Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 leaked footage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

woah.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

woohoo..more overendered footage of the same stuff we always see on these movies...deciedly un-impressive...show us some new and innovative games please sony, instead of of cool technical demos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really wish i could see some proper footage sony....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Thats what E3 is for.

Those were technical demoes being shown to games developers at GDC, what do you expect. I still find them pretty promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

GDC isn't for consumers, it's for developers. that game with the plane zooming around (warhawk) wasn't a tech demo anyway, it was a level he was playing on stage (with a ps2 controller i may add)

• Advertisement

steviec wrote:
    Thats what E3 is for.

Those were technical demoes being shown to games developers at GDC, what do you expect. I still find them pretty promising though.

I'm aware they were tech demos, it's what they were tech demos for i'm questioning, imean what do people honestly expect sony to come up with this time around?
    me? i reckon rehashes of the same old crap for the most part, undoubtedly prettier looking crap, but still the usual suspects with maybe an odd gem like
    '..colossus' thrown in here or there.
    PSP ANYONE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

hairball wrote:
    I'm aware they were tech demos, it's what they were tech demos for i'm questioning, imean what do people honestly expect sony to come up with this time around?
    me? i reckon rehashes of the same old crap for the most part, undoubtedly prettier looking crap, but still the usual suspects with maybe an odd gem like
    '..colossus' thrown in here or there.
    PSP ANYONE?

They were tech demoes showing what the hardware was capable of. The intended audience was game developers, the people who actually make the games. Physics and destructable environments are a big theme Sony have been going with, because its really the next logical step forward with the new hardware. There's no reason for every single game not to have realistic physics. In some cases it'll just be for effect, but half life 2 showed the potential effect it can have on gameplay in the right hands.

I'm not sure how you can equate tech demoes with poor gameplay exactly? Technology and gameplay aren't exactly mutually exclusive. The hardware is there to give the game creators as many tools as possible at their disposal to make good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Games on the PS3 are going to cost a fortune to develop. I think they'll end up alienating the smaller developers. They'll probably end up working on Revolution/PC games. That said, the PS3's visuals are amazing, but I bet the games won't look that good when they're released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How will it be cheaper to make games for PC than Playstation3, licensing fees aside (which are comparable to PS2 fees)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

How will it be cheaper to make games for PC than Playstation3, licensing fees aside (which are comparable to PS2 fees)?

Maybe he's refering to the developers of games like "Barbie eats a shoe" and "Spongebob squarepants gets molested" rather than high-end developers... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The cell processor, and it's unique-ness, would undoubtably be harder to programe than a pc/360 game, I'd say. But give it a few years, and the'll eventually have games running at there best.

The cell processor, and it's unique-ness, would undoubtably be harder to programe than a pc/360 game, I'd say. But give it a few years, and the'll eventually have games running at there best.

it always takes a year or two before devs learn the machines properly, and this time sony shipped ps3 devkits with 3 engines (havok, unreal3 and ageia) and bought SN Systems (people who made compillers for loads of consoles over the years) to aid the devs... sure, it'll be harder then standard PC architecture, but that's only because it's different. they've plenty of help along the way

steviec wrote:

I'm not sure how you can equate tech demoes with poor gameplay exactly?

I'm not equating tech demos with poor gameply..i'm equating sony with rehashing.

hairball wrote:
    i'm equating sony with rehashing.

B000A2R54M.02.THUMBZZZ.jpg
    B00009WAUD.02.THUMBZZZ.jpg
    B00005MDZY.02.THUMBZZZ.jpg

have i made a point? that's just 1 franchise on 1 system made by 1 company. it goes on all the time. equating sony with rehashing is like equating man utd with football

point taken, and its a fair one, all of em do it but i do think at least nintendo try to innovate as well as rehash.
    If you really wanted to make a point show most of the psps catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

not impressed.

but i havnt been impressed with any of the 3 upcoming consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Example: Galactic Civilizations 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    not impressed.

but i havnt been impressed with any of the 3 upcoming consoles.
    well what are you excepting ? virtual reality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060225-6265.html

If IBM pull this off then the PS3's development costs should be kept down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, the Playstation brand plays host to the most rehashed, old ideas in gaming. Sure I forgot that games like Rez, Freak Out, Singstar, Katamari Damacy, Eye Toy, Guitar Freaks, Ico, SOTC etc etc etc all appeared exclusively on other consoles, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well what are you excepting ? virtual reality ?

no...but neither the buisness plan nor the actual games of any the consoles have appealled to me.

Revolution -as wonderful and unique the new controller is, it mostly looks like a pain in the arse nad i havnt seen a comfortable, easy use for it yet. i've tried sitting there holding my remote trying to understand what it will feel like holding this controller, all it made me think was that it will either be horrible uncomfortable or expecting far too much commitment from the gamer. Think of the havoc that could happen if you have to quickly scratch your balls or take a quick slug of a drink. Sure you can pause...but it makes the whole feeling of playing games much more "formal"

Of course there's also the games, which for the revolution we havnt heard much beyond the backward compatablilty and the downloadables. Which isnt enough to make me really excited.

Xbox-360: Pisses me off more then actually not impresses. Before its launch my opinion was of the 3 consoles it was the most pratically designed. It actually felt next gen to me because they had gone and expanded the areas the Xbox excelled at. Xbox live and better customization of the console making it feel like it was yours. That really appealled to me. IT wasnt the graphics that impressed me, it was how it was all brilliantly tied into this neat package (the menu button on the remote) The whole community approach Sega tried with the Dreamcast was now almost a reality with the xbox360.

But its the games that kick it straight in the gooleys. There was nothing beyond maybe project gothem street racer 3 that really tried to push the xbox live feature to the next level. The games for the most part have been all lacklustre. Hence a disapointment.

Now the PS3.

They're alot of words going around that it is embracing the same things as the xbox360. better network support, a hard drive, numerous ports for oh so many features. To me it looks like a mess cause i dont feel them pushing anything. I mean the PS2 they pushed that it was now more then just a console. The same with the PSP, i could see gameplans with those two. But the PS3 just feels like anything microsoft or nintendo say they have, sony just shouts back that they got it TOO!!! and its BETTER!!! which ok, yippee its gonna be great. But its not exciting me nor am i impressed. But to be fair it is the furthest off of the 3 consoles. But so far i'm not impressed.

On the games front. Yes the PS2 has been the console for many an original games, but in sony's campaign for the ps3, that strength isnt really brought up, the killer aces that sony show off are still the titles which are 'safe' sequels. I know its not all of them. But thats where alot of emphasize is put on.

Overall nothing has made me want to buy a new console, the simple fact that people are naming off better games still coming to the ps2 (katamari i love you!) and even the original xbox when the 360 is out, shows that this generation is not making the same impact as the previous one did. When the PS2 and Dreamcast hit, quality AAA titles for the N64 and PS1 dried up very bloody quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Think of the havoc that could happen if you have to quickly scratch your balls or take a quick slug of a drink. Sure you can pause...but it makes the whole feeling of playing games much more "formal"

Generally if I need to scratch my balls and/or have a drink I need to pause a game anyway, given that both my hands are needed to control any controller/keyboard... it's either that or get the sh*t kicked out of me in Halo 2 while I stand perfectly still (Or use my spare hand to aimlessly run around hoping I can get away just long enough until my other hand is free again).

If anything the Rev offers the wonderous ability of multitasking, I could sit there with my revmote in one hand and a can/my balls in the other :D (although I imagine most of the games will use the analogue stick or something else instead)

Frankly I'm bored of the inter-console bickering; not that I think it's pointless but it is when two out of three of the machines have yet to debut... If sony release a video the fanboys will say it's superb and shows how the 360 sucks and the MS heads will say it's obviously prerendered. Interestingly Nintendo's decision to go a different route has managed to pull them out of a lot of this bickering, at least on a graphical level, saying that even the hardcorest of Ninty fans have their doubts about the Red Steel screenies that are doing the rounds at the moment.
    When the three machines are available at Christmas (assuming they all have some level of decent software support), then it will be easier to say what is better than what, until then we're just all revealing our inbuilt biases; had those Red Steel clips been for the PS3 I wouldn't have thought much of them as I am sceptical of anything Sony say until I see it, even though I still don't believe them 100% I'm willing to give nintendo a little bit more sway on them though.

PS3 will sell the most units, nintendo rev will have the more interesting games, 360 will dominate online play with consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you had of said the same to me that the PSP would beat the Nintendo DS hands down in handheld console sales about 12 months ago I would have agreed with you. However now the DS is way ahead of the PSP. I'd say wait and see. If nintendo and microsoft play this well they could knock Sony from the top spot. A low 360 and an even lower Revolution price could really damage Sonys sales at christmas especially if there is a shortage of PS3 consoles which there almost certainly will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If you had of said the same to me that the PSP would beat the Nintendo DS hands down in handheld console sales about 12 months ago I would have agreed with you. However now the DS is way ahead of the PSP. I'd say wait and see. If nintendo and microsoft play this well they could knock Sony from the top spot. A low 360 and an even lower Revolution price could really damage Sonys sales at christmas especially if there is a shortage of PS3 consoles which there almost certainly will be.
    I agree. Couple that with Microsaoft having a back catalogue that will stretch a over a year at that stage (next gen games) I think SOny will find it very difficult to regain it's dominant position.

I'm more looking forward to the Revolution though, I mean the PS3 won't be able to do anything more than the 360 in terms of interaction and inovation. The rev will definately have the niche and if the controller is used properly by game dev's then I think it will be the rebirth of gaming.

PS: Didn anyone lese notice the demo shown in the first post was shown on a samsung tv. And here I was thinking the Bravia was the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I posted most of these, and at better quality, some time ago on the Playstation forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054911340

Oh, and whomever is complaining about Sony rehashing really needs to wake up. I think nearly half the titles Sony alone has announced for PS3 are original properties. Sony invests a lot in original IP, moreso I'd say that either of the other platform holders. Think of Lair, Heavenly Sword, Eyedentify, LA Noire, Monster Carnival, Angel Rings, Motorstorm, Resistance etc. While we don't know a lot about many of these titles, they have been announced.
    sprinkles wrote:
    I mean the PS3 won't be able to do anything more than the 360 in terms of interaction and inovation.

Depends how you define "interaction". I think it's fairly clear PS3 has a notable advantage over 360 when it comes to physics, for example.

I think broadly speaking, PS3 offers a wider pallette to developers to work with. Innovation and game quality are a function of developer talent, but all else being equal, better technical capability should allow for better games.

LookingFor wrote:

Depends how you define "interaction". I think it's fairly clear PS3 has a notable advantage over 360 when it comes to physics, for example.

I think broadly speaking, PS3 offers a wider pallette to developers to work with.

But will third party developers take hold of the cell, and make uber cool physics, when there games are released on all platforms? I doubt it. Sure, sony titles, and exclusive games will prolly undoubtably after a while use the cell in all it's glory, but I seriously doubt EA, ubisoft, etc.. are gonna work that extra bit hard to make a guy falling of a building in splinter cell4 look more realistic than it's 360/rev couterpart. And considering the amount of third party games on both the xbox, and ps2, it's safe to say most games will be third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

LookingFor wrote:

I think broadly speaking, PS3 offers a wider pallette to developers to work with. Innovation and game quality are a function of developer talent, but all else being equal, better technical capability should allow for better games.

I define interaction the means by which I can influence and dictate what happens in the game. I have spent more enjoyable hours rubbing and tapping the little screen on my ds than I have with a joypad in my hand because I find it a break from the norm.

Of course the machine is mearly the tools with which the dev's create the enjoyment but my point is that the tools can be more intuitive. Boosting the graphics engine, processor speed, etc etc, can leed to prettier, more complex games which can challenge you on new levels but your still in the same position, whith the same number of buttons to press. No difference. It's a hard tast for the dev's to challenge a group of people who have played that game countless times in the same manner.
    Think of Lair, Heavenly Sword, Eyedentify, LA Noire, Monster Carnival, Angel Rings, Motorstorm, Resistance etc. While we don't know a lot about many of these titles, they have been announced.

Exactly we don't know anything about them. I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft could list of an equally obscure list of games that they will be releasing.

yeh you know grumpy's right, it may not actually be sony, nintendo or MS's fault( or their care for that matter), it is what the 3rd parties choose to do with the hardware and i'm afraid, my belief is that the big studios(for the most part, there are always exceptions) choose time and again to take the easy way out.
    I'm fully awake thanks very much, and that's how i forsee it at the moment, i'd love to be proved wrong and i hope i will...let's see then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

But will third party developers take hold of the cell, and make uber cool physics, when there games are released on all platforms? I doubt it.

I don't know if I would. Middleware (AGEIA/Havok) makes it easy to turn things up or down on different platforms. Mark Rein from Epic made the heavy suggestion that they'd be able to get more out of PS3 with regard to physics, in UT2007, for example.

I also get the impression that PS3 will be the lead platform on a lot of console titles, for third parties.
    sprinkles wrote:
    Of course the machine is mearly the tools with which the dev's create the enjoyment but my point is that the tools can be more intuitive. Boosting the graphics engine, processor speed, etc etc, can leed to prettier, more complex games which can challenge you on new levels but your still in the same position, whith the same number of buttons to press. No
    difference.

I think part of interaction is the feedback you get on that. Which something like processing power is directly relevant to.

I think on interface, specifically, though, it's easy to overlook the fairly radical push Sony has made with the likes of eyetoy, long before Rev was a twinkle in Nintendo's eye. And they'll continue to evolve that. Unfortunately the biggest stumbling block for eyetoy right now - asides from technicalities and the cost of infrared cameras if you wanted 3d motion detection etc. - is that it's not a standard part of the machine, it's an optional complementary interface. Sony hasn't made that kind of leap yet, but they certainly haven't neglected that area either.
    sprinkles wrote:
    Exactly we don't know anything about them. I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft could list of an equally obscure list of games that they will be releasing.

So now original IPs are destined to obscurity? Seriously, publishers can't win. Take some interest in them, and maybe they'll provide more. All I know is that many of the titles I mentioned from Sony are big budget games, and the investment on their part is huge.

I will say, though, that Sony's own portfolio seems more heavily weighted toward original games than the others, at least last time I checked. They're all doing fairly well, though, that I know of (which doesn't cover Nintendo since they've barely announced anything yet).

Advertisement