Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA player of the Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Stuart Downing from Middlesbrough, anyone?
    Haven't seen much of him but he impressed when I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Stuart Downing from Middlesbrough, anyone?
    Haven't seen much of him but he impressed when I did

Out too long with injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wayne Rooney (Man United)
    Well I for one put club allegiances aside for this one. Henry for me all the way, he is a legend and the premiership is lucky to have such a player in it. Injured for such a large portion of the season and still comes back and does the biz at the highest level in the CL and also in the premiership week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

That is classic. Most overrated striker, still 2nd top scorer in the Prem this year, despite not playing too much recently, and not exactly having the most creative midfield behind him. He's also as far as I know the 2nd top scorer in the CL of all time. Now that's overrated.

Record for Utd:

Starts 197
    Subs 18
    Goals 150

So 150 goals in 215 games. A goal every 1.43333 games. In the top competitions.

Oh Lord our kingdom for a Peter Crouch. (incidentally not a slight on Liverpool, nor Crouch, just using a player a lot of people state is underrated.)

Yeah mate "as far as you know" that says it all, hes THIRD highest scorer actually but sure you're obviously a Man U fan and the World knows ye know nothing about football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

BolBill wrote:
    Yeah mate "as far as you know" that says it all, hes THIRD highest scorer actually but sure you're obviously a Man U fan and the World knows ye know nothing about football :)
    My apologies. He was 2nd last I checked, behind Raul. Who is now ahead of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gary Breen (Sunderland)
    BolBill wrote:

Oh for christ sake he made a mistake by 1 place. So i take it if he was 2nd top he would be class but as it stands he is a mere 3rd place and there for not worth a penny of the money they pay him...

iregk wrote:
    Oh for christ sake he made a mistake by 1 place. So i take it if he was 2nd top he would be class but as it stands he is a mere 3rd place and there for not worth a penny of the money they pay him...
    Obviously not. 2nd best would be a good player. 3rd - overrated obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My apologies. He was 2nd last I checked, behind Raul. Who is now ahead of him?
    Shevchenko. But it's not worth your while argueing with BolBill when he just says things like:
    BolBill wrote:
    but sure you're obviously a Man U fan and the World knows ye know nothing about football

Shevchenko. But it's not worth your while argueing with BolBill when he just says things like:
    I know. This site http://euro.futbal.org/EC1.scorers.php has Ruud down as joint 2nd, perhaps it hasnt' been updated since most recent matches, but I think it has, since it has Shev down as having 9 goals for this season, as does Uefa.com. But then what do I know, I'm only a Utd fan.

BolBill also says things such as calling G. Neville a muppet, so I doubt there's any anti-Utd thing going on there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gary Breen (Sunderland)

Shevchenko I believe is second in the all time European football top scorers chart (may be wrong here). Thats includes all european football, uefa, cup winners etc... through the ages.

Incidentally he was second in the CL only that recently UEFA took 2 goals off him and classed them as og's so that put him either 1 behind or level with Van Nist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah I'm so anti Man U that I said Rooneys deserves the award on an earlier post ! :rolleyes:

Clever boys ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ruud - This season in the premiership
    Goals - 21
    Asssists - 6 [which doesn't include all the chances he creates for Rooney, who misses them a lot]

Henry - This season in the premiership
    Goals - 22
    Assists - 7

He scores from inside the box? Oh noe, well perhaps he should be more like Rooney, who scores less, but from outside the box?
    Rooney has 14 goals and 11 assists. That's great, i'm very happy with him this year.

Ultiamtely, Ruud has been better this year, and has been the best player in United, and imo, the best player in the premiership this year.
    I'm not voting on this because Ruud isn't included, but after Ruud, Henry would be the best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Rooney - No doubt. I have watched Utd in almost every game and he's nearly always man of the match. Works his bo**ocks off too. No one else on the list was as consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

BolBill wrote:
    Yeah I'm so anti Man U that I said Rooneys deserves the award on an earlier post ! :rolleyes:
    No, maybe because you spout bull**** like:
    BolBill wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    Ruud - This season in the premiership
    Goals - 21
    Asssists - 6 [which doesn't include all the chances he creates for Rooney, who misses them a lot]

Henry - This season in the premiership
    Goals - 22
    Assists - 7

He scores from inside the box? Oh noe, well perhaps he should be more like Rooney, who scores less, but from outside the box?
    Rooney has 14 goals and 11 assists. That's great, i'm very happy with him this year.

Ultiamtely, Ruud has been better this year, and has been the best player in United, and imo, the best player in the premiership this year.
    I'm not voting on this because Ruud isn't included, but after Ruud, Henry would be the best player.

Just an observation: if Ruud is the best player in the PL this season, why has he not been starting ahead of Saha for the past few games?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Henry.

As been said, above and beyond once again this season despite being injured.

How anybody could say without bias that Rvn is better I don't know...even the stats PHB put up proved otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because one player doesn't win a league.
    That's why Arsenal aren't top despite the class of Henry.

Fergie believes that 4 strikers are requird to challenge on all 4 fronts, and Saha needs games to become a top class striker that can be benefical to United. That's why Fergie playd Saha ahead of Ruud, and once Saha got into form, it's not like he could drop him without destroying his confidence.
    How anybody could say without bias that Rvn is better I don't know...even the stats PHB put up proved otherwise.

Simply put, despite the extra goal and assist, which wouldn't be the case if Ruud had continued playing, throughout the entire season Ruud has been a top player for United. Henry has come to form of late, but his late form is the reason Arsenal aren't in 4th position this year.
    United are in 2nd place, with no midfield, because of Ruud's consistancy.

I don't care if Henry scores 3 against villa, I want to win every game.
    Ruud has given United more points than Henry has Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    Simply put, despite the extra goal and assist, which wouldn't be the case if Ruud had continued playing, throughout the entire season Ruud has been a top player for United. Henry has come to form of late, but his late form is the reason Arsenal aren't in 4th position this year.
    United are in 2nd place, with no midfield, because of Ruud's consistancy.

I don't care if Henry scores 3 against villa, I want to win every game.
    Ruud has given United more points than Henry has Arsenal.

I wouldn't accept your point about Henry only being ahead because Ruud hasn't been starting. Henry only played once for Arsenal in the League from the 24th August to the 29th October due to injury. That's a good two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

John Terry (Chelsea)
    Rooney for the main one and Bent for the young player.

I would say that Bent is a definite for the young player award and the main one will be between Rooney and Henry.

Frank Lampard is the most overrated player in England at the moment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't even think we'll have to watch the awards ceremony to find out the winner. Gerrard is currently at 2/5 on Betfair to win the award. The votes were cast in January so when the odds are as low as that its an absolute certainty that Gerrard will win the award. Rooney's even lower odds for young player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ridiculous to have the votes so early in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
    Frank Lampard is the most overrated player in England at the moment

Nah. Rio. ;)

As regards the nominations, I'm voting for Joe Cole for the main one and Aaron Lennon (although had Downing played more... I dunno) for the young one.

Mainly because they are the most improved players of those lists. Rooney is a close second on both fronts (much as I dislike the not-so-little b*st*rd). Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Henry; they're all doing what they do very very well, but they haven't progressed (I know, how do you progress when you're on top of your game) enough to put their excellence ahead of Lennon and Cole.

Cole's game has improved so much this year, as compared with last year. He's cemented his place as England's left winger and a regular for Chelsea. He does have a tendency to shoot, but when he crosses, its a good ball, his shooting (particularly outside the box) has gotten much much better and he can skin players with relative ease.

Likewise for Lennon who has been a revelation at Spurs this season. His pace is scary, good touch, plays well with his team mates, good crosses, and gets back as well. Should be a great player in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

John Terry (Chelsea)
    rooney all the way best player in the premiership by far this season. second place would go to john terry chelsea's rock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabregas has really come into his own in recent months, but hasn't been consistent all season. 11 defeats for Arsenal this season, a lot of them away from home where their midfield has been out-battled and out-fought physically.
    Most of the time Fabregas was the best Arsenal midfielder out there, it's only recently that the likes of Ljungberg, Gilberto, Pires and Hleb have decided to start playing.

Henry & Rooney respectively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ruud better then Henry... yea right.

I think Rooney will get both for some reason if that can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rooney wont get both. Darren Bent should get the young player award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Henry is the best followed by Rooney IMO. I think people here are voting for rooney over henry because rooney is more likeable. Henry, being French, seems a bit arogant. Both class acts, but henry shades it.

Advertisement