Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally BB Outside Killarney Town

Options
  • 12-04-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Just did a line test after recent upgrades and passed... what a day... been waiting for this for 4 years...

Unfortunately there is not much competition at the moment down there as Smart have said they will not be offering service at that exchange until next year at the earliest..

Still great day... !!

-Alan

For others who may be interested this is the coolcaslough/lissivigeen area on the road to cork (approx 4 miles outside killarney town)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

congratulations .... would be great if they moved a bit more west from Killorglin :) oh well ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

aloleary wrote:
    For others who may be interested this is the coolcaslough/lissivigeen area on the road to cork (approx 4 miles outside killarney town)
    dude , 4 miles would be a world record line length in this country .

Even with the new 'amber' test it should only go 3 miles (5km) with base packages (1 or 2mbit max and no 3 4 or 5mbits on offer )

Could you do me a favour .

1. Bosh your number into the dsl line checker on this page

http://www.smarttelecom.ie

does it say you are on the Killarney exchange or another (closer one) maybe .

2. If on another exchange how far away is it . ???

3. If REALLY on Killarney , what packages are on offer to you if you Bosh your number into this DIFFERENT line checker here

http://www.netsource.ie/prequal.asp

I would love to hear you are passing 4 miles from the exchange but I need confirmations

Thanks .....and enjoy.

Well whilst waiting for aloleary to reply, i did try a couple of numbers around the lissivigeen area and it appears that yes they are connected to 'killarney' exchange, although it is hit or miss with regards whether you pass the prequal test or not...

Be interested to find out more from the original poster

and I fully expect the dude to say that the laws of physics are different in Kerry .....ie Better than Anywhere else :p .

Would this area be all of 4 miles from the Killarney exchange following the road that is. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

yup:

"number <REMOVED> is serviced by the KILLARNEY exchange."

The house is about 4 miles out on road... a lot closer in terms of crow flying but AFAIK phone cables just follow the road

Anyways did a line test independently with Eircom and ESAT/BT both passed

Was getting to the stage of organising locals to get wireless etc and everything but this simplifies matters greatly...

Brother is franctically trying to sign up and get sorted now so will respond with progress...

Any chance they slotted in ADSL2 cards in for the extra mileage ? ;-)

• Advertisement

Sorry the netsource output is the following:

Number Last Test Date Result
    064 <REMOVED> 20060317 Your Line Is Passing For The Following Netsource Services:
    Origin
    Origin Plus
    Office@Home

Just looking at going with ESAT 3Mb/384k Incl. phone call option at the moment

Be the hokey, they are passing you for 3Mbits at 4 miles . Are you sure you are not on a fibre subexchange ???? What is your analogue modem connect speed typically ?????

I would warn you that these ones you pass for are all RADSL 'minimum 256k' and 'maximum guaranteed 256k' packages and that eircom would be 'compliant' with their T&C's if they sold you a 3Mbit, took the money, and held you to the contract even if you only got 256k .

3Mbits at 4 miles, holy God Miley wha ????????

But enjoy ....and I mean that :D

Will its broadband for my parents... and brother... so been trying to sort it for ages...

Hopefully its not going to be hobbled at such a low rate as 256 but we'll see again will keep yis posted...

Still they are miles away from what I have up here... Magnet @ 8mb up/ 8mb down thanks to a home with an actual fibre connection :D So no need for yer bogger talk :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and I fully expect the dude to say that the laws of physics are different in Kerry .....ie Better than Anywhere else :p .

Would this area be all of 4 miles from the Killarney exchange following the road that is. ???

We had a call from my local politician to repeal the laws of physics see here well that is how one guy interpreted some words in post # 14 on this thread

I wouldn't really say that lissivigeen is 4 miles from the Killarney Eircom Exchange long side the Dunnes Stores Car Park, Well lissivigeen school isn't anyway, which is getting all rebuilt, I wonder would that have anything to do with it? Of course if you live out the Rathmore road then you would be a fair ways out. Anyway didn't Eircom set a target to get full broadband roll-out by the end of 2007 or was it only 90% ?

Congrats on the Broadband fella, passed by there yesterday and was wondering I wonder are they too far out for it to work :eek: Now if they would extend it to Kilgarvan I'd be right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SB, the netsourse checker will always have the 3 Mb package available for those on the Amber programme. Even before it was restarted, I tried a number in the industrial estate in town that passed for the first three packages and that was it.

I could be wrong though. I haven't seen every case but I haven't seen just 1 Mb being offered yet and I've tried a few borderline numbers. Methinks Netsource have made a bit of a glitch.

• Advertisement

The OP was getting offered 3Mbits by BT as well .

Interesting that... I still don't believe that 3 Mbit vanilla ADSL connections can work over those borderline lines. Mabye they have a good reason for including the 3 Mbit connections?:confused:

3mbits is the most expensive package out there with guaranteed 256k speeds. the 4Mbit package is guaranteed to work at minimum 1mbit .

as the crow flies it isn't 4 miles .... but i can't remember if the phone cables are underground or via poles ..i'm driving past there later will have to have a look :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    3mbits is the most expensive package out there with guaranteed 256k speeds. the 4Mbit package is guaranteed to work at minimum 1mbit .
    Ahhh greeds explains it. Those customers can basically whistle for their money when they realise they arent getting a connection close to 3 Mbit? Of course, I'm sure ComReg would really care that eircom only guarantee 1/12 the speed of a package that costs €54.99...:rolleyes:

Just an update ...

Brother has broadband all sorted there now .. and its pretty savage too
    (probably because there is absolutly no contention at the moment)

result

-Alan

Advertisement