Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Weekends opening hours (Library)

Options
  • 12-04-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey I cant get through to a human when I ring the library to find out the opening hours this weekend! Anyone know what the opening hours are for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Easter 2006:

Closed 14th - 17th April Inclusive.

The Reading Room in the lower foor of the Restaurant will be open Friday 14th, Saturday 15th and Monday 17th April from 12.00 - 20.00.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Library's closed from Thursday to Tuesday. There is study downstairs in the restaurant from 12pm-8pm on Friday, Saturday and Monday.

Edit: Oh, well isn't that just peachy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Am I the only one that thinks that is a load of balls?

joejoem wrote:
    Am I the only one that thinks that is a load of balls?

Well in fairness if you worked in the library would you be willing to come in on those days? I know I wouldn't. They staff are entiteld to their holidays too.

Its not like we're being left with absolutely nothing though. I know the restaurant isn't ideal but its better than nothing.

Well in fairness if you worked in the library would you be willing to come in on those days? I know I wouldn't. They staff are entiteld to their holidays too.

Its not like we're being left with absolutely nothing though. I know the restaurant isn't ideal but its better than nothing.

Its access to the books I need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Anybody know if the arts block is open over the weekend? The restaurant is useless for me because I need internet access for research.

If not then *sulk*.

joejoem wrote:
    Its access to the books I need

Well get what you can on Thursday. We all need access to the books. But the staff are still entitled to their 2 days off like the rest of us.

Well get what you can on Thursday. We all need access to the books. But the staff are still entitled to their 2 days off like the rest of us.

Considerring that finals and exams are coming up in 1 month I think it is reasonable to expect that the library would be open. Yes they are entitled to days off but anyone in managment with half a brain would find it easy to orginise a skeleton staff with temp replacements and part timers to fill weekend hours Friday - Monday.

A broad comparison but "staff are entitled to their 2 days off" doesnt cut it for Gardaí or Doctors. Let them have there time off in Lieu.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ha! Two days off. That'd be nice. I haven't had two consecutive days off since god knows when.

joejoem wrote:
    Considerring that finals and exams are coming up in 1 month I think it is reasonable to expect that the library would be open. Yes they are entitled to days off but anyone in managment with half a brain would find it easy to orginise a skeleton staff with temp replacements and part timers to fill weekend hours Friday - Monday.

A broad comparison but "staff are entitled to their 2 days off" doesnt cut it for Gardaí or Doctors. Let them have there time off in Lieu.

A very broad comparison. :rolleyes:

I'm doing my finals too yet I don't expect anything to be open when its a national/public holiday.

*shrugs*

• Advertisement

Ha! Two days off. That'd be nice. I haven't had two consecutive days off since god knows when.

Ditto

Ah yes, but the thing is hulla, you choose to go in and study. That doesn't mean that the college hasn't given you days off from lectures. You have no lectures on Friday or Monday. Choosing to come in to college is different.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I did it myself over the 3 weeks off we had. I'm just saying that you can't bemoan the fact that other people get the public holidays they are entitled to just because you are studying for your exams.

Ah yes, but the thing is hulla, you choose to go in and study. That doesn't mean that the college hasn't given you days off from lectures. You have no lectures on Friday or Monday. Choosing to come in to college is different.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I did it myself over the 3 weeks off we had. I'm just saying that you can't bemoan the fact that other people get the public holidays they are entitled to just because you are studying for your exams.

That is ridiculous! The library is there as a resource to students, to aid and assist them in learning. The idea is that in a students spare time he/she can obtain extra information from other sources. Joe Soap pays thousands in tax every year for the futures education, paying librarians wages, paying for the books, paying for the desks, for the resourse to be available to students throughout the year whenever it may be neccecary. Having it closed a month before finals is ridiculous.

Ok, everyone is entitled to time off, but one persons entitlements does not mean that it needs to close. Time and a half can be paid to a staff member, skeleton staff can be used (the bare min amount), part time staff can be shipped in. Or have a read only day, no books can be logged out, taking away the need for most counter staff.

How is that ridiculous?!

Its closed from the 14th to the 17th. Four days! thats all. FOUR. (one of which is Easter Sunday)

Get the books you need today or tomorrow. There are also plenty of online resources available to you if you have internet access.

Perhaps you should make a complaint to whoever deals with this area or leave a comment in the book in the library and see what their response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Isn't it just closed for a few days, get the books out today and study somewhere else. If your that dedicated it a small hurdle to overcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Library is open until midnight mon-fri and 9pm at weekends. So letting the staff have a few days off is allowed I think. Not ideal, but no unreasonable. Other studying facilities are being made available and you can always get the books out ahead of friday.

Most people take alll or some of Easter off from studying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If you're getting that het up about the library closing for four days, is there a problem? Is it that you're a studyaholic (if so, can you PLEASE give me lessons, I'm unable to study and it's killing me!) or you're in a state of panic because you've done nothing so far? Have you got huge fines stopping you from taking out books? (If so, I suggest using the photocopiers!)

None of the problems you appear to be facing are insurmountable with a smidge of effort on your part. And I mean a smidge. That's even less than a smear, and a smear is next to nothing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

It's the correlation between religious beliefs and the opportunity to get some work done that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ok, so the theory behind the holiday was religious at the root, but friday and monday are public holidays - that's why the staff deserve a break, not because of their religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Friday, or today, is a bank holiday, not a public holiday. It's crap because it means I'll only get paid normal time in work today :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A very broad comparison. :rolleyes:

I'm doing my finals too yet I don't expect anything to be open when its a national/public holiday.

*shrugs*
    Except for the fact Good Friday isn't a public holiday but a bank holiday and so there is no entitlement to a day off. The college decided to give it off to them.

Sangre wrote:
    Except for the fact Good Friday isn't a public holiday but a bank holiday and so there is no entitlement to a day off. The college decided to give it off to them.

Well UCD started out as a Catholic College. Maybe they like to stick with tradition? Who knows?! Either way the library is closed and no amount of whinging on here is going to open it again.

Its four days people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Does anyone know if the lower floor of the restaurant has wireless? I'll need to access blackboard wherever I'm studying from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I agree with joejoem; with less than 4 weeks to finals, having the library close for 4 consecutive days is incredibly inconvenient. All the more so given that I had 3 essays I wanted to have a good crack at over the weekend. That plan's now shot to hell.
    joejoem wrote:
    Yes they are entitled to days off but anyone in managment with half a brain would find it easy to orginise a skeleton staff with temp replacements and part timers to fill weekend hours Friday - Monday
    Bingo.

UCD has astounded me once again...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

elmyra wrote:
    Does anyone know if the lower floor of the restaurant has wireless? I'll need to access blackboard wherever I'm studying from.
    As far as I know it doesnt, unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I couldn't agree more that it's ridiculous to shut the library. I do understand the argument that staff are entitiled to days off etc. but FFS there's students with degree's on the line here and we all know studying at home (esp. when you have a computer! :p ) isn't the best place to be.

A the risk of asking a rather dosey question, do we have lectures monday? I don't think I do but just to be sure!:o

humbert wrote:
    A the risk of asking a rather dosey question, do we have lectures monday? I don't think I do but just to be sure!:o

Nope. We're off until Tuesday as far as I know.

crap really needed to get a problem sheet due for tuesday:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I couldn't agree more that it's ridiculous to shut the library. I do understand the argument that staff are entitiled to days off etc. but FFS there's students with degree's on the line here and we all know studying at home (esp. when you have a computer! :p ) isn't the best place to be.
    Try studying when all of your notes are on the computer, you really don't get anything done

Advertisement