Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless with new NTL Cable broadband connection

• 12-04-2006 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi All,

Appologies if this question has been answered previously. NTL are installing a new broadband connection for me and i'd like to use my 802.11 wireless cards in PC and laptop. Can i get a wireless cable router? If so, which model should i be looking at? has anyone done this before? Would it be simpler to get a wireless bridge or router to just connect to the ethernet port on the cable router they are sending?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Lots of people on here are using a wireless router with their ntl connection in fact NTL are giving a free Netgear wireless router now with the modem - although it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to whether you will get one or not - if you cannot get a wireless router off them - the linksys wrt54g seems pretty popular on here and friends of mine are using a netgear wgt624 very successfully.

Best advice is to make sure you do what you can to get the wireless router off NTL and save yourself the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

great stuff, thanks dub45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

One of the best ways to get the wireless router is to have your PC as far away from your cable point as possible. Then tend to give you one then. So if cable point is in the TV room downstairs at the back, put the PC in the front bedroom upstairs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shavoh

irlrobins, do you think I should mention where my PC is located before or just when the NTL guy arrives.
    My PC is in the attic and Cable is in the sitting room.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

When he arrives should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 shavoh

Great. Thanks!!

Advertisement