Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo healing.

Options
  • 12-04-2006 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Ok maybe I'm putting my *ss on the line here but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about it.

I got a tattoo (my first) last week and have been treating it with a tender heart since then.

I've tried to read different articles but figured it's better to ask people who have tattoos :D

(I spoke to my tattoo artist so have a good idea what its all about, just want to hear peoples experiences)

Currently I've been putting a slight thin layer (just enough to make it look shiny) of ointment on the tattoo since I got it. 6 days ago.

I've read somewhere about the tattoo starting to "flake"? Is that my aim to keep putting on ointment until it starts to flake and then quit with the ointment and maybe use a mild hand cream or something?

Btw. The tattoo isn't completely finished yet. Still in for another session. First one lasted for ca. 4 hours.

Hope to get some good answers =)

/Pape

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Once you keep it moistened and dont allow it to dry out then you wont get "flaking" as such which is just the dried scab falling off. I find that if you hop in the shower about 4-5 days after the tat that it will start to peel when you rub it gently in the shower. Basically you will get the scab coming off over about 2-3 days, go easy on it, only rub gently and never be tempted to drag on a piece that wont come off, this will leave gaps in the final tattoo. Basically keep it moist and treat it gently and it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Blub2k4:

if scabbing appears.. like you said.. dried skin flakes... should one still continue with the ointment? Think it gets to dried up otherwise or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Personally I keep using bepanthen for about two weeks up to three times a day, the scab works itself off in a hot bath or shower about day 3-4. Dont let it dry out completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Personally I keep using bepanthen for about two weeks up to three times a day, the scab works itself off in a hot bath or shower about day 3-4. Dont let it dry out completely.

Thanks Blub2k4!

After a shower I let it dry for around 15 minutes then I apply ointment again so it wont dry out.

Again.. thanks for the tips!
    Still have another sitting.. will post a hopefully nice picture later when its completely done :D

Advertisement