Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy 1.8 P4 Overclock (3ghz), continued

Options
  • 12-04-2006 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

you may remember this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=315210&highlight=crazy+overclock

Basically, I got a P4 1.8 for €20 and got it to run @ 2.7 stable on air @ 1.5 Vcore. The board was a crappy one (Gigabyte, microATX) with seemingly no provision for overclocking.

A 50% overclock wasnt enough, I wanted more!

So I bought and XP120 and an ASRock board, it was a flop, no dividers and no provision for upping vcore.

Then I tried an MSI, not much better results with that.

So, today in the post I got a IC7.

Im running (167x4, 3006Mhz) with 1.8V Vcore. Sucidial Vcore, but the temps arent going above 54c on full load, mostly around 50-52 with prime95 running.

Im getting about 5mins on prime95 with the above before it craps out, should I add more juice?

Im aweful tempted!

Should I add more Vcore? 15 votes

YES! YES! YES!, push that SOB!
    0% 0 votes
    Im thinking no! Fire risk comes to mind!
    86% 13 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    13% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you dont care about the chhip go ahead, but even at 1.8volts its not going to last any long amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You're getting close to the edge. Go forward only if you don't mind falling off... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

LOL, I went as high at the board would go (1.875v) at 170FSB and cant it prime for longer than 10mins.

Ah well, im still surprised I havent totally fried the chip.

Primed for 40mins with no issues at 167, 1.8V which is 3.0Ghz. Removed the cpu fan to see what temp it would crap out at, 66Deg was the sweet spot.

So im back at 167, with a lower vcore. I think 167 is the most it will go, just need to find the minimum voltage now and see how long it lasts.

Advertisement