbroking Sharewatch are by far and away the cheapest in Ireland. And you can use the crest system to ensure complete piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭conor_mc

And for stockbroking Sharewatch are by far and away the cheapest in Ireland. And you can use the crest system to ensure complete piece of mind.

Isn't NIB's new online offering better than ShareWatch for trades up to 4-5k? Think their minimum charge is €20 as opposed to SW's €30. Once over that, SW's rate is better, can't remember what it is though.

conor_mc wrote:
    Isn't NIB's new online offering better than ShareWatch for trades up to 4-5k? Think their minimum charge is €20 as opposed to SW's €30. Once over that, SW's rate is better, can't remember what it is though.

Didn't know that must have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VF10

is it possible to transfer from AIB online (i.e. crest registered) to other traders, without having to exit the stock?

Advertisement