Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new bricks to colour match existing bricks

Options
  • 12-04-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I’m building an extension onto the side of my house and need to get bricks that match the bricks on the front of the existing house. The existing bricks have been painted but I’m going to restore them back to their original colour using a special acid I bought from the UK. The bricks wrap around so that there are some bricks on the side wall. This wall and these bricks will be covered with slabs as it will be an internal wall in the extension.

I’m thinking of taking a big chip off one of the bricks on the side of the house so that I can take a bit and use it for matching the original colour (I’ll go deeper than the paint has penetrated). Will the internal colour of the brick match what its original surface colour would have been?

Where should I bring the brick sample to match it to a new brick? Are there any companies (suggestions appreciated) with brick colour charts like for paint for example?

Worst case would be I get as close a match as possible for the extension but the existing bricks never come back to this colour. Would it be viable to paint the existing bricks to match the new bricks in this scenario (rationale being they’re painted already so it can’t get worse)? Also, whats the standard ballpark price for a coloured brick these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

How old is your house? or what period was it built will determine the bricks you will need to buy. Maybe throw up a pic if possible to enable brand identification.

Advertisement