Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory question

Options
  • 12-04-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

a noob question?
    was woundering can you match faster memory with a athlon 64 than ddr pc3200
    if you intend overclocking a bit?
    eg pc 4000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Yeah you can add faster DDR, but it will be running slower than rated unless you overclock your CPU. i.e if you have DDR600 and your HTT is at stock 200 then the memory at 1:1 will be running as DDR400. Its better to get higher rated memory when overclocking as it eliminates it from limiting your overclock. You would have to be at a HTT of 300+ before you started getting problems with DDR600.
    PC4000 which is DDR500 is good up until HTT of 250, then you will need to up your voltage and loosen your timings to get it higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Optikus wrote:
    Yeah you can add faster DDR, but it will be running slower than rated unless you overclock your CPU. i.e if you have DDR600 and your HTT is at stock 200 then the memory at 1:1 will be running as DDR400. Its better to get higher rated memory when overclocking as it eliminates it from limiting your overclock. You would have to be at a HTT of 300+ before you started getting problems with DDR600.
    PC4000 which is DDR500 is good up until HTT of 250, then you will need to up your voltage and loosen your timings to get it higher.

thanks just wounderin that for a while.
    thinking for gettin an opteron 165 and overclocking it.
    have an msi K8N SLI-F, any good of an overclocker ?

poggy wrote:
    thanks just wounderin that for a while.
    thinking for gettin an opteron 165 and overclocking it.
    have an msi K8N SLI-F, any good of an overclocker ?

The 165 is great, have one myself at 2700mhz x 2. Just the memory i have to put on a divider, so im going to get some new RAM soon, that i can have 1:1 or a lower divider. Not sure about your motherboard though, for overclocking Opteron 165's you will need to have a high HTT (im at 300) and a board to let you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Optikus wrote:
    The 165 is great, have one myself at 2700mhz x 2. Just the memory i have to put on a divider, so im going to get some new RAM soon, that i can have 1:1 or a lower divider. Not sure about your motherboard though, for overclocking Opteron 165's you will need to have a high HTT (im at 300) and a board to let you do this.

ya thought that about the mobo what are u running?
    not going to be doing this till summer, what mobo would u suggest?

Im running a DFI UT lanparty NF4 Sli, but there are better DFI boards out at the moment. The Expert version of mine is pretty good. But if your into overclocking then i would recommend any DFI board.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Some of the newer Bioses allow you to run Ram faster than the HTT;)

So you can keep your CPU at stock and still use PC4000 ram at DDR250

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah my BIOS has that facility, to overclock the RAM and not the CPU, by putting it on a divider... I couldn't actually figure out what use i'd have for it at first, as I assumed my RAM would always be on either the same or lower frequency than the CPU.

So what you are saying is that even though my MoBo says "Supported RAM Speed PC2100, PC2700, PC3200"... it can actually support PC3700, PC4000 and PC4400? Is this true? I wish i'd known this when i was building my system, i wouldn't of gone near PC3200.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its so that non overclockers can use faster ram, They probably did to to try and keep up with DDR2.

Its pointless if you are an overclocker because, you usually drop the multiplier and raise the HTT to get higher memory clocks

Advertisement