Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning JAVA

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

How long did take you to have working knowledge of JAVA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

We studied C/C++ in university as Java was new at the time. To be a bit different I did my 3rd year project in Java and taught myself as I went along. All in all about 3 months. Funny thing is I haven't used C since I left university:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

I suppose it depends where you are starting from.

Have you much experience programming in other languages and are you familiar with OO concepts? If so then it's basically learning the syntax.

I think alot of the OO concepts like inheritence/polymorphism etc. seem a bit silly if
    you come from a strictly procederal background.

System.out.println("Java is a little verbose, yes?");

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I don't like the look of java...

I have managed to build up a working knowledge of PHP in less than three months with no prior language experience, so I'm impressed with myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

japanpaul wrote:
    All in all about 3 months.

Teaching yourself in 3 months to do something is one thing. Actually *Knowing* java would take a lot longer. Heck I thought I knew a lot about Java until I started studying for the SCJP exam and I had been coding for years prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I agree with Hobbes: even if you don't do the exam, follow along one of these Exam books. It exposes so much more of the language than you usually use, that you learn much more. Of course, you need to use it for something too, otherwise you just won't learn it at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement