Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mark4 golf burning oil?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

i bought an 03 golf mark4 2months ago, 30k miles, all seemed fine, oil was topped up nicely. checked the oil 2 weeks ago and it was well below the minimum mark, this was about 3k miles later. brought it to the garage the mechanic spun me a line that golfs can go thru 1 litre of oil every 1k miles. Sound like bull? this was a main dealer too, not some cowboy (i hope!) would appreciate some help with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

tintin wrote:
    i bought an 03 golf mark4 2months ago, 30k miles, all seemed fine, oil was topped up nicely. checked the oil 2 weeks ago and it was well below the minimum mark, this was about 3k miles later. brought it to the garage the mechanic spun me a line that golfs can go thru 1 litre of oil every 1k miles. Sound like bull? this was a main dealer too, not some cowboy (i hope!) would appreciate some help with this

hes right, have a look on uk-mkivs.net
    i have heard the one liter per 1k miles on there also. diesels can fly thru the oil and petrols can also, depends what the engine was run in like, if the piston rings fight nicely to the combustion chamber. u can use a thicker oil (non synthetic) also. what engine have u got and whats its capacity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

tintin wrote:

no thats correct they USE alot of oil not burn it, especially the 1.4's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

its a 1.4 petrol. every one iv talked to to about it looks at me funny when I tell them how much its used as if to say iv bought a dud. just didnt tink id be filling her up so often, its down to the half way mark again since its last top up (1,000 miles ago). had an 00 almera before it, the thing just kept on going, think i put oil in it twice in about 15,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

$Leon$ wrote:
    no thats correct they USE alot of oil not burn it, especially the 1.4's

If the oil is disappearing and it's not leaking out onto the ground (or into the coolant...), then it's being burnt. A litre per 1,000 miles sounds like an awful lot to me - whether or not it's normal, it can't say much for the tolerances of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

no, theres definately no leaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sounds like bull to me....dunno how many times I've heard of people told this by dealers trying to fob them off.

get onto a VW forum and ask around and see if its true. I find its always best to post on a forum specific to your car, no disrespect to this one, as every poster on them is driving your car and know the ins & outs of them.

This ones supposed to be very good
    http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It's well known in the motor trade that Golfs burn oil, VW's ain't what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I have a 1.4 2003 i only run it on fully synthetic oil, and it was un in easy, it needs 2 topups from dipstick full low to dipstick full between services.
    if urs eats oil, i suggest putting castrol longlife 2 sx fully synthetic into it and see what happens. buy it from a vw dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most of the VW & Audi range are well known for burning oil during the first 15,000 to 20,000kms. Its absolutely nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on the level and top up as necessary. Be sure to use the CORRECT oil as your Golf has LongLife service intervals. If you use to oil of a lower grade you should get your car serived every 15,000kms.

VW will not consider oil consumption a problem until the consumption exceeds 1 litre per 1,000 kms.

Advertisement