Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

racers

Options
  • 12-04-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

lookin to spend up tp 550e on a racer either new or second hand whicheve getsd me a baetter bike
    im from cork and theres a new bike shop after opening here : cycle pursuit
    he sells cheaper brands, but they got all the kit that a more expensive bike wood have for maybe 200/300 euro less, so he tells me
    wat would be the best advice you could give me
    is 550 enough
    are these bikes any good
    il come back to this thread with the actual name of the bikes, not that that really mtters cos teh spec is spot on and the frame geometry on inspection is very impressive
    talk soon,
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I have been in the Shop.

Your price range is limiting you for the time of year.

There are a number of good Cycle shops in cork who sell racers

Douglas Cycles
    Kilgrews
    A North Gate Bridge
    Ballincollig
    Midleton(I have never been in).

These shops have comparable value. I always recommend that you purchase from the dealer closest to you who really knows their bike repairs and service. You do not want to buy from someone who looks at you strangely when you have a mechical fault.

Compare the Equipment Specification
    Compare the frame spec

Carbon is Big bucks.

Aluminium Heavy Grages are not double butted.

If you are serious, dig as deeply as you can afford and get the best you can buy. Also remember the second hand market is sluggish in Ireland for racers on the non carbon end. So what is cheap now may not carry its value in 6 months when you are quiting or you see you need an upgrade.

Shop a lot before you pay your dosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

What are you gonna be using it for? Just your own personal fitness, charity rides or thinking of joining a racing club and starting racing?

I'm just starting out training on-road for fitness off road. I got a trek 1000 as I intend taking part in a few charity rides 100miles+ over the summer. They are about 750-800 new, but IMO a great beginner bike.

I know giant do a road bike below this (750-800) price range, might suit you? Trying to buy second hand could be a pain depending on what size you need, but you may also get a great deal.

If you just want it for fitness/health reasons, Claude Butler or Barracuda do very budget bikes.

Advertisement