Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scart Lead for surround sound system

• 12-04-2006 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 5.1 surround sound system. On the back of the woofer it has 6(i think) phono leads that can be connected up to the tv or dvd player.

Does anybody know how to connect all 6 up to the tv. Is there a scart lead with a 6 phono leads on other end?
    Any websites or links?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Normally the surround sound it part of or attached to a dvd player. To connect a tv (normally only outputting stereo sound) you would connect a pair of phono cable (normally red and white) from the audio out of the rear of the tv to the audio input of the surround sound system. You'll only be getting stereo sound, so only front right and left speaker will be outputting anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Those 6 phono leads are for component analog surround out , and typically come from either your DVD player or your AV amp if you have one , they will be labelled front , rear , centre , sub etc.
    These are an analog output of a digital soundtrack, and are usually found on the higher end DVD players and AV amps.
    They are usually better quality than standard optical as the output is from a higher quality source such as a DVD audio or SACD , usually sampled at 96khz instead of 44khz , they are supplied on an analog output to deter copying. The pure digital version is usually an I-link connection or some other form of copy protected interface.

There is no scart lead that will feed out these signals as scart does not cater for 5.1 , 5.1 is a digital format and scart only caters for stereo or Dolby pro logic , which is just a stereo mix anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

andy1249 wrote:
    They are usually better quality than standard optical as the output is from a higher quality source such as a DVD audio or SACD , usually sampled at 96khz instead of 44khz , they are supplied on an analog output to deter copying. The pure digital version is usually an I-link connection or some other form of copy protected interface.

this is true if the source material is a dvd-audio or SACD, the source isn't always..if it's a normal dvd, then better sound can be had by using the equipment with the better dacs...i.e. if you have a high end receiver, and budget dvd player, for normal dvds and cd's feed optical to the receiver and let the dacs there do the conversion, if the dvd player has the better dacs, feed analog to the receiver..

for dvd-audio and sacd, use the analog outputs as andy1249 mentioned. one of the advantages here is that higher end receivers have bass management on the analog inputs...

Advertisement