Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend solid timber stairs

Options
  • 12-04-2006 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am in the process of sending out tenders for quotes to build 2 storey house in Mayo now that we have planning approval and land purchased.

I'm pondering the fittings & finishings now in the house and one area where I think it might be nice to spend extra amount on would be on a high quality solid timber staircase. I'm probably not great on knowing which timbers/stains complement each other and I'd be interested to hear if anyone put extra investment in their stairs in their house build project.

In our current (rented) house the stairs are open stairs made in red deal with a shiny wood stain. They are quite nice but I'm wondering if we could do something a bit more classy in the new house build. Just in terms of the other woods in the hallway, I'm thinking along lines of ash or white oak engineered/semi-solid flooring and stained red deal doors/skirting/architraves on most of the internal doors, plain or stained glass on the door leading to the dining room. I'm saving by not putting in full solid wood flooring and by using red deal for doors rather than something way more expensive (eg, white oak solid doors or laminated oak doors). I'd like to put in stairs that put some class (for want of a better word) on the hallway. Is the idea barmy ?
    Might there be a clash between the red deal and potentially more expensive hardwood/stain used on a high spec staircase? In other words am I wasting my time unless I put in timber of a similar quality/price into internal doors as the stairs ?

Nice wooden stair recommendations?

thanks

~ipl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Do a search for stirs her on this thread as there was quite a lenghty thread started on this topic a short time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I've always like Ash stairs. I have a photo of a nice one but don't seem to have it on my laptop I'll have a look at home at the weekend The other one I like is red oak which i haven't seen many of Seen a good few in white oak I usually tend to go for stuff that's not all that popular

Advertisement