Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Define Skanger Fashion...

• 11-04-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I'll kick this off...since I started the thread lol...

1) Sovereign rings
    2) Basketball Hoop size ear rings
    3) Burberry
    4) Bicycle Chain size necklaces
    5) Chanel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Sizzler wrote:
    5) Chanel
    what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Skangers wearing Chanel :eek: i don't think so,i wouldn't even call it fashion either,any tramp can wear Umbro tracksuits,Nike Air Max and fake Burberry caps :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think tracksuits are very knackerish. I don't think they should be worn as casual clothes. Tracksuits are for sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

white tracksuits with a pink scarf and a big streak of blonde down the middle of the hair like a skunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The white tracksuit seems to be the uniform of late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks

wearing pyjamas out on the street

Nightwish wrote:
    wearing pyjamas out on the street

...while going to McDonald's to get your breakfast McMuffin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Nightwish wrote:
    tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks

Seriously, what's the deal with this?? And wearing baseball caps so far up off their heads I dunno how they never fall off??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Chanel??
    Unwashed appearance, dirty hair...spots. Creole earings...velour tracksuits....uggs.....bitten nails.....yellowed teeth....fat bellys in short tops and jeans....Von Dutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Last summer the big thing was the "metro" look, almost every skanger had it. They'd gotten their hair dresser sisters to sort out a Fran Cosgrave-esque hair cut for them, then went around in Old Glory/Ralph Lauren knock-offs and sweatpants tucked into white socks and most likely Lacoste runners. A lot also tried to pull off the diamond earring thing also.
    The females seemed to want a "hairdressers haircut", the ones with the highlights, fringes etc.
    Who knows what this summer will bring.

You've also got your more plain skanger who just wears their matching tracksuits, hooped earrings , horrible necklaces, soverign rings and some form of runner. The Nike "shox" (I think, they're the ones with what seem to be springs on the back) seem to be quite popular among them.

When going out, skangers guys seem to like to dress in check shirts(Ben Sherman is a huge brand for them), more plain jeans and black/white shoes generally with a metal buckle on them. Though this does not apply to the skangers who are going for the "metro" knock off look.

Also, they're the only people keeping argos "Elizabeth Duke" in business.

Best thing about a skanger is they're easily recognisable and hence avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Scraggs wrote:
    what??

CHANEL...the amount of skanger birds with chanel handbags and awful tacky tops is ridiculous....chanel...the new burberry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Larianne wrote:
    Seriously, what's the deal with this?? And wearing baseball caps so far up off their heads I dunno how they never fall off??!!
    It's so we can all bow in awe to their "expensive" designer label Schmadidas socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Eh noo it's not I love Channel perfume.

A shaved head [They look Bald]
    Celtic Jersey
    Gold earrings
    White runners
    White tracksuits
    Caps turned
    Always have their phones out
    Well it was those furry tracksuits 2 for a fiver
    Hoopy earrings

Larianne wrote:
    Their heads are designed slightly differently, the caps sit there naturally to them. Also, it allows them to headbutt someone without even having to take either hat off. They're smart one's ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Heehee, I like it,rb_ie.

Skanger girls, at the moment, have adopted the orange look from the Southside princesses. This look is teamed with a plain coloured poloneck, very large PVC red belt worn high on waist, braces (no joke) 3/4 dark denim parallel-leg jeans and flat pointy plastic red pumps. They also always have blisters and cuts on their feet from the delightfully cheap footwear. Hair is dark, with a fringe and very short layers, often with bad extensions, and a blonde streak in the underlayers of the fringe. Blusher is worn in bright pink stripes and jewellery is plastic and angry-coloured. Coats are those duffel-style things in tweed, and have not been washed since purchased in October.

Skanger guys seem to be wearing Timbaland boots, the type with the turn-down tongue, baggy jeans, and an imitation Hilfiger or Polo sweater the same colour as the boots. Hair is as extravagant as the girls'. Highlighted, spiked, mulletish, you name it. Jewellery is extra diamondy, from Argos, and CK boxers are always worn- imitation of course, with the hem of the jumper tucked into them over one hip, jeans low slung.

GORGEOUS. :eek:

SexyD4Lady wrote:
    Heehee, I like it,rb_ie.

Skanger girls, at the moment, have adopted the orange look from the Southside princesses. This look is teamed with a plain coloured poloneck, very large PVC red belt worn high on waist, braces (no joke) 3/4 dark denim parallel-leg jeans and flat pointy plastic red pumps. They also always have blisters and cuts on their feet from the delightfully cheap footwear. Hair is dark, with a fringe and very short layers, often with bad extensions, and a blonde streak in the underlayers of the fringe. Blusher is worn in bright pink stripes and jewellery is plastic and angry-coloured. Coats are those duffel-style things in tweed, and have not been washed since purchased in October.

Skanger guys seem to be wearing Timbaland boots, the type with the turn-down tongue, baggy jeans, and an imitation Hilfiger or Polo sweater the same colour as the boots. Hair is as extravagant as the girls'. Highlighted, spiked, mulletish, you name it. Jewellery is extra diamondy, from Argos, and CK boxers are always worn- imitation of course, with the hem of the jumper tucked into them over one hip, jeans low slung.

GORGEOUS. :eek:

Classy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

one word...pumps...all the skanger girls are big fans of these 12 pairs-for-a-euro "shoes" that only seem to come in dodgy gold or silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Whilst I was away on holidays with my friends we saw many a skanger and dubbed them leisurists as all their clothers revolve around lesiure wear, (tracksuits, air max, celtic jersey etc.)

There is essentially two fashion types of male skanger, (A) The true hard man who'll alwyas have a reebok polo shirt under his liverpool tracksuit and a new pair of air max. this is the old school skanger. (B) Is the skanger you'll see frequenting barcode in their pink t-shirt , dimante earings, gareth gates haircut styled by his sister and some gawdy pair of shoes. If your dad was to look at him he would assume he is gay. This is the new age metro-skanger. This type of skanger will dye his hair platnium blond if he has red hair even though he is covered in gingery freckles and looks even more ridiculous.

Both (A) and (B) type skanger also have a fondness for stripe/pringle esqe jumpers.

Dont forget that quintessential piece of male skanger fashion....the slip on shoe with the tack silver buckle across the front....NICE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

My brother's wordrobe, it's scary that there is not a pair of jeans in sight, just tracksuit bottoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bling bling

biko wrote:
    Bling bling

Is that a man or a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's a chav though, skangers are much worse. although i'm aware they are just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

[FONT=&quot]Define a skanger?

I've lived in Dublin for 27 years and I'm still confused.

From reading this thread it seems much of Ireland is too.

Anyone wearing a tracksuit? Huh?

Anyone wearing Nike's?

If someone from Finglas/Tallaght/Ballymun/ is wearing a Tommy Shirt it's automatically a knock off? Lets face it they're not that expensive.

Are skangers restricted to 'working class' areas or is there D4 skangers?

Why do people feel the need to mock these people regardless of what clothes they wear? Is it their actions? Their accent? Is it because you're intimidated by them that you somehow feel the need to put them down?

What makes 'non skangers' some authority on fashion and what should/shouldn't be worn together?

When did people in this country become so judgmental?

Why are people 'obsessed' with 'skangers' why are there new thread’s every other day on ‘skangers’?

Please someone explain this.

[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sizzler wrote:
    I'll kick this off...since I started the thread lol...

1) Sovereign rings
    2) Basketball Hoop size ear rings
    3) Burberry
    4) Bicycle Chain size necklaces
    5) Chanel

Skanger don't wear Burberry Caps, I don't think they where ever even sold here. Thats An english thing. Skangers wear Nike and the like caps. Hoop Ear rings are also an english thing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Larianne wrote:

Ok if they are VON DUTCH baseball caps :P

LiouVille wrote:
    Skanger don't wear Burberry Caps, I don't think they where ever even sold here. Thats An english thing. Skangers wear Nike and the like caps. Hoop Ear rings are also an english thing,

Its an english thing...but there are plenty of gimps wearing them here...just cos you aint seen 'em doesnt mean they aint out there ;)

As for the hoopy ear rings.....jesus OPEN your eyes....EVERYWHERE within the knack fraternity!

ntlbell wrote:
    [FONT=&quot]Define a skanger?

I've lived in Dublin for 27 years and I'm still confused.

From reading this thread it seems much of Ireland is too.

Anyone wearing a tracksuit? Huh?

Anyone wearing Nike's?

If someone from Finglas/Tallaght/Ballymun/ is wearing a Tommy Shirt it's automatically a knock off? Lets face it they're not that expensive.

Are skangers restricted to 'working class' areas or is there D4 skangers?

Why do people feel the need to mock these people regardless of what clothes they wear? Is it their actions? Their accent? Is it because you're intimidated by them that you somehow feel the need to put them down?

What makes 'non skangers' some authority on fashion and what should/shouldn't be worn together?

When did people in this country become so judgmental?

Why are people 'obsessed' with 'skangers' why are there new thread’s every other day on ‘skangers’?

Please someone explain this.

[/FONT]

You have lived in Dublin for 27 years and cant tell the difference between someone half decent wearing a Tommy jumper versus a total skanger wearing one?? You must be confused ! Its not difficult ! Its not about d4 or accent...once a skanger...always a skanger! You can get junior skangers in Malahide...we're talking about their attire here...nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sizzler wrote:
    Its an english thing...but there are plenty of gimps wearing them here...just cos you aint seen 'em doesnt mean they aint out there ;)

They don't even sell those caps in england anymore, I doubt skangers import.
    Sizzler wrote:
    As for the hoopy ear rings.....jesus OPEN your eyes....EVERYWHERE within the knack fraternity!

So we're talkign about knackers now?

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    You have lived in Dublin for 27 years and cant tell the difference between someone half decent wearing a Tommy jumper versus a total skanger wearing one?? You must be confused ! Its not difficult ! Its not about d4 or accent...once a skanger...always a skanger! You can get junior skangers in Malahide...we're talking about their attire here...nothing else.

Well I don't know what someone "half decent" looks like.

I mean I parked my car outside a house in very well to do part of the south side I got talking, there's a knock at the door standing before me is a man in a suit explaining that i'm blocking his car, I look, nice lexus, guy in a suit...I suppose he was half decent? wrong it was one of the biggest crime bosses in Ireland, my bad.

things are not always as they seem.

once a skanger always a skanger? what does this even mean?

Are you very young?

Did someone in a Nike tracksuit steal your lunch money on the number 10 bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

ntlbell, seems like you're in denial or something. If someone tried to explain something don't jump on them.

Skangers are the ones who;
    are trying to rob you,
    are trying to key your car,
    are throwing rocks at buses,
    are shouting "wha da fukk arrr u bleedin' lookin' at",
    hang around shops,
    who start fights,
    who cause hassle,
    who are just plain scum

Caps at 90 degrees, striped tops, tracksuit bottoms.. tucking into their socks, runners are the main give aways.

X-SL wrote:
    ntlbell, seems like you're in denial or something. If someone tried to explain something don't jump on them.

Skangers are the ones who;
    are trying to rob you,
    are trying to key your car,
    are throwing rocks at buses,
    are shouting "wha da fukk arrr u bleedin' lookin' at",
    hang around shops,
    who start fights,
    who cause hassle,
    who are just plain scum

Caps at 90 degrees, striped tops, tracksuit bottoms.. tucking into their socks, runners are the main give aways.

So if you just wear a cap, striped tops? (my grandad wears these...slightly worrying)

tracksuit bottoms, which I often do (because they're comfortable)

tucking sockings in? have to say i haven't seen that since about 1987 and wear runners but don't do anything else e.g. rob/start fights etc is one still a skanger?

if not then are people who just wear these clothes been classed as skangers? can you only call them a skanger if you know they've broke the law or are involved in anti-social behaviour?

not jumping on anyone i don't see any explaination i see people pegion holing others because of certain types of clothes they were.

now you've came along and described the actions of a 'skanger'...see we made progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

ntlbell wrote:
    So if you just wear a cap, striped tops? (my grandad wears these...slightly worrying)

tracksuit bottoms, which I often do (because they're comfortable)

tucking sockings in? have to say i haven't seen that since about 1987 and wear runners but don't do anything else e.g. rob/start fights etc is one still a skanger?

if not then are people who just wear these clothes been classed as skangers? can you only call them a skanger if you know they've broke the law or are involved in anti-social behaviour?

This is idiotic.

The thread is on the general appearance of 'skangers', right? It is NOT 'The Why Of Skangerre'

Obviously generalisations and the accompanying inaccuracy will enter the thread, had we all perfect knowledge, I'd stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

oh, and for the record:

That really expensive sportswear that always manages o look tacky

ntlbell, read this.

• Advertisement

Tchocky wrote:
    This is idiotic.

The thread is on the general appearance of 'skangers', right? It is NOT 'The Why Of Skangerre'

Obviously generalisations and the accompanying inaccuracy will enter the thread, had we all perfect knowledge, I'd stfu.

ok so the thread is inaccurate and full of generalisations....I see, yep, very idiotic.

I'll feel alot more comfortable going for a chino reading the sbp in my trackies tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Defined with pictures:
    Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

She supports Newcastle.

Your're correct.

Pure scum.

Ntlbell.....trying top kick off a debate on a totally diff subject. We're talking about fashion....or lack off !

Crime bosses in suits, no surprises there in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Toolach

Tchocky wrote:
    oh, and for the record:

That really expensive sportswear that always manages o look tacky

This is true - they could be wearing the best of sportswear and still look tacky.

Fellas jogs pants leg length coming in one size - this can lead to tackyness.
    The Oxford dictionary defines a chav as “a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion…Chavs usually wear designer labels, and if they’re girls, very short skirts and stilettos. Chavs still see branded baseball caps as a status symbol and wear them at every opportunity.”

Is there a difference betwwn a Chav and a skanger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

kc66 wrote:
    Defined with pictures:
    Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

I tink dee look gawjess in anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orlib

I can't believe no1s mentioned the Dutch Gold/Royal Dutch cans which they HAVE to carry after 6!

LOL

Quintessential choice of lager for the skanger about town ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

rb_ie wrote:
    ntlbell, read this.

Yea that wikipedia article is great.

"Scangers instead, prefer to drink on public buses, beaches, fields and parks and under railway bridges. This behaviour is commonly referred to as "Knacker Drinking" (pronounced "nakoh dreenkin"), or "goin' on the knack". Male scangers tend to drink either Dutch Gold (or simply "Dutch"), Bavaria or Tuborg lager"

"They obtain alcohol by waiting outside licensed premises and asking random passers-by, "Wudja go in de offo for us man?"

But I think the following picture sums up a scanger's appearance:
    800px-Henry_Street_Scanger_Central.jpg

And why do they do this stupid chav hand signal!!!?!?!??
    chav-30188.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Try www.chavscum.co.uk the pictures tell it all, and the text gives a good laugh.

After that for a real laugh (admittedly at other peoples expense) try www.mingers.com

I always thought skanger was more a mentality / state of mind, not jsut how someone dresses, afterall look at Jimmy Saville, beat that for chavtastic style, he even has the big cigar and you couldn't get a nicer man. It's a pitty the medalions he gave out didn't come on a fake gold chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

the worst is the velour/velvety tracksuits matching top and bottom worn with a white top underneath and a pair of ultra white runners (ive always wondered how the skangers/talafornians keep their runners sooo white? Are they goign through bottle of scruff coat??). also these velvet tracksuits (the wannabe colleen mcloughlin look) must alwasy be worn at least 1 size too small.
    The muffin top phenomenon amount skanger females is quite alarming. girls in clothes sized 2 sizes 2 small with spillage over the waistband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

gillo wrote:
    afterall look at Jimmy Saville, beat that for chavtastic style, he even has the big cigar and you couldn't get a nicer man

:confused: The new Gary Glitter you mean. What a nasty man.

K-Swiss rapidly entering Skanger hall of fame btw. There'll be nothing left soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

chavs.jpg

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

i wont hear anyone slag Saville - he's alrigh' by me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

ntlbell is just trying to be awkward. you're coming off looking foolish imo.

chavscum is a brillaint website :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement