Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A boards.ie soc in I.T.C.?

• 12-04-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

the impossible dream??????

ok not so much a soc but why don't we (next term) go to the soc's day and give them info on boards.ie and tell them it would be a good way of posting info about their soc's, it'd bring a lot more poeple here, so it wouldn't be a dead as its been lately?

i know the poster thing seemed to go tits up, but I'd be happy to go down to the socs thing and talk to each soc leader about it, if the mods approved (and if i get back in)

any other ideas to incrase the flow of posters here?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

should that not be what the bitbucket boards are for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Since when did it have to be an either/or deal? Why not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Moonbeam wrote:
    should that not be what the bitbucket boards are for?
    Thought that was a compsoc thing alone, im a member but its kinda techie for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I don't think a "boards soc" would increase member usage, most societies have very few regular active members compared to the number that joined on clubs and socs day. I'd say the best way to get new people to use boards would be to just tell them about it...I know that's how I and a good few other CarlowIT people joined in the last few years.

If you want to post soc specific stuff there's probably no problem just starting threads. I remember when compsoc was at it's best there were regular compsoc threads with a good few active people and discussions. Maybe there could even be a sticky with info on societies with contact info and whatnot.

Socs can have a site/forum/chat room with bitbucket...but like, there's no harm posting info about societies on here and having membership on bitbucket if you want....It's not like boards and bitbucket are rival siblings or something...

Also Bitbucket(netsoc) isn't just for techie people, there are a few non computer student people who are members, the lgb society currently have a site (or at least had one) with bitbucket, as do compsoc if i recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

tho if u get everyone on boards, it might go the way of bebo!

• Advertisement

i doubt that, bebo is all about "having your own space" etc, boards is public descusion (sp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

if you are looking to set up a boards soc talk to Fr. Rory the chaplin. He'll point you in the right direction. The societies officer will be coming into office in September so you can contact them then via the SU but they will really be on a steep learning curve for the month..

But in reality it's a case of publicising the site to students. It's not very well known outside of computer/techie circles.

Stick a flyer on the canteen tables in September to check out interest and to advertise it to the students....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

but all we do here is bitch and moan...do we really need more people for that?

we were going to advertise the site - that went tits up
    we were going to have a mag to oppose/be better than the blurb - tits up

its all pie in the sky really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

advertise boards in the blurb perhaps, as the colleges go though carlow it thread is pretty active

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

so how are u gonna advertise it? tell them to go to boards, then click education, then click carlow it or are u just gona give a direct link to the forum? eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=318

blu_sonic wrote:
    we were going to advertise the site - that went tits up
    we were going to have a mag to oppose/be better than the blurb - tits up

its all pie in the sky really

True, but it is really good pie ;)
    The_B_Man wrote:
    so how are u gonna advertise it? tell them to go to boards, then click education, then click carlow it or are u just gona give a direct link to the forum? eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=318

Um, didnt TomTom set up that direct link to the Carlow IT boards? I'll have a look for it...

[edit]
    I guess this is it: http://my.boards.ie/portal/carlow_it

But its not quite how I remembered it...
    Still, it might help some...
    [/edit]

The_B_Man wrote:

Probably the direct link

Just do out a flyer with the direct link and the 'senic route' to the site. Put it on the tables in the canteen in the first few weeks of term. That is unless you don't want non-computer / techie people like me in the forum....:D

what are you studing rogueish?

My Study days are happily over Blu :D I graduated 4 years ago from the Physiology course. I'm still around Carlow though......... for my sins :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

you must have done some nasty **** to be still there after 4 years

We won't mention the four years I was around before 2002 (Shuusssh) As for the nasty ****....... well that would be telling :o. What went on in my student days thankfully pretty much stayed there.

I'm here in Carlow now almost eight years now :eek: Thats what I get for fraternising with the locals in my final year at college. What on earth would Carlow men do without the college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

sorry, i just thought i'd point it out that if you wanted to do something like advertise in the blurd bitbucket can provide ye with a much shortened link to the carlowit boards.. perhaps even something along the lines of "boards.itcarlow.ie" which would mean that all one would have to do in the college is type in "boards" into a browser.... obviously this is dependant on admin support.

This is the kind of situation where it would benifit ye being an actual club/society

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stfu bitch

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

yo ho, what you be doin pimpin your **** all up in here.

But yes it is quite the good idea

Today tom will be bi-polar

no he won't

;_; i'm only saying like

Mordeth wrote:
    stfu bitch

WTF!!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eils

My name is Eilbhe Fogarty and I am the Clubs and Socs officer next year. If you really want to set up a Boards society send me an email with the details and the names of one or two people who will run the stand at societies day during freshers week. Thanks a mil. eilbhe@gmail.com

well that was a conversation killer if ever i heard one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Psycopat wrote:
    WTF!!!!:confused:

I don't have to take this kind of crap from you!

Rofl.

...back in your box, you!

Advertisement