Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good drink driving advert.

Options
  • 11-04-2006 10:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=475

I hope it is actually an advert, looks very real. Educational all the same.

If anybody has any other "hard hitting" ones, post em up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not seen that one before. Usually see a few during Tarrant on TV. I find the Australian ones particularly good ("If you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot"). One I remember (can't find video) goes as follows:
    A drink-driving ad set at a Christmas time focusing on a family

Shows a series of scenes of the days leading up to Christmas involving a husband, pregnant wife and two young children

Shows husband drinking at office Christmas party, hurrying on a busy road, and crashing into a pole

The wife is shown arriving at hospital being told that her husband has severe head injuries. A series of scenes of the following days are shown, including the wife and parents at home and at the hospital learning that the life support machine should now be turned off.

A series of scenes shown across a sequence of ads following a family’s experience. The husband is shown decorating a Christmas tree with the children, then at the office party and crashing the car. The wife is called into the hospital and explained the injuries. Later she is at home talking with the parents and her son answers a call for his father. They are then shown at the hospital being told that he is only being supported by machine, and again as it is turned off.

Follow up ads show scenes of the wife and her mother arguing before going to the funeral. The young daughter asks if Daddy will be there. Then the children are shown waking Mum up early on Christmas morning and asking if Santa will find Daddy
    1.3MB pdf with more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Heard a radio ad on Today FM this morning where a young girl talks about her cousin June who was killed in an accident on Irish roads. She describes how a van driver was speeding and fell asleep and crossed the line, hitting her cousin head on. She also describes some of the reaction from the deceased girls father. Very disturbing to hear first hand accounts like this, and I think its a very powerful ad. Very sad, and very tragic, but very powerful.

I really think that too many people see the tragedy on our roads as numbers, not as people. Perhaps if we put a more human face to the disasters, it will sink in with people that it could quite easily be them or their loved ones in that situation, and hopefully make them think twice before doing something stupid on the road. For example, the young woman and her son that died in Blessington the other day (RIP). This will just be a statistic to many, but when I thought of the idea of two innocent young people dying senselessly like this, it broke my heart. I can easily imagine that being people who mean the world to me, and that makes it truly frightening.

Archeron wrote:
    Heard a radio ad on Today FM

Yeah I heard that one its horrific. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

There's another one as well in the same style, a young man talking about burying his brother who died in an accident. They are done by the Ray Darcy Show. He's also responsible for the late night one "Don't be a ****ing eejit, don't drink and drive", based on the Aussie one.

Advertisement