Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing the stage of a licence

Options
  • 12-04-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

i am waiting on a licence since sept or oct last year i would now like to know What stages a application goes through and contact details for each step if possible

Also as an aside is it possible for me to import .22lr ammo in to the country and if so what are the steps involved

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

If I may make a comment on your first query.

Congratulations, you are now a member of a club, the Irish firearms license application club. You are begining a journey that may take 3 to 104 weeks, meet strange and wonderful people. There will be tears of joy and sadness, they will be elation and frustration and an experience that will last you a life time.

Joking aside, it depends on what you are applying for, I'm guessing it's a .22 rifle/pistol, also depends on where you live, the people processing your license application and your tolerence of what ever system you are going through. Shotgun, rifle, air-rifle, pistol, there are so many stories I've heard from people trying to get licenses for different firearms that it proves to me that there is no straight forward uniform application process for any type of firearm. Every case is different which is good in some ways as it it catches out any messers who want to use firearms for anything other than the sport of shooting but then on the other hand you have people who are genuine and want to get into the sport but see more red tape than a target!

If you want an update on your application call your district garda station where the Supernnintendo sits and get as much info from them as possible, as in names, numbers, where and when type of stuff. Getting definite answers is the most important thing so as you can hang people if they try and fob you off. If you have applied for a rifle license last October I'd start making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you see it is only a "broken air rifle "that i tripped over and i all ready have a .22 semi ,slightly more powerful,

where is this "sent away place" i keep hearing about

get in touch with your local cop shop and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I'm still chasing my application going on nearly 6 months.. told it's gone for printing this week.
    They lost my application at one stage and only for my continued chasing off the application I can guarantee that I would still be waiting and the Gardai would not have even know it was lost!!
    According to my Sgt, they can log onto Pulse and see where and who has the license at any time, you should ring your Sgt and see who it's assigned to and start chasing them, don't leave messages just keep ringing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

you will get as far as your Supers secetary,usually a Sgt of some type.And there is where the stalling begins ,depending on what sort of hard nuts they are.I am at the point of it is being issued,but "red tape" is holding it up.Just more bull**** an average law abiding citizen has to put up with.Checked with Mary in the liscensing dept in Phoenix park and they still havent any registration of my application.It is just annoying,so just keep annoying them in return.

• Advertisement

Who is this Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

if possible,ring your district office,i found the garda at the other end of the phone only to glad to help,and yes they had rang me back when i had application probs,the female sgt promptly took my details and and within a short space of time the f/o had contacted me,usually the frontdesk/public counter are bit aprehensive in forwarding documents,my personal experience was 4 months for .22....3 weeks for shotgun....and less than a week for 2nd .22. i had made a formal complaint against the garda dealing with me when my f/o had rang and told me to collect my shotgun license,the garda at front desk refused to issue cert to me,cos i had not received letter from them in post,so i rang district office there and then explaining the grief i had,i was then asked to produce valid form of id,only to be told it was not valid because the address on my driving license didnt correspond with the address the cert was issued,again i rang disrict office,female garda dealt with me personally,and after all the crap i had with them,the address on cert was an old adresss for a old cert,which they never updated on their pulse system,but on good note,my last cert,within a week,f/o told me he didnt bother sending out a letter of notification,and the garda at front desk didnt even ask for proof of id.........some you win,and some ya lose,but voice your frustration at the way things are dealt with regarding your cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

maglite wrote:
    Who is this Mary

Mary[no second name given]Is head of the firearms liscensing for handguns in the Garda Hq Phoenix park.Very pleasent and helpful and is doing a stirling job in running her part of the ship.They have a 24 hr,according to her turnaround now on handgun lics.So if it has been issued by your local Super it should be there for you within 48 hours.If it is not,Your FAO or Super is BSing you,simple as that.

Contact details for MAry? please

just one more question if you use a gun club letter to get the firearm can a garda legal say you can only shoot at that range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

She can be contacted at 01 6662445.

Good luck.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

just one more question if you use a gun club letter to get the firearm can a garda legal say you can only shoot at that range

Not currently, but adding conditions of that nature to a cert is one of the things the proposed firearms act amendments will bring into effect.

So what about comps at other ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Approved Ranges , same system as used in theUK

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Is their such places as 'approoved' Ranges here?

It's another thing the legislation is introducing.

maglite wrote:

There's an unlimited and limited license.

If you are a member of a club and only have permission to shoot there then it's a limited license. As in you can only shoot at that gun club. Any where else you are breaking the law.

Gun club + permission given by at least two farmers to shoot on their land exceeding a certain acrerage = unlimited license.

That's as general as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Keelan wrote:
    Is their such places as 'approoved' Ranges here?
    It's to be introduced in the Criminal Justice Bill, but ranges are already being inspected and approved. WTSC last week, and a few other ranges already.

There's an unlimited and limited license.

If you are a member of a club and only have permission to shoot there then it's a limited license. As in you can only shoot at that gun club. Any where else you are breaking the law.

Gun club + permission given by at least two farmers to shoot on their land exceeding a certain acrerage = unlimited license.

That's as general as you can get.

Unfortunately that's pretty much 100% wrong.
    Limited/unlimited applies to licences for shotguns. A limited licence is for farming use, vermin only.
    FIREARMS ACT, 1964 SECTION 12

1964 1 12

Limited use of shot-gun.

12.—(1) Where the firearm described in a firearm certificate is a shot-gun, the certificate may be expressed, and in such case shall operate, to authorise the use of the gun only for killing animals or birds other than game by the person to whom the certificate is granted either (as may be expressed in the certificate)—

(a) on land occupied by him, or

(b) on land occupied by another person.

(2) A certificate in the form referred to in subsection (1) of this section (in this section referred to as a limited certificate) relating to land occupied by a person other than the person to whom the certificate is granted shall not be granted unless the occupier of the land has given the applicant for the certificate a nomination in writing for holding the certificate.

(3) A limited certificate relating to any land shall not be granted in respect of any period if there is already in force in respect of that period a limited certificate relating to that land.

(4) A limited certificate shall not be granted unless the whole of the land to which it would relate is occupied by the same person.

(5) Where a nomination referred to in subsection (2) of this section is revoked, the limited certificate to which it related shall not, if it is then in force, be capable of being renewed.

Apologies and thank you for the correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Sparks wrote:
    It's to be introduced in the Criminal Justice Bill, but ranges are already being inspected and approved. WTSC last week, and a few other ranges already.

Whats the WTSC?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club Keelan, just north of Navan. Active in air rifle, air pistol and just started in smallbore rifle last weekend (must write that up and post it if I haven't already).

Advertisement