Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA player of the Year

• 12-04-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Main Nominee's:
    Joe Cole (Chelsea)
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    Wayne Rooney (Man United)
    John Terry (Chelsea)

Young Player:
    Darren Bent (Charlton)
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Anton Ferdinand (West Ham)
    Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United)

It must have been a poor season as those lists are brutal. Very few players there have done enough to be voted the best player in the league for an entire season. I'd actually have the 3 Chelsea players as the bottom 3 of my list. Joe Cole has been good but ffs, Duffer played like that for seasons and was never nominated.

Player of the year? 86 votes

Joe Cole (Chelsea)
    0%
    5%
    WhiteWashMansmackbunnybabyjesus_thats_greJivin TurkeyNotWormBoy 5 votes
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    13%
    Vokesmike65TuskyJohnny_the_foxsuper_furryrobz150zAbbocruiserweightChardee MacDennisSpider_Baby!Garret5starpool 12 votes
    Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    2%
    Roarcounty 2 votes
    27%
    gandalfPaladinThanx 4 The FishSeanehkaimeraLafortezzaLizardKingjankPacificodirkey_wynnedenachomanPlayboyel rabitosRoddy23[Jackass]Necronomiconemc2Lemlinciaran76Royale with Cheese 24 votes
    John Terry (Chelsea)
    43%
    RasTaMossy MonkyopMossinkrattapopovFighting IrishPigman IIquarrymanThe MuppetgsandIagoDeviousErinGoBrathChris P Duck_blank_bestyArdentBrian017Culchieapplehunter 37 votes
    Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    6%
    The Clown MangrowlerDavey DeviliregkOTliddycasanova_kid 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

eirebhoy wrote:
    Main Nominee's:
    It must have been a poor season as those lists are brutal. Very few players there have done enough to be voted the best player in the league for an entire season. I'd actually have the 3 Chelsea players as the bottom 3 of my list.
    I'd agree.

I'd have to vote for Rooney as the Main Nominee and Darren Bent should shade the young player.

What will actually probably happen is that Terry will get the biggie and Rooney the YP award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Id say Terry will win, he has been the most consistant on that list.
    Fabregas, possibly Rooney, for the Young player award.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fabregas has only really started performing in the last couple of months so I think it would be unfair to give it to him. Darren Bent has been fantastic for Charlton and deserves the award.

Gary Breen for the main award purely for his great gaelic football block :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DaBreno wrote:
    Fabregas, possibly Rooney, for the Young player award.

Fabregas hasn't done enough consistently in the Premiership to merit the YP award.

Of the above list, I would go with Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney for the awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd go for Henry and Bent. Rooney has been good but Bent has forced his way into the England squad and scored important goals for Charlton all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i would have thought jamie carragher was worth a nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i would have thought jamie carragher was worth a nomination.
    Definatley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm not a great year for individual performances. If Rooney comes 1st or 2nd in the proper award then I think he'll be overlooked for young player of the year. I really don't know who I'd go with. Maybe Henry and Rooney. I would have liked to have seen Jens Lehmann in the player of the year shortlist but I guess everyone hates him so not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Terry has been great in fairness.
    Rooney has had his share of poor games and easy misses.
    Gerard has been by far the most influential midfielder in the premiership bar none (quoting Fergie here).

Henry is without a doubt the best footballer in the premiership. Lazy yes, but probably the best striker in the world.

Its between Terry, Gerard and Henry, and as a Liverpool fan Im being unbiased when I say Henry deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

John Terry (Chelsea)
    id say rooney for the main and fabregas for the young player.
    what is gary breen doing in that poll and why is he in the lead:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    I have to go with Stevie

Hate liverpool and all but he has carried that team so many times. Brilliant

I think terry can be slightly over-rated sometimes. Best player in the league he is not, worthy of the nomination i suppose

Rooney, much as i love him, can have poor games where he is anonymous. but he should win young player of the year.

Joe Cole - dont see the fuss. watch him when the ball comes to him at the edge of the box, he will always hammer a shot in irregardless of whether there is a man 2ft in front of him. i cant remember the figure but the percentage of goals he has scored that have been deflected is staggering. Talented -yes, but needs a bit more discipline in his play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Breener is storming out in front.

All together now...

"We all dream of a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens! And number one is Gary Breen, number two is..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    Breen? Is Atari Jaguar banned or something?!

re Carragher, it is proberly a source or both annoyance and pride that he does'nt get nominated. He should be but is so consistant and unfussy he just does'nt get noticed -Cara is the anti-star player and I like that.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Henry all the way for me, best forward in the prem by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Gary Breen is winning

You'd know this was an irish message board

Gary Breen is winning

You'd know this was an irish message board
    The .ie at the end of it should have given it away too.

I think there may be some sarcasm involved too fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

John Terry (Chelsea)
    The .ie at the end of it should have given it away too.

I think there may be some sarcasm involved too fighting.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Henry for the main one

Bent for the Young player

Thought pedersen might have gotten a look in for the main one instead of one of the chelsea heads, but oh well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Rooney for the main
    Toss up between Ferdinand and Bent for young

Pederson should be there alright
    If the season started at Christmas Fabregas would have walked away with it, he's been class act this year alone. Rio's bro has been v consistent, and I think Rooney just shades the pfa award over Thierry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd have to say Henry for the main. He's been consitent in an inconsistent team.
    Out of the Chelsea boys, Joe Cole is the most improved for sure. But while the 3 of them have been good, I don't think I'd name any of them player of the year.
    For the young award, I'd go for Darren Bent. Great debut season. To get into double figures playing for a Jekyll/Hyde team like Charlton is a great achievement, and to force your way into national team reckoning. Fabregas has really come into his own in recent months, but hasn't been consistent all season. 11 defeats for Arsenal this season, a lot of them away from home where their midfield has been out-battled and out-fought physically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Wayne Rooney for the main award
    Darren Bent for the young player award

Henry for the main one

Bent for the Young player

Thought pedersen might have gotten a look in for the main one instead of one of the chelsea heads, but oh well :)
    Trilla wrote:
    Rooney for the main
    Toss up between Ferdinand and Bent for young

Pederson should be there alright
    If the season started at Christmas Fabregas would have walked away with it, he's been class act this year alone. Rio's bro has been v consistent, and I think Rooney just shades the pfa award over Thierry

Pedersen is not there for two reasons:

1. He's not English
    2. He plays for Blackburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    Eventhough John Terry hasn't had a great season by his standards he's still by far the best player in the premier leeague this year. The only reason why Chelsea are top of the league.

Eventhough John Terry hasn't had a great season by his standards he's still by far the best player in the premier leeague this year. The only reason why Chelsea are top of the league.

I'm not quite sure about that. Chelsea have a range of individuals who have played their part this season: Lampard, Cole, Gallas, Cech and Drogba to name a few.

Gallas for me is their unsung hero. The English press rave on about Terry because he's English but Gallas is a superb defender who can play in pretty much any position in defence, and has done for Chelsea this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I voted for Cole because I think he has excelled himself this year. Henry has been outstanding too, but unfortunately (or not if you're an Arsenal fan) he has set his own standards.

I'd go for Bent for Young Player because again, he has played out of his skin. I wouldn't give it to Rooney because I feel even already he is way above this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney won't win an award because he votes will have been split between player and young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Is it this or the Football Writer's award that the voting takes place mainly in the first half of the season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Henry and Bent TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Rooney for the big one.

Bent for the youth one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    Id agree with a lot of comments. Its been an average season as a whole if you ask me and that list typifies it. Nobody on this list has really stood out and said look at me im the best.

Cole: good season but not what I'd call best in the prem standard.
    Gerrard: good enough I suppose but hasn't really lit up the place.
    Lampard: sheer quality up until the end of Jan. looks wrecked now though!
    Henry: has looked lazy and uninterested most of the time, certainly against the big clubs anyway save Juve.
    Rooney: still far to inconsistent for me to be classed best in the prem.
    Terry: For me the winner. the best player in the prem? possibly. the most consisten? without a doubt. only thing is defenders don't get enough recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Gary Breen for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    none of the above really deserve it,theres not one player that stood out this season so i could`nt care less who wins it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It is an absolute joke that Rooney is there in front of Van Nist. An absolute joke.

I agree, and an even bigger joke that he is topping this poll despite not performing on a par with either van Nist or Henry, seems alot of Man U fans are voting for their team rather than the most deserving of the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    seems alot of Man U fans are voting for their team rather than the most deserving of the award.

would you expect anything else:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    Well thats the main problem with things like this. Fans will be biased against their own players. I think its fair to say that most liverpool fans will go for Gerrard without giving a thought to the others and likewise for other fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I agree, and an even bigger joke that he is topping this poll despite not performing on a par with either van Nist or Henry, seems alot of Man U fans are voting for their team rather than the most deserving of the award.

I would say the reason rooney is topping this poll is because all the non man U heads are voting for Gary Breen

iregk wrote:
    Well thats the main problem with things like this. Fans will be biased against their own players. I think its fair to say that most liverpool fans will go for Gerrard without giving a thought to the others and likewise for other fans.

That's why its decided by the players and managers AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

PHB wrote:
    It is an absolute joke that Rooney is there in front of Van Nist. An absolute joke.

Oh cop on would you, and you a mod as well. Ruud has looked like the over rated striker everyone else knows he is this season, cant head a ball for starters, lethal from 6 yards, whoopy do ! Saha has more to offer than him !

Rooney should get it on merit. How Toure wasn't nominated is beyond me, and how Ronaldo was ???? He's worthy of the Worst Free Kick Taker in the Premiership Award :)

I would say the reason rooney is topping this poll is because all the non man U heads are voting for Gary Breen
    Thats it in a nutshell.

Polls like this one on boards.ie are never going to be accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

BolBill wrote:
    Oh cop on would you, and you a mod as well.
    Yeah PHB, everyone knows mods can't have opinions, you should have known better. ;)

I've just noticed that Lampard hasn't gotten a single vote!

Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    Lemlin wrote:
    That's why its decided by the players and managers AFAIK.

Thats true, i was talking about this poll however not the actual award!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I voted for Henry, so I for one put club bias aside. Terry isn't even Chelsea's best defender in my opinion, and is so shielded by Crabelele that he hasn't as much as other defenders to do. Lampard has faded. Rooney hasn't been consistently great all year. Cole? Give me a break.

What I don't get is how some people are putting Rooney to win the main one, but come second in the young one, behind Bent. That doesn't make any logical sense at all. If you are good enough to be Player of the Year - you're player of the year. In other words, you're voted the best player of the year, regardless of age.

How then would someone else be deserving of Young Player of the year, ahead of the player of the year. It makes no sense whatsoever!! If Bent were better than Rooney in the Young Player, he'd have been nominated alongside him in the Player category!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

BolBill wrote:
    Oh cop on would you, and you a mod as well. Ruud has looked like the over rated striker everyone else knows he is this season, cant head a ball for starters, lethal from 6 yards, whoopy do ! Saha has more to offer than him !
    That is classic. Most overrated striker, still 2nd top scorer in the Prem this year, despite not playing too much recently, and not exactly having the most creative midfield behind him. He's also as far as I know the 2nd top scorer in the CL of all time. Now that's overrated.

Record for Utd:

Starts 197
    Subs 18
    Goals 150

So 150 goals in 215 games. A goal every 1.43333 games. In the top competitions.

Oh Lord our kingdom for a Peter Crouch. (incidentally not a slight on Liverpool, nor Crouch, just using a player a lot of people state is underrated.)

Ruud Van Nistelrooy has more Fantasy Football points than any other Premiership player this season bar Lampard - FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Hobart wrote:
    I'd agree.

I'd have to vote for Rooney as the Main Nominee and Darren Bent should shade the young player.

What will actually probably happen is that Terry will get the biggie and Rooney the YP award.

And that's just to have two English players win it so they can say "Look how great we are. No forgeigners won it this year"

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Garret wrote:
    I have to go with Stevie

Hate liverpool and all but he has carried that team so many times. Brilliant

I think terry can be slightly over-rated sometimes. Best player in the league he is not, worthy of the nomination i suppose

Rooney, much as i love him, can have poor games where he is anonymous. but he should win young player of the year.

Joe Cole - dont see the fuss. watch him when the ball comes to him at the edge of the box, he will always hammer a shot in irregardless of whether there is a man 2ft in front of him. i cant remember the figure but the percentage of goals he has scored that have been deflected is staggering. Talented -yes, but needs a bit more discipline in his play.

To be honest I don't see a point in saying this. not about an individual player anyway. It applies to every single player on the planet so it's a non-starter really. I've seen the mighty Gerrard in games that have totally passed him by. Same goes for Lampard. And the rest

John Terry (Chelsea)
    BolBill wrote:

Rooney should get it on merit. How Toure wasn't nominated is beyond me, and how Ronaldo was ???? He's worthy of the Worst Free Kick Taker in the Premiership Award :)

To be honest I think this a tad unfair. He had to deal with both his father dying and a rape allegation which woudl effect anyone. His form did dip. As does the majority of players at some stage or other ina season. But what impressed me was Ferguson asked him to give more and to score more and immedaitely he got four in two games. This is also his highest scoring season. And last I knew he had 10+ goals which isn't a bad return for a midfielder. And he's still young. Give him a break.

Though on the point of free-kicks...I'd put crossing in with that. I don't understand it really. It's as if he's gone backwards in abiity with it. When he first joined his crossing was brilliant, with either foot too. It's like he's lost confidence in it and so the technique has gone.

I would have put Steven Davis in the youth category. He has stuck out like a sore thumb in an average Villa side, and has chipped in with his fair share of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I would have put Steven Davis in the youth category. He has stuck out like a sore thumb in an average Villa side, and has chipped in with his fair share of goals.

Has lacked consistancy all season, great one week and average the next. hasnt been good in the last 2 months but alot of that could be the team that is surrounding him.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement