Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice: considering this card - Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GT 512MB AGP

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm seriously considering buying a new Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GT SILENT 512MB AGP graphics card.http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800AGP_Series.html#agx_2d030_2dgw
    It's damn pricey and I want to know will it make a whole lot of difference to my system.
    My current system specs are:
    Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256mb
    Motherboard: Asus K8N-E Deluxe, nForce3 250Gb
    CPU: AMD 64 3200+ (socket 754)
    PSU: Antec NEO480GB 480-Watt
    RAM: Corsair value 2gb.

Should I just go PCI-Express instead? I didn't want to have to fork out for a whole new motherboard and graphics card. I thought I'd get a year or two more out of the AGP setup if I get this card. What are your thoughts? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It would make a considerable difference, that Gainward card is actually rather special in that it is a 7800GT bridged to AGP.

Top it off with 512MB and you have the fastest AGP card money can buy now whether that €400 is well spent is another matter.

I'd probably say it is just about worth it, the motherboard CPU sockets for AMD's CPU's are about to change so any new S754 PCI-E motherboard you buy has a limited future CPU upgrade path. It should net you another year or two out of your current system though keep in mind any future system wont be able to use the AGP card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I was considering this myself, i'm s754, and apart from my gfx card (5950 ultra) my pc is still very good by todays standards. I was going to stay AGP but eventually i'd just have to go PCI-E anyway. Fact is a gfx card will cost you a lot more than a mobo so i'm going pci-e instead. Then I can keep my 500 euro card and just replace the mobo instead when i change sockets.

Advertisement