Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Speed Scameras (again)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

netwhizkid wrote:
    add to that a manual gearbox culture (Automatics being safer) and is it any wonder that hundreds are getting killed.
    ??????? How do you work that one out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Gearing up and down to accelerate and decelerate, thinking about gear changes and making them. All of these things are taking away concentration from the driver who should be watching the road. Manuals are for total herb drivers too, Automatics are much more stylish, the only people who drive manuals are those who have been forced to by their parents, I myself was and crashed the car into the pillar of the front gate as a result of stupid gears. Manual Transmissions are a complete waste of time all I ever see here is Nissan Micras taking about an hour to get away from Traffic lights , heck floor it grandma.

OT, Private speed cameras are nothing short of treachery. I shall be getting my Con-Saw and trusty sledge to any I see around my neck of the woods. Oh and should I ever get points, I would go to jail rather than pay a fine to private speed camera operators. The PDs are behind it without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Boggle wrote:
    In short no one has a problem obeying laws that are well applied but poor application leads to apathy.

I beg to differ. It would seem that plenty of people have a problem with obeying well applied laws. Example? Red lights. Hard to argue with the application of them. You light is red while someone elses is green. People still break the law and go through them.
    Gatster wrote:
    Road deaths have risen, even with the existence of penalty points, that is a fact. At their launch penalty points were vaunted as the saviour of road safety.

Agreed. But, there was a significant drop in road deaths at the time of the launch. This is considered to be due to peoples belief that they would be caught. Once it became apparent that the boys and girls in blue did not give a fcuk / didn't have the right equipment / were too scarce / had too many donuts to eat / were all off on stress leave to actually catch people the numbers started to creep up again.

Getting caught is one thing. getting caught and fined is another. getting caught, fined and given points which can cost you your license is a whole different ball game. Irish drivers seem to need a really really big stick. People who continually break the rules of the road need to be taken off it. Penalty points is a good way, IMO, of doing it.
    Gatster wrote:
    As you stress, enforcement (of road safety) is the key, but not handing out penalty points.

Why not? For most people the level of driving lawlessness they display will be indirectly proportionate to the number of points they have. As people start to accumulate points they will start to police themselves. Obviously there are those that will not care. They will be banned and eventually jailed. Big deal.
    Gatster wrote:
    There's a thread elsewhere here regarding someone being pulled for the white line offence (which is laughable in this case) as if the OP's description of the situation is correct, he was done by an over zealous copper probably meeting quotas (which no doubt exist somewhere for the new offences), which brings me nicely to the point of attitude. The attitude of the both Garda and road users need to change, as you say eek.gif

Actually, you are right. Fcuk it. One guy form boards has had a bad experience. Lets bin penalty points they are obviously fatally flawed. :rolleyes:

Of course there will be bad calls made. There would be bad calls whether there were penalty points or not.

Getting back to the original point, private speed cameras. If they are implemented the way they are supposed to be they will NOT be simple revenue generators. Do a search on this board and you will find a few threads where the way they are supposed to be operated has been explained. If, and I admit it is a pretty big if, they are setup the way the Gardai & NSC have said they will there simply should nit be guys sitting on the M50 clocking up fines.

I can't be arsed typing the whole thing out again or even looking for it. KerranJast's post give a brief outline of how they are supposed to wrok ut if you do a search you will find fuller descriptions.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

netwhizkid wrote:
    Gearing up and down to accelerate and decelerate, thinking about gear changes and making them. All of these things are taking away concentration from the driver who should be watching the road. Manuals are for total herb drivers too, Automatics are much more stylish, the only people who drive manuals are those who have been forced to by their parents, I myself was and crashed the car into the pillar of the front gate as a result of stupid gears. Manual Transmissions are a complete waste of time all I ever see here is Nissan Micras taking about an hour to get away from Traffic lights , heck floor it grandma.
    Let me guess ... you're American?

netwhizkid wrote:

Actually, I don't even know where to begin here, so I won't.

netwhizkid wrote:
    OT, Private speed cameras are nothing short of treachery. I shall be getting my Con-Saw and trusty sledge to any I see around my neck of the woods. Oh and should I ever get points, I would go to jail rather than pay a fine to private speed camera operators. The PDs are behind it without a doubt.

I wonder what the guy operating the camera will say when you try to cut it down? Why is it treachery?
    netwhizkid wrote:
    I think myself penalty points are a waste of time, I blame the fact that our roads are amongst the worst in the road.

Why are they a waste of time? please elaborate. I would agree that road are a factor but I strongly feel that the fact that Irish drivers are really bad is a bigger factor. For example, I recently heard about an irish driver who drove into a pillar because he was confused about the gears in his car!!! I mean come on.

MrP

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    Let me guess ... you're American?

No I'm Irish but have visited there and really opened my eyes to the crap reality we are living in, our cars suck so much! If I ever was in politics I'd ban VRT make all cars €50 to tax whether it is 1 litre or 11Litre. Make Petrol cheap and give the people back their motoring freedom. I'd also nationalise all private motor insurance and have a fair balanced system.

I am 19 yrs and the thought of driving a small manual "super-mini" really goes through me like a laxative. We really need decent cars.

Automatics FTW! Woot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dear netwhizkid,

You are completely bat-sh1t f**king insane.

Best regards,

Your friend,

Stephen.

MrPudding wrote:
    Actually, I don't even know where to begin here, so I won't.

I wonder what the guy operating the camera will say when you try to cut it down? Why is it treachery?

Why are they a waste of time? please elaborate. I would agree that road are a factor but I strongly feel that the fact that Irish drivers are really bad is a bigger factor. For example, I recently heard about an Irish driver who drove into a pillar because he was confused about the gears in his car!!! I mean come on.

MrP

Penalty points are a waste of time as there is no initiative to create a better driving environment. All we hear is slow down. Like all penalty points have done is hit people in the pocket with another stealth tax. Our Population is burgeoning it is acceptable to have an increase in road deaths. As for Private Speed Cameras that is completely unacceptable. It will then be about nabbing as many as possible and screwing them with fines.

There will be no such thing as education or driving schools. Just rob their money... with Brown Envelope Bertie. Private Enterprise should have nothing to do with law and order because this is what this is. If a person commits a motoring offense it should be a matter for the Gardai not Private Companies. And on top of it we have the crappiest roads going, If our roads were better then there would not be as many accidents. And with the current attitude from the Government towards our roads of just privatise them, I'd rather things stay the way they are.

As for people hitting pillars :p It was my first time ever driving so excuse me if I take a dislike to Manual Gearboxes.

netwhizkid wrote:
    No I'm Irish but have visited there and really opened my eyes to the crap reality we are living in, our cars suck so much! If I ever was in politics I'd ban VRT make all cars €50 to tax whether it is 1 litre or 11Litre. Make Petrol cheap and give the people back their motoring freedom. I'd also nationalise all private motor insurance and have a fair balanced system.

I am 19 yrs and the thought of driving a small manual "super-mini" really goes through me like a laxative. We really need decent cars.

Automatics FTW! Woot!
    OK, stay with me here, I am not sure if I follow you. If manual cars are really dangerous and automatics are really safe would that mean that a country where automatics were more numerous would be safer? Also, what if that country also had really good roads?

I am not a praying person but tonight I am going to offer up a prayer to anyone that is listening. Please feel feel to join me. It will go somthing like this:

Dear God / boss / allah / budda / non - specific religious icon/deity please please please please make sure that Netwhizkid never gets into politics. If sometime in our future there is a situation where we really need a political representative and he is the only person available please consider raising Liam Lawler from the dead as I feel he would be a better choice. Oh, and if you have any magic left teach him how to change gears. Amen.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stephen wrote:
    Dear netwhizkid,

Best regards,

Your friend,

Stephen.

Thread has definately taken a turn towards the bizarre! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

netwhizkid wrote:
    Make Petrol cheap and give the people back their motoring freedom.

Some one give him back his pills. Have you any concept of where Petrol comes from? It comes from Oil which is running out hence the price of petrol will steadily increase until it is no longer economically viable to refine it. Maybe if you got into Govt. you could take a crack at inventing a flux capacitor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Stephen wrote:
    Dear netwhizkid,

Best regards,

Your friend,

Stephen.

he does brighten up an otherwise fairly dull day on boards though :D . You go kid, I'll vote fer ya!

Advertisement