Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling BT Broadband

• 11-04-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for opinions here. I intended to move my BT line and Broadband to my new home this week, and to make sure it happened on time I sent in the relocation forms in march. I need the broadband for work so it was pretty important that it switched over today.. hence the application in plenty of time.

I rang them today and some lad told me that "ah it'll be emm.. at least a week". I told him that NTL were sending me flyers every ten minutes saying they can supply me with broadband as soon as I need it. His reply : "Give it a week and then sure.. do whatever".

I hung up and rang NTL who agreed to set up the broadband on thursday.. and immediately gave BT a call to cancel EVERYTHING.

The girl I spoke to said that my Broadband should already be cancelled at my old address (Im moving on thursday.. so as you can see its working just fine in my old house!). She wouldnt cancel the line and the new relocation order until I fill out a cancellation request form.

They're unhelpful and useless to the last. I'll email them now and confirm that Im done with everything I have with them, I just hope the message gets through!

Has anyone else ever figured out how to cancel their BT Everything and avoid them sending unwanted bills for the next decade?

Also.. what happens to the ZyXel router that Ive got?

Thanks for reading my rant! Now I feel better :)

All advice gladly accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume you're outside the term of your contract now so there'll be no penalty for cancelling. Have you an eircom line in the new house and have you given your eircom account number to BT? If you haven't then the new order won't go through.

Contact your bank anyway, in writing, and cancel your direct debit with BT. That should protect you from them taking your money, but it may not stop them from billing you.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Trotter wrote:
    Also.. what happens to the ZyXel router that Ive got?

You send it back, there's a freepost address for it. If you don't, you get billed for it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jor el wrote:
    I presume you're outside the term of your contract now so there'll be no penalty for cancelling. Have you an eircom line in the new house and have you given your eircom account number to BT? If you haven't then the new order won't go through.

Contact your bank anyway, in writing, and cancel your direct debit with BT. That should protect you from them taking your money, but it may not stop them from billing you.

There was a ceased line in the new house, and I've given BT the address and signed the relocation form. Then again, I signed that I wanted it sorted on the 11th April so theres that "contract" void anyway.

My service contract with BT is up next week so I wont have the penalties.

I'll ring them again tomorrow and sort out where to send the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You may not have to return the router. I signed up to Broadband Plus last year, in May, and part of the contract was that after 12 months the router is mine. If you were on the cheaper option then you must return the router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1. Do it it writing, send it by registered post.
    2. Do it it writing, send it by registered post.
    3. Do it it writing, send it by registered post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement