Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a case of weak Welfare Officer......Weak President

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Well the information wasn't in it then, so it wouldn't have been an issue. We could easily make it so that once the information was in it, Freshers' Guides were taken by people from desks.

Whether or not there's case law on it doesn't matter. The fact remains that it is undefined and not illegal. The only way to find out would be if the State prosecuted us, and there is almost no chance of that happening. Coming up to a General Election? Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Vainglory wrote:
    Well the information wasn't in it then, so it wouldn't have been an issue. We could easily make it so that once the information was in it, Freshers' Guides were taken by people from desks.

Even having like that leaves a grey area - do people know that the information is inside?

Vainglory wrote:
    Whether or not there's case law on it doesn't matter. The fact remains that it is undefined and not illegal. The only way to find out would be if the State prosecuted us, and there is almost no chance of that happening. Coming up to a General Election? Are you mad?

You obviously have no idea what you are doing. I cannot believe that someone who is so high up in the union has so little clue. The TDs can take a flying **** as far as the DPP is concerned. He can tell the entire Dail to suck it with no repercussions. It is forbidden (as in illegal) for TD's to interfere with him. An upcoming election is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I cannot believe that someone who is so high up in the union has so little clue.
    I would credit someone with a clue purely because they're high up in the union, almost the opposite tbh.

You obviously have no idea what you are doing. I cannot believe that someone who is so high up in the union has so little clue. The TDs can take a flying **** as far as the DPP is concerned. He can tell the entire Dail to suck it with no repercussions. It is forbidden (as in illegal) for TD's to interfere with him. An upcoming election is irrelevant.

There is statistically more chance of the Union being taken to court for file sharing on Union computers than there is for providing abortion information. Nobody has ever, ever, ever been prosecuted under the 1995 Abortion Information Act (unlike legislation regarding music sharing).This is desipte COUNTLESS, BLATANT floutations of this law by pro-choice activists.

Doesn't this tell you something? The DPP wouldn't prosecute if you begged them. They wouldn't go NEAR it.

He's not the coward that you think he is...He has prosecuted unpopular cases before

• Advertisement

Then why hasn't he prosecuted the numerous people who breach this law, in front of the Dáil and the Department of Justice, nearly every weekend?

They make it very obvious, ie passing the information to Gardaí.

I'm not saying he's a coward. He just probably recognises, like us, that the law is ridiculous, outdated, and Big Brother esque, and to prosecute someone for it would be ridiculous and met with public outrage.

There is a difference between some randomers handing out info every now and then, and a large organisation declaring that it intends to flout the laws of this state. The first can be ignored, the second cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I'd wager that the people handing out leaflets aren't being prosecuted because if people are TAKING the leaflets, that makes it solicited. I'd be wary of having the guide in a bag when people don't know they're getting it, that's unsolicited. Putting it on a table is solicited because it's taken if desired.

I'd wager that the people handing out leaflets aren't being prosecuted because if people are TAKING the leaflets, that makes it solicited. I'd be wary of having the guide in a bag when people don't know they're getting it, that's unsolicited. Putting it on a table is solicited because it's taken if desired.
    I think for it to be solicited, they have to seek it out, want the information and find it, not just pick it up, ie. it would have to say in BIG letters on the cover - "contains names and addresses of abortion clinics".

EDIT: I got the 100th post! Oh yea. Oh yea. Can't touch this.

Handing out leaflets is definitely unsolicited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

EDIT: I got the 100th post! Oh yea. Oh yea. Can't touch this.
    You got the 100th reply, dude. :p 100th posts are for winners.

Advertisement