Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Weekends opening hours (Library)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yea but you've a complete set of notes, I wish my notes were on the webternet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

humbert wrote:
    Yea but you've a complete set of notes, I wish my notes were on the webternet:(
    True but the problem is that because they were put up on the web, I didn't bother going to a lot of lectures, which means i'm trying to do the practical stuff, but have to read through the whole courses notes first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fredsbenefit

Its a joke. I have a Stats exam on Thursday that i need to pass in order to pass the year . The problem is that its on a computer program thats only available on the NAL applications thing on the UCD computers. So I can't do anything for it from Friday to Monday. To make matters worse I only found this out on Thursday evening.

The college should have gone for a more balanced approach to opening hours over Easter. First of all, why the place was closed up yesterday I don't know, it was a 'normal' saturday to all intents and purposes. I don't know what justification there was for not having the library open yesterday. Easter Sunday, fair enough have it closed for Easter Sunday and one of Friday or Monday maybe. Its not as if the world comes to a standstill just coz its a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't really ever use the library but I can see how other people are really incovenienced by its closure. I think the library should only have closed on Sunday and Monday as these are the holidays. Saturday was a day like any other Saturday and Friday was not a public holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Monday and Friday are bankholidays. (period)

I think the inferrance that librarians in ucd work from 9am till 12am in one shift is fallacious at best. These are civil servants remember! I'd say some of them would be more than glad to pull extra hours over the bankholiday weekend, after all many of them are foreign students working studying here. And we all know students want money.

I've a feeling some bean counter in ucd figured they could save 20grand by closing for 4 days, no services(ok skeleton crew), librarians, shops and not to mention their freaking electricity bill.

From reading the above posts i think the concensus is that students study better in the library. I DO. I love coming into ucd on a saturday or sunday when its empty and spending 8 hours in the library. i ACTUALLY get work done.

Its just the UCD powers that be being mother humpers again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

From reading the above posts i think the concensus is that students study better in the library. I DO. I love coming into ucd on a saturday or sunday when its empty and spending 8 hours in the library. i ACTUALLY get work done.

Its just the UCD powers that be being mother humpers again.
    Ditto to all of that... Well, 'cept the "8 hours" - that's just barmy.:p

I don't think it's anything to do with money tho - 4 days without the services you describe really doesn't save that much in the long run - and it's definitely not about finding it difficult to find a skeleton crew to man the place over the weekend. As you rightly said, some of em would be happy to pull extra hours and presumably get paid more over the 4 days.

I just think it's sheer bureaucratic laziness:
    "Hey look, we have back to back bank holidays on a friday and a monday"
    "Um... Does that mean we have to be open on Saturday?"
    "..."
    "...Nah, you're right - FOUR DAY WEEKEND, WOOOO!!!!"

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Agreement with all of the above, it's nothing short of sheet laziness that the place seemed to be entirely shut down on Saturday, which was not a holiday in itself. TBH - and I obviously don't know what was or not, because I'm back in Meath, but anywhere that's open any other Sunday should have been open today, because Easter Sunday itself is not a holiday, and you can't claim it on religious grounds because from an ecumenical point of view, you don't celebrate ANYTHING on Easter Sunday that you don't celebrate any other Sunday of the year (that being why an Easter Sunday Mass is no more elaborate or anything than any other Sunday Mass).

Taking the proverbial urine. That's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Its a joke. I have a Stats exam on Thursday that i need to pass in order to pass the year . The problem is that its on a computer program thats only available on the NAL applications thing on the UCD computers. So I can't do anything for it from Friday to Monday. To make matters worse I only found this out on Thursday evening.

The college should have gone for a more balanced approach to opening hours over Easter. First of all, why the place was closed up yesterday I don't know, it was a 'normal' saturday to all intents and purposes. I don't know what justification there was for not having the library open yesterday. Easter Sunday, fair enough have it closed for Easter Sunday and one of Friday or Monday maybe. Its not as if the world comes to a standstill just coz its a bank holiday.

i know this is feck all help to you now, but the arts block was open 10.30-6 on saturday, you could've used the computers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I went in to the restaurant yesterday- about 30 people standing outside at twelve waiting to go in and no sign of anyone to open it. Eventually opened going for half past after a guy and girl went to get somebody.

I'm surprised it was open at all, or was it open in lieu of the library...

• Advertisement

humbert wrote:
    I'm surprised it was open at all, or was it open in lieu of the library...

in lieu m'dear, and twas like having peas in lieu of chocolate, not freakin' good enough. *mutters to self*

Ah, not so good but just think how much more you'll appreciate the library today!

humbert wrote:
    Ah, not so good but just think how much more you'll appreciate the library today!

*hugs beautiful desk*.................*notes stares of other library users*

ah, it's good to be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

elmyra wrote:
    *hugs beautiful desk*.................*notes stares of other library users*

ah, it's good to be back.
    Oh, you big, big freak.

Let the record show that I'm disgusted and nauseated by elmyra's diligence.

SebtheBum wrote:
    Oh, you big, big freak.

Let the record show that I'm disgusted and nauseated by elmyra's diligence.

Hehe, it's not diligence, it's an addiction to wireless and the comfy seats in the laptop area, I never actually get any real study done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

elmyra wrote:
    Hehe, it's not diligence, it's an addiction to wireless and the comfy seats in the laptop area, I never actually get any real study done! :)

Y'see my problem in a nutshell. I live down the road from UCD and my house doesn't have internet (poxy student-type accomodation), so I'm in UCD a LOT. But I spend most of my time ar**ing around, and my housemates all think I'm really diligent! :rolleyes:

Hermione* wrote:
    Y'see my problem in a nutshell. I live down the road from UCD and my house doesn't have internet (poxy student-type accomodation), so I'm in UCD a LOT. But I spend most of my time ar**ing around, and my housemates all think I'm really diligent! :rolleyes:

You are ME. Exact same situation*

*except for the part where I'm getting wireless at my crappy student accom this week *does happy dance*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

elmyra wrote:
    my crappy student accom
    don't u live at home???

irlrobins wrote:
    don't u live at home???

Um....no. I live in Dundrum.

oh right. got it my head u commuted in from wicklow every day. But remember u mentioning dundrum now.... sry!

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    oh right. got it my head u commuted in from wicklow every day. But remember u mentioning dundrum now.... sry!

np!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

elmyra wrote:
    You are ME. Exact same situation*

*except for the part where I'm getting wireless at my crappy student accom this week *does happy dance*

I'm so green!

Hermione* wrote:
    I'm so green!

you could be ungreen for 18.95 a month always on wireless. *hearts ripwave*.

you're getting ripwave??? Ha ha ha!!

Even odds it won't go any faster than a dial up modem.

irlrobins wrote:
    you're getting ripwave??? Ha ha ha!!

Even odds it won't go any faster than a dial up modem.
    Good old Robin... says what we're all thinking...

Good old Robin... says what we're all thinking...

EXPLAIN.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Errr, go look at the broadband forum and see how many poeple complain about it.

Isn't Ripwave so slow that phoning someone up and asking them to read the page would be quicker?

elmyra wrote:
    EXPLAIN.........
    Ripwave is shit. End of.
    (Want more details?)

• Advertisement

Isn't Ripwave so slow that phoning someone up and asking them to read the page would be quicker?
    Yep :p

Advertisement