Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free webhosting??

Options
  • 12-04-2006 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭

anyone know of anyone? i used yahoo a few years ago when i was in college but these dont seem to do it anymore.

p.s cant post a thread in the webhosting section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mel123 wrote:
    anyone know of anyone? i used yahoo a few years ago when i was in college but these dont seem to do it anymore.
    Yahoo! owns GeoCities which provides free hosting. It is advertising sponsored and you don't get any PHP/CGI/MySQL as it is aimed as Joe Soap.

Look at the Hosting Links sticky (from the Web Hosting forum). For example, it says that Tripod.co.uk is free and has PHP support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dmtiling

The best free host I have used is www.awardspace.com

They have php,mysql, perl and loads more. Also it is ad free. But if you want a good host just pay for one. It is worth it in the end and you get a much better service. Web hosting dosn't cost that much anyway.

Try www.awardspace.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

www.frihost.com

They have Linux servers and you can use php. You have a control panel, DirectAdmin. You can use their subdomain that they give you <yourname>.frih.net or you can add your own that you might have bought with a site say www.eurodns.com or you can have both

You can have unlimited emails and unlimited subdomains. There is also lots of other things you can do like run a script every x amount of time...

But there is one small price you have to pay. You must be active on there forums (maybe posting once every two weeks or something). But that is a very small price to pay for such great hosting

Check them out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

'real' hosting is so cost effective these days (from as little as 3 or 4 euro per month) that the point of free hosting isn't as relevant these days./

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

'real' hosting is so cost effective these days (from as little as 3 or 4 euro per month) that the point of free hosting isn't as relevant these days./

I'd have to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

steve, blacknight, of course you are going to say that "real" hosting is cost effective, you both work for/own hosting companies. Hosting is your bread and butter :p. But in fairness "real" hosting has gotten a lot cheaper then it was, for proper hosting with good uptime and the like, 10-20Eur/month is not much really and if you want to do the job proper, "real" hosting is the way to go.

The only problem with paying for hosting is that a lot of companies will only deal with credit cards which means that people who are under 18 and cant borrow there parents cards are left out in the cold. That is the reason why I dont use "real" hosting myself.

And besides, the OP was looking for free hosting so as cheap as your services are he/she probably cant or wont pay for them.

OP, Xylene also provides free web hosting, with no advertisments. All they ask is that you spread the word and that if you can, donate a server to them (basicly you run a webserver from your home and let xylene use it).
    If you are interested, drop me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Well, we also accept Laser, Wire transfer, cheques, drafts, postal orders and cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The only thing we don't accept is cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

thanks guys for all ur replies...guess what ill be doing for the weekend!!
    i dont want a hi-tech type website or anything like that, so i figure whats the point in paying for hosting, even if it is only a small amount of money a month, it all adds up, and better in my pocket and all of that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

blacknight wrote:
    The only thing we don't accept is cash :)
    This is true, their Enterprise Hosting package only costs two handjobs and a quarter ounce of hash. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement