Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my home - Attic conversion megamerge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

NewHome wrote: »
    We just got the attic converted without the new stairs or landing

Did you put ratiators in?? If not (like us) what's to room like? To hot, to cold or fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

Nope no radiators or plumbing done and it seems grand. In fact on those sunny days last weekend, it was positively balmy with the sun shining in the two velux. But we have bought a plug in radiator, you know the Dimplex ones in case it does get a bit cold in the middle of winter. We have no plans to use the room very extensively or as a second sitting room or anything, so radiators aren't really necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Hi NewHome,

Can you tell me who put the Velux windows in for you? and how much approx? As we would be interested in starting with the Windows. Did you put two small windows in? Thanks

Hiya TnJ

It was a guy called Michael from attic ladders based in Dalkey and we got two small velux.http://www.atticladders.com He's great to deal with we were delighted with the job he did.

He did the whole conversion job for us for 8k, but we know neighbours who used him for just the 2 velux windows and they were charged just over 1k I think, maybe a bit more.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nearly There

Hi - I have no intention of trying to convert the attic (as this is not feasible due to roof pitch and space that would be gained)....however I have noticed a couple of 3 bed duplexes on the Park side that have a velux window in their roof.

Just wondering if anybody knows what they have done here - something to do with bringing light down into the bathroom maybe???:confused:

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Hi, we got our attic conversion (2 bed) done in April, really happy with it but have a question about safety. We have three velux windows in and they look great but I have noticed that some people seem to be getting two in, a large one and a small one. Is this for fire escape reasons?. We use ours as a bedroom and could not get out the current velux windows should there be a fire. Our builder did not mention this to us and we did not think of this at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

We just got the attic converted without the new stairs or landing - just kept the stira thing. We had already floored the attic ourselves (or should I say Himself). For 8k we got 2 velux windows, walls and ceiling plasterboarded and skimmed,skirting boards, spotlights, electrical points, oodles of shelving and cupboard access to loads of floored storage in the sloped parts behind the new walls.

It took about 10 days all told.

We use it primarily for storage and as a library/office.

What type of house are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Hiya TnJ

It was a guy called Michael from attic ladders based in Dalkey and we got two small velux.http://www.atticladders.com He's great to deal with we were delighted with the job he did.

He did the whole conversion job for us for 8k, but we know neighbours who used him for just the 2 velux windows and they were charged just over 1k I think, maybe a bit more.

Hope this helps :)

May I ask what was included in the conversion?
    Stairs? Walls? Insulation? Plastering? Painting? Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ADK wrote: »
    Hi, we got our attic conversion (2 bed) done in April, really happy with it but have a question about safety. We have three velux windows in and they look great but I have noticed that some people seem to be getting two in, a large one and a small one. Is this for fire escape reasons?. We use ours as a bedroom and could not get out the current velux windows should there be a fire. Our builder did not mention this to us and we did not think of this at the time.

depends on whether you got the conversion certified as an extra room - if you did there are fire safety regulations (and conditions on space and roof height) that have be met. Most attic conversions though are just classified as "storage space" and no such conditions apply. Not sure what the implication of this are for insurance etc, especially if you're using it as a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

loyatemu wrote: »
    depends on whether you got the conversion certified as an extra room - if you did there are fire safety regulations (and conditions on space and roof height) that have be met. Most attic conversions though are just classified as "storage space" and no such conditions apply. Not sure what the implication of this are for insurance etc, especially if you're using it as a bedroom.

Plus, you will not be able to sell the house as a 3 bed unless it is certified as "habitable space" ie fire regs and height requirements are met.

• Advertisement

daveco23 wrote: »
    What type of house are you in?

a 2 bed mid-terrace

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    May I ask what was included in the conversion?
    Stairs? Walls? Insulation? Plastering? Painting? Windows?
    We just got the attic converted without the new stairs or landing - just kept the stira thing. We had already floored the attic ourselves (or should I say Himself). For 8k we got 2 velux windows, walls and ceiling plasterboarded and skimmed,skirting boards, spotlights, electrical points, oodles of shelving and cupboard access to loads of floored storage in the sloped parts behind the new walls.

It took about 10 days all told.

We use it primarily for storage and as a library/office.

I've pm'd you.

I just got a quote from a company called TAE Carpentry.

Has anyone here used them or know anyone else who has??

I'm happy with the quote but would love to hear from someone who's used them before. He claimed to have worked in Charlesland before.

ADK wrote: »
    We have three velux windows in and they look great but I have noticed that some people seem to be getting two in, a large one and a small one. Is this for fire escape reasons?

The minimum width for a velux window to be clasified as a fire escape is 600mm

The existing joices are only 600mm so they will only fit 550mm velux windows.

I decided to go with TAE capenters to put in the stairs and they did an absolutely fantastic job. They arrived at 8.30am and were done by 2pm.
    The woodwork is top quality and as i had a very large desk and couch/bed in the back room already, i've actually gained floor space.

All they did was put in the stairs, move the joices and cut away the plasterboard for head room. I must have been in the attic a hundred times taking measurments and putting in cables but i can't get over the size of the room when you come up from stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ru wrote: »
    All they did was put in the stairs, move the joices and cut away the plasterboard for head room. I must have been in the attic a hundred times taking measurments and putting in cables but i can't get over the size of the room when you come up from stairs.

Just as a matter of interest...how many joists did you cut to get the stairs in?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest...how many joists did you cut to get the stairs in?

2 floor joices were cut and new supports put in.
    1 Ceiling joist was removed and a second one will be taken out but i have to wait until next week when the new wall (in the back room) is put in which will add support.

I'll put up a few pictures later if i find the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JKB

Ru do you have any pictures yet, would love to see how it looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Ru wrote: »
    The minimum width for a velux window to be clasified as a fire escape is 600mm

The existing joices are only 600mm so they will only fit 550mm velux windows.

I decided to go with TAE capenters to put in the stairs and they did an absolutely fantastic job. They arrived at 8.30am and were done by 2pm.
    The woodwork is top quality and as i had a very large desk and couch/bed in the back room already, i've actually gained floor space.

Ru-can you PM a contact number for TAE Carpentry as I would like to call them for a quote, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi - finally going to get this done! Getting a couple quotes at the moment - has anyone had their attic converted by Dermot McKenna in Delgany? I've seen his van around- you can pm me if you want.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Hi,
    He did mine last feb and it looks fine to me until now.

• Advertisement

Try Tommy Gormally, Celtic Developments 087 2422190 (from handy numbers and links thread) - He did mine, and it is a fantastic job. I have yet to see a 2-bed the way mine was done and I believe mine is the best possible job (layout, spec) you can have done (biased, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Try Tommy Gormally, Celtic Developments 087 2422190 (from handy numbers and links thread) - He did mine, and it is a fantastic job. I have yet to see a 2-bed the way mine was done and I believe mine is the best possible job (layout, spec) you can have done (biased, I know).

I am looking into conversion options myself, and I've seen astro's, he's right, the lads did a fantastic job there, it's absolutely fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi Astro - I saw yours several months ago! Yes, it is fab and Tommy is one of the people currently giving me quotes! Based on the job, I'd certainly go with him - just checking out a couple guys for comparison. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Toto_02 wrote: »
    Hi,
    He did mine last feb and it looks fine to me until now.

you say "until now"...... has something gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Got our three bed done by a builder from Kilcoole. Based on 5 quotes, he was the only one who even mentioned RSJ's and a certificate to say it is structuraaly sound. first class job done! will pm details if you like.n

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Astro - Any chance of seeing a couple of photos?

No problem with getting a few photos taken of it - Won't be posting a photo of my bedroom on the web if you don't mind so if you PM me with an email address I'll certainly send some over.

ryecatcher wrote: »
    Hi Astro - I saw yours several months ago! Yes, it is fab and Tommy is one of the people currently giving me quotes! Based on the job, I'd certainly go with him - just checking out a couple guys for comparison. Thanks.

I'd just be a dubious about any other contractor doing the work unless supervised by an independant surveyor/engineer with the appropriate qualifications/professional indemnity cover. Also ask for copies of insurances, don't take 'yes I have some' as proof! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

No problem with getting a few photos taken of it - Won't be posting a photo of my bedroom on the web if you don't mind so if you PM me with an email address I'll certainly send some over.

PM Sent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

No actually I am really happy with it.

If you want to see the results send me a PM and I'll give you my address

Advertisement