Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will you be joining?

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

So after the last year, what societies and clubs will you be joining next year?

Personally....
    1. LawSoc
    2. B&L (im in the course for gods sake....have to really!)
    3. a political party who shall remain anonymous as I don't want this to turn into a political thread!
    4. Outreach
    5. World Aid

I think thats about it...a large drop-off from the huge amount i joined in first year!
    I shall be continuing my boycott of L&H, QSoc and C&E!

A non-exhaustive list of societies! 78 votes

LawSoc
    0% 0 votes
    L&H
    19% 15 votes
    B&L
    15% 12 votes
    C&E
    11% 9 votes
    QSoc
    11% 9 votes
    DramSoc
    8% 7 votes
    ComedySoc
    7% 6 votes
    WorldAid Soc
    10% 8 votes
    RetroSoc
    8% 7 votes
    FilmSoc
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I joined far too many clubs and socs in 1st year, in 2nd year I narrowed it down to...

1.L&H
    2.LawSoc
    3.History Soc
    4.Classical Soc

the last two mainly because two of my friends were co-auditor and secretary respectively. I imagine it'll be the same four again for 3rd year, that and boards soc of course, free & fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1. Mountaineering club
    2. Dunno what else! can't remember what there is :p

I'll defo be more active in any clubs or socs I join next year... Didn't do a thing with any I joined this year. bleh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1. GameSoc (I'm on the committee for next year!)
    2. TKD
    3. Netsoc
    for definite, and I'll probably join a few others too. I've done the join-too-many-socs thing far too many times already, and I'll probably end up doing it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

An Cumann Gaelach
    Law Soc
    L&H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'll defo be more active in any clubs or socs I join next year... Didn't do a thing with any I joined this year. bleh
    Yeah me too...

World Aid soc
    an Cumann Gaelach
    Q-Soc
    possibly a certain political party

maybe some more dunno yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah world aid, wohoo. So proud of us that we managed to get included on a poll like this!:D

If anyone is interested in getting involved, the world aid agm is on tonight at 5 in eng 326!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lawsoc, B&L and that's it. I've joined other societies before, but got nothing out of it.

In fact, I got fcuk-all out of joining those two either, but I have friends involved in both, so it makes most sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I'll join whatever soc offers me the most food in the tent, TBH.
    Is there a poker soc or a soc that plays poker? I'll definitely join that next year. I'll probably spend half an hour pestering the pagan soc stand, only to tell them that in actuality I think they're a bit of a joke :)
    Probably world aid soc, if they offer me free food. I do be starving sometimes!
    Comedy soc, naturally!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

1. Gamesoc (treasurer)
    2. Netsoc (cheep hosting!)
    3. Lawsoc (debates are funny :D )
    4. Q-soc (commerce student)
    5. Photographic soc (maybe next year I'll get to some of their events)
    6. Poker soc (for losing money with)

And probably any of them that I can calculate the value of the free gifts at over €2 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

You should all give Eng Soc a go! Good concessions and free into the Screwball!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

*Note to self*

Make sure we have free food on the world aid stand during fresher's week to make sure scouser.tommy joins!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'll prob just join netsoc, i've joined way too many before and netsoc is the only one i've ever actually used

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Join Gamesoc!
    *pimppimppimp*

what exactly do they do? I only have a PC anyways, but want to get a PS3 when its out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yay world aid soc is doing brill!!
    Whats the story on comedy soc fot his year hullaballoo?Did you get someone to manage it?

Im joining:
    world aid soc
    Med soc
    Comedy soc

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What's comedy soc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

rad soc, archaelogy and whatever else takes my fancy.

What's comedy soc?

I thought you were involved with it?You know comedy soc?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Gamesoc does all kinds of gaming: PC, Playstation, X-Box, Nintentdo, Sega (retro gaming nights), Board Games, RPGS etc...

panda100 wrote:
    I thought you were involved with it?You know comedy soc?
    I resign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i won't be joining anything. my flatmate's heavily involved with the L and H, so i do all my societymembering vicariously through her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

If I get the place on the MA course, Archaeology, History and Classical Socs. Plus a few others like Pagan and Lit. etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Nothing!

*does the finishing college dance*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Probably GameSoc, NetSoc and JazzSoc again. Rifle Club too. Dunno if I'll bother with Sci-Fi, but I probably will go for the L&H again if they're giving away cool free stuff!

Nothing!

*does the finishing college dance*
    You know you will miss it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Blowfish wrote:
    You know you will miss it really

Ha!! Not a chance. :D

However, if I were here next year (please god don't let that happen!!) then I would recommend Comedy Soc, Retro Soc, Archaeology soc and History soc.

Was never really bothered with the bigger societies. They tend to only do one big event each year, whereas the smaller ones often allow you to have a lot of input and better events can be organised. For example, Archaeology Soc had a couple of trips away this year (including Edinburgh).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Going to join ComedySoc again, but they don't seem to do much. I still just head into town when I'm looking for comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Loads of people seem to be into their comedy (ditto me). We should go for a beers to the international bar or something.

Going to join ComedySoc again, but they don't seem to do much. I still just head into town when I'm looking for comedy.

have you ever been to the hapenny bride inn to see comedy?went there last week and it was the funniest ever!!well some of them were pretty dire but the rest were all good considering it was there first time doing stand up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Go to the Ha'penny a lot. Prefer the vibe there to that in the Inter. Was O'Keefe MCing?

Advertisement