Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing

Options
  • 12-04-2006 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Right, anyone into fishing? What type: Fly, Coarse or Sea? Where abouts are you located?

I'm getting into Fly fishing, I'm living in Carlow.

What type of fishing are you interested in? 28 votes

Fly
    0% 0 votes
    Coarse
    53% 15 votes
    Sea
    46% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I primarily fish for game fish (Trout & Salmon) with the fly but will quite happily chase other species with alternative methods.
    I live in Balbriggan but travel all around the country for my fishing depending on conditions and where is fishing best at the time, and when I can sneak away from work. Looks like I will be giving the South-West a visit over this holiday weekend..... Salmon beware !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Sea fishing over the years until I was introduced to fly-fishing last year. Much prefer fly-fishing. Pity my results are so poor. Oh well. Time enough for that. Have fished the Dodder and the Barrow, and Anamoe fishery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

I started coarse fishing about three years ago. At the time, we were mainly going after Carp, as it was a stocked lake I was learning to fish on at the time.

I bought a fly-rod last summer, after my girlfriend's dad taught me to cast. He passed away, unfortunatley, no more wisdom to learn:(

I taught my friend how to cast (who taught me how to course fish) and now he prefers to fly fish aswell!

Although, last summer, I went out fishing on the Liffey in Newbridge about 10 times, my total catch was two sprats! I would like to learn: what fly to use, when and where and how !

Not too many Anglers on Boards is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

zag wrote:
    Not too many Anglers on Boards is there?
    We're just getting started. I am mainly a coarse angler with a bit of sea fishing (both shore and boat) and I have recently booked a one-day fly fishing course.

Any news of tench in Cavan? My favourite fish, since I caught some good ones (over 6 lbs) on the Grand Canal near Clanbrassil Street Bridge about 10 years ago. Too dangerous to fish there late in the evening now with all the skangers doped out of their minds, and the Poles have probably eaten all the big tench anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Michael G wrote:
    Any news of tench in Cavan? My favourite fish, since I caught some good ones (over 6 lbs) on the Grand Canal near Clanbrassil Street Bridge about 10 years ago.

Love to get some tench myself - I was thinking of trying a spot along the canal that looks pretty nice. If you're heading out towards Naas and take a right turn off the motorway for Celbridge you pass over a small bridge at the canal going right or left here I think you'd find dome nice spots. Don't know if anyone else has tried there? A wee bit nicer that the spot at Harolds X :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Pike first and foremost for me. Nothing beats landing a big double!

Had a few wreck fishing trips in Kerry over the last few years, and there is a lot to be said for pulling some monsters from the deep up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Graemem

Well I bought my wife a strap-on about 4 years ago and I...oops, wrong board....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

A-Trak wrote:
    Had a few wreck fishing trips in Kerry over the last few years, and there is a lot to be said for pulling some monsters from the deep up!

I have to say the wreck fishing doesn't do it for me. I did it once and it seemed just like a lot of heaving, with heavy tackle that the fish can't really break. I worry about the fish as well — getting the bends from being hauled up too fast, so they probably won't survive after being put back. It's not really like a fight when a pike (or a tench or a carp) just runs with your line and you have to keep it away from snags and take back line when you can. I remember my first pike, no more than 8 lbs, taken on a little telescopic spinning rod at Killykeen in Cavan just below the bridge — the most memorable five minutes of fishing I have ever had.

Out at sea, though, tope are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

PREDATOR FISHING - Pike- perch and big trout

coarse fishing

fly fishing/dapping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

yeah i think that the more delicate you go for fishing the better it gets...so im a tench/bream/hybrid man primarily, i have fished for trout and i think that as it is the most delicate it is therefore the one that requires the most skill!
    but for me, its tench/bream/coarse and pike at the mo..

adonis wrote:
    yeah i think that the more delicate you go for fishing the better it gets...so im a tench/bream/hybrid man primarily, i have fished for trout and i think that as it is the most delicate it is therefore the one that requires the most skill!
    but for me, its tench/bream/coarse and pike at the mo..
    I agree. Although I am not experienced enough to say so, I prefer the light feel of the flyrod, and the lack of boxes of equipment neccassary to go fishing. It's kind of 'old school' in my opinion. I would like to 'graduate' to Salmon fishing on the fly at some stage in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

there is something wrong with this poll
    and
    33??

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

adonis wrote:
    there is something wrong with this poll
    and
    33??

I agree :D Weird Poll.

In any case, to add my tuppence, I am a course angler, never had any interest in Fly or Sea, tried both, didn't really like it. I love to sit at a nice big lake or river and jsut basically hope for the best, never really being too sure exactly what it is you're going to catch.....I don't know how many times I've been 'Surprised' while fishing for course fish, I'm sure you've all had it, Pike on maggots/Perch on deadbaits/Eels on feckin' anything :mad: - That's probably what I love most about the sport, you can go looking for one thing but you can pretty much end up with anything on the end of your line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Sea Fishing mostly for me, chasing elusive bass around the south and west coasts for years with steadily declining success rates. Done a bit of big fish- fishing too over the years, tuna, marlin, shark etc.

Recently invested in a fly rod and can't wait to give it a go , at least I can have some certainty that there are trout in a lake instead of hoping that there might be a bass within 20 miles / or not knowing if a trawler has passed by in the last few days cleaning everrything out.

Advertisement