Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A good car to get? 2005 mirca

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know nothing about cars but for some reason my mother wants my advise.

She was going to get a 2005 Micra automatic with powersteering with 25000 kilometers and still has a 2 year warranty, 5 door. for €14495. From my research that doesn't sound like a good deal compared to a new one.

Is it a good deal?

What would others recommend around that price?
    It must have power steering and an automatic is prefered. It is used for small daily distance (4k a day).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Seems a little expensive, I know there is usually a premium for automatics, but looking at carzone as a rough guide, €14495 is about €3000 more than a manual, which seems very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Generally speaking if your looking for a automatic micra the best bet is to check out jap imports, they are higher spec and lower mileage (generally) and all gauges in km.

ex. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=403237

When i was getting my car I was recommended jap import and haven't looked back, very pleased. Many of my friends have done the same and are chuffed with their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Garth wrote:
    Generally speaking if your looking for a automatic micra the best bet is to check out jap imports, they are higher spec and lower mileage (generally) and all gauges in km.

ex. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=403237

When i was getting my car I was recommended jap import and haven't looked back, very pleased. Many of my friends have done the same and are chuffed with their cars.

Couldn't agree more with this man, also jap roads are in perfect condition so it wouldn't have suffered the abuse that some cars here might have

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

a 2005 Micra automatic with powersteering with 25000 kilometers and still has a 2 year warranty, 5 door. for €14495. From my research that doesn't sound like a good deal compared to a new one

Your research is sound, it is not a good deal. A brand new Micra automatic is listed at €16,140, so if your mother is a cash buyer she'd have that on the road for around €15.5k

If she can afford €14.5k, surely she can go the extra grand and get a brand spanking new car?

Another thought. Do Nissan still do the 2006/2007 thing? It meant getting a 2006 car and provided you pay full list price, Nissan will replace it with a brand new car for free next year. Worth giving them a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

THanks for the replies thus far

She can streach the money no problem. She is trading in a Punto 2002(I think) so it is not strictly cash deal but she is not taking out finanace. Is that good for dealing or bad?

What other car models should she consider?

Her Punto appears to have been a bad deal last time but the Micra sounds good.

p.s. The list price by the sales man had the micra at 175000

• Advertisement

The list price by the sales man had the micra at 175000

So he is pocketing €159,000? ;)

Carzone:
    3 door sport auto 1.2 €16,140

Nissan Ireland:
    1.2 3dr Micra Sport Auto € 16,140

Don't expect a good trade-in price for the Punto. Might be worth your while to try and sell it privately, it will strenghten the negotiating position when buying new with cash :)

unkel wrote:
    So he is pocketing €159,000? ;)
    LOL
    How do they list at a higher price in the forecourts then? Is it just a scam or are theri magical cost they can add?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LOL
    How do they list at a higher price in the forecourts then? Is it just a scam or are theri magical cost they can add?

Things like metalic paint, delivery charges, etc are not included in the website prices. Metalic paint can cost up to €500 depending on the car, delivery related charges are vague and again depends on the dealer.

With regards the orginal question, that Micra automatic is very expensive, a used Micra auto should be worth less than the manual version as there is very little demand in Ireland for small cars with an auto. Don't just stick to one garage shop around.

Here is another example:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=328565

bazz26 wrote:

That is practically the same as the car I mentioned at the start. It probably is the same car,

Is an extra grand on top of RRP normal then? My mam won't care about colour or metalic paint.

ANy ideas on simialr types of cars

Is an extra grand on top of RRP normal then?

No it isn't, it's taking the p!ss. On a cash deal with no metallic paint, but perhaps with remote central locking / immobiliser / alarm (if this is an optional extra) and totting up delivery charges and a full tank of petrol, I would still expect to pay several % below the list price except for the most popular of models
    ANy ideas on simialr types of cars

Just had a quick browse and I'm a bit shocked by:

1. Very few small inexpensive automatic cars available
    2. Many small cars seem to cost a lot more than last time I looked

I mean, €20k for the cheapest Honda Jazz automatic or Citroen C3, €19k for the VW Polo or Peugeot 206, €18k for the Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza

In that light, the list price for the Micra doesn't look that bad @€;16k

Or am I missing other ones? The Fiat Panda duologic is a clutchless manual, so not strictly automatic, but @€;14k seems a good deal too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

unkel wrote:
    Another thought. Do Nissan still do the 2006/2007 thing? It meant getting a 2006 car and provided you pay full list price, Nissan will replace it with a brand new car for free next year. Worth giving them a call
    This is not as black and white as it says. My Mam bought a new Micra last year and was thinking of doing this, I went with her and found out that this deal costs 2000 more to do plus you cannot go over 16000km or you have to pay more for the new car you also have to pay for any damage done to the car.

My mother didn’t bother with that deal and bought her car for 15,500 cash and got alloys, spot lights, spoiler, mud guards and mats included. She bought her car in Mullingar as Nissan up here were charging about 1200 more for the same car. It really is worth shopping around and make sure someone goes with her so the sales man cant catch her out.

Kiera wrote:
    This is not as black and white as it says. My Mam bought a new Micra last year and was thinking of doing this, I went with her and found out that this deal costs 2000 more to do plus you cannot go over 16000km or you have to pay more for the new car you also have to pay for any damage done to the car

Yes there are T&Cs and like I said, it only applies if you pay full list price, where as when you are a cash buyer, you'll get a discount. In the light of these it makes more sense to pick up this offer if:

1. The cash discount is high
    2. The depreciation is high
    3. It is likely you are going to sell the (second new) car within 2 years or so of getting it

Makes much more sense for a Primera rather than a Micra, I concede :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It does indeed. Pointless for a Micra.

MS: I would really advise someone to go with her though even if you dont know about cars you will still be able to see through the sales pitch better than an older woman.

The central locking key was dodgy in my mam's new car so they changed the locks for her but expected her to pay to get a new key (worth €80). She was going to do this without batting an eyelid till she let it slip to me. I went down to the garage and got the key for nothing from them. They'll do anything to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

THanks for the replies thus far

She can streach the money no problem. She is trading in a Punto 2002(I think) so it is not strictly cash deal but she is not taking out finanace. Is that good for dealing or bad?

Garages will often give a better deal if a car is being financed. This is because the large profits on finance deals can be used to offset a reduction in the profit on the sale of the new car. It is, of course, still better for your mother not to finance the car though.

Kiera wrote:
    I would really advise someone to go with her though even if you dont know about cars you will still be able to see through the sales pitch better than an older woman

There is a lot of room for negotiation when buying a new car. Many people aren't aware of this. My mother in law was in the market for a new car a few years ago and I handled it for her. I reckon I got her a much better deal than if she'd done it herself

Advertisement