Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will you be joining?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

beanyb wrote:
    Kinda sounds like World Aid, we go on tour to Wexford to save the world :D
    It's nice to know that you guys manage to assuage your guilty conscience so easily.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ElCapitano

Lol,

Looking over the old threads and it seems this threads opinions were not reflected by the majority of UCD students.

C&E blitz everyone with over 4,000 - how they did it well never know!

Law lose their title with 3,500

LnH pipped by BnL I believe? Circa 3,000

Retro Soc nowhere to be seen after two good years.

Qsoc, now calling themselves Irelands largest careers society even though theyve only done one careers event where they bribed people into a lecture hall for an Ernest and Young recruitment talk with the promise of Mystery Tour tickets, mid 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

panda100 wrote:
    I thought you were involved with it?You know comedy soc?
    I think he's pointing out that they were as much use this year as a cross between a condom and a collander.

EDIT: I didn't notice that this was an old thread, or that there were four pages of responses :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

C&E
    Law
    L&H
    B&L
    Qsoc
    Drama
    Comedy
    Ag sci
    Med
    Engineering

Theres the list of UCDs 10 biggest societies, Im pretty sure of the order (only the first 7 have over 1000 members).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

ElCapitano wrote:
    Lol,

Looking over the old threads and it seems this threads opinions were not reflected by the majority of UCD students.

Law lose their title with 3,500

LnH pipped by BnL I believe? Circa 3,000

Retro Soc nowhere to be seen after two good years.

Qsoc, now calling themselves Irelands largest careers society even though theyve only done one careers event where they bribed people into a lecture hall for an Ernest and Young recruitment talk with the promise of Mystery Tour tickets, mid 2000.

im pretty sure Qsoc have done lots of talks from peeps in the industry this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

ElCapitano wrote:
    Come to think of it, did anything/anyone ever follow up on that allegation that they'd artificially inflated their numbers?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Come to think of it, did anything/anyone ever follow up on that allegation that they'd artificially inflated their numbers?
    I'll give you three guesses.

Garret wrote:
    im pretty sure Qsoc have done lots of talks from peeps in the industry this year

No they had Lochlann Quinn in for Life time presidency and I think theyve teh guys who founded daft.ie in next week but thats it. Correct me if Im wrong.

Its pretty hard to inflate your numbers as all membership lists from the top 6 societies are checked after each day by the societies officer during freshers week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Your wrong.

Ive been to career talks for Qsoc. I remember being introduced to the talker as some random arts person (I am actually a BCOMM student).

I'll give you three guesses.
    Yes, no, and maybe?

Do I win? I win, don't I? What do I win?! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The answer is no. As to why, I'll leave that to your imagination.

r8 <3 (&3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

ElCapitano wrote:
    Its pretty hard to inflate your numbers as all membership lists from the top 6 societies are checked after each day by the societies officer during freshers week.

Wrong!

It would actually be quite easy.

Basically you bring your membership books to Gregg O'Neill or another old hack and they photocopy the pages and count the number of people. An audit of the names on the lists only takes place if there are allegations of fraud.

The allegations against C&E were that they were giving away so much free credit that people joined up multiple times. Since no (known) audit has been done, no-one knows if this really happened.

So yes, it is quite possible as it isn't too difficult.

TheVan wrote:
    Wrong!

It would actually be quite easy.

Basically you bring your membership books to Gregg O'Neill or another old hack and they photocopy the pages and count the number of people. An audit of the names on the lists only takes place if there are allegations of fraud.

The allegations against C&E were that they were giving away so much free credit that people joined up multiple times. Since no (known) audit has been done, no-one knows if this really happened.

So yes, it is quite possible as it isn't too difficult.

Pretty sure they only gave away €3 credit on the Friday. By then they were already 400 ahead of everyone.

Qsoc have only done one careers talk, the oil age talk, and the presidency for Quinn. Hardly makes them Irelands largest careers society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CE Auditor

Hey Guys,

Just to clear a few things up.

1) We are UCD's largest society.

2) We run more careers events than QSoc.

KPMG, Deloitte, PWC, Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan, and Accenture have all addressed the Commerce and Economics Society.

The society has also ran workshops on interview techniques and preperation, and constructing CVs.

3) The society did give away €3 phone credit to mebers who joined on Friday. This was simply because we ran out of goodie bags, only had 3500, and got a deal on the credit with one of our sponsors.

Everyone involved with the society will admit that a few years ago the society was mismanaged, and maybe this is the reason the society is doubted so much.

This years committee have worked extremely hard, and this has been reflected in attendance at our events this year.

The "numbers race" is something that we identified as something we wanted to win. The Iron Stomach was a members only event, we had a very strong goodie bag and our membership card contains the most concessions. We believe that these were the reasons why we became the largest.

But as I said because of our history the C&E Society will always be doubted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Childish I know but "a very strong goodie bag" made me smile.

CE Auditor wrote:
    We run more careers events than QSoc.
    *notes deliberate comparison to QSoc and the implicit statement that the whole society is about a competition and not trying to offer the best things for students regardless*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CE Auditor

*notes deliberate comparison to QSoc and the implicit statement that the whole society is about a competition and not trying to offer the best things for students regardless*

The QSoc comparison was only made in relation to the career comments before.

We do try and offer the best things for students, hence the membership card concessions, but as any auditor will tell you, sponsorship becomes a whole lot easier when you can say that you are they largest society in Ireland.

And while a society would not exist without its members, sponsors play a large part in allowing societies to expand their loss making activities.

Thats the main reason behind the competition of freshers week, not bragging rights, if so you'd see "Irelands Largest Student Society" on all our posters, but you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

I'll definately be joining Dramsoc again for my grace year. It's the only one out of the multitude I've joined over the years that I've actually gotten involved with. I think this was down to the fact that the members actually get involved with the running of the society by producing plays, in whatever capacity they're interested in (as directors, writers, techs, etc...), rather than simply attending organised events (which you can also do by just attending the plays for a discounted price). It's a very social society too, but I've found anyone willing to work hard is easily accepted. I guess the biggest thing for me has been the feeling of accomplishment doing something fun. It's been great craic but I've also got some brill stuff to put on my CV, like a nifty award and production experience, once I attempt to get an actual job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

CE Auditor wrote:
    we had a very strong goodie bag

The strongest, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

usually see me around events anything involving these; (inorder of most productive society)

1-CTN.
    2-YFG.
    3-Jazz Soc.
    4-Game Soc. (Werewolf!)
    5-Dutch Soc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement