Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Penalty points system.. Save lives? or Create Revenue??

Options
  • 12-04-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Well i was optimistic that when these new points were announced that it would be used wisely by cops and not overkill!!

well i have been driving for 10 years and never had any offences.. but only 5 days after they annonced the new points i have been issued 2 points for overtakeing on a continous white line...

now here is the thing....

i was on my way home from a meal with my girlfriend in the car.. we were in a 60k zone and the car in front was doing 40k.. with about 7 people jammed into it and the arse of the car banging off the ground.. so i wanted to over take, BUT i saw the white line and even my girlfriend was saying to me "dont overtake yet.. you'll gte busted" so i purposly waited untill it was broken lines before overtaking.. so once i over took i was fine.. then about 30 seconds later i looked in my mirror to see a cop car miles behind me overtaking about 4 -5 cars to get to me.... so he is stuck up my arse lights in full swing and flashing me like a bank robber... so i pulled over nice and safe.. he came storming up to the window and told me that i overtook a load of cars on a continous white line (when i actually overtook one car that was doing 20k below the limit on Broken white lines) so i argued this with him and he was having none of it.. he even tryed to accuse me of having false insurance disks cos he was unable to tell the difference betwen the number 2 and the number 5 (difficult.. i know!!)
    so anyway off he went not admitting he was wrong and today i get a letter saying i have to pay a fine and get 2 points off my licence... WTF?? is this copper the Judge Jury and Executioner?? do i not get a say? that is not policing that is bull****....

now i have to try figure out how to get out of this.. im not going to just accept it.. i did nothing wrong and im not gonna just take it.. i have been on to one or two REAL cops today and am waiting to hear back about what rights i have in this position!!

Utter bull****.. its so evident in this country that speed traps etc.. are only in place to generate revenue!! why else to they have 60k limits on dual carrage ways while your free to do 100k on back roads?? thats not safety.. its entrapment!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ok the poster obviously knows the limit on all R roads is 80kph, by saying 100kph he is stating that the limits are not enforced there as there are no cops on the road checking for speeding.

Also what happened to you is really ****ty I'd definitely fight it if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Id question this...........

What is worst is that Garda car would have past the car with 7 people in it (illegal) and done nothing about that. It also makes your insurance null and void if you carry more than x people and am sure some of them wherent wearing seat belts either as there is only five in a car........

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well i was optimistic that when these new points were announced that it would be used wisely by cops and not overkill!!

well i have been driving for 10 years and never had any offences.. but only 5 days after they annonced the new points i have been issued 2 points for overtakeing on a continous white line...

now here is the thing....

i was on my way home from a meal with my girlfriend in the car.. we were in a 60k zone and the car in front was doing 40k.. with about 7 people jammed into it and the arse of the car banging off the ground.. so i wanted to over take, BUT i saw the white line and even my girlfriend was saying to me "dont overtake yet.. you'll gte busted" so i purposly waited untill it was broken lines before overtaking.. so once i over took i was fine.. then about 30 seconds later i looked in my mirror to see a cop car miles behind me overtaking about 4 -5 cars to get to me.... so he is stuck up my arse lights in full swing and flashing me like a bank robber... so i pulled over nice and safe.. he came storming up to the window and told me that i overtook a load of cars on a continous white line (when i actually overtook one car that was doing 20k below the limit on Broken white lines) so i argued this with him and he was having none of it.. he even tryed to accuse me of having false insurance disks cos he was unable to tell the difference betwen the number 2 and the number 5 (difficult.. i know!!)
    so anyway off he went not admitting he was wrong and today i get a letter saying i have to pay a fine and get 2 points off my licence... WTF?? is this copper the Judge Jury and Executioner?? do i not get a say? that is not policing that is bull****....

now i have to try figure out how to get out of this.. im not going to just accept it.. i did nothing wrong and im not gonna just take it.. i have been on to one or two REAL cops today and am waiting to hear back about what rights i have in this position!!

Utter bull****.. its so evident in this country that speed traps etc.. are only in place to generate revenue!! why else to they have 60k limits on dual carrage ways while your free to do 100k on back roads?? thats not safety.. its entrapment!!
    [sarcasm] Another fine example of policing by the boys n girls in blue [/sarcasm]

Unfortunately, even though your right, it'll be your word against his at the end of the day and which is the judge gonna believe? :(

I reckon the burden of proof should be on the cops in cases like this, and by proof I don't mean some power-tripping (not to mention apparently blind in this case) tosser's "word".

Given that they all have cameras fitted now (or if they don't they should), they should be required to play back the tape there and then to you if they pull you over. If they can do it in the UK/US as shown on all those Police Stop shows on Sky, they can do it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Don't let this one lie. I'd take the risk of more points and a bigger fine rather than let them away with that one. Get in touch with a good solicitor for starters and fight them all the way. I'd imagine that the fact the cop was 4 or 5 cars back from you will go in your favour. Unless he was already over the centre line himself or it was a right hand curve with a clear view of vehicles ahead it will have been difficult for him to judge the exact point in the road where you started your overtake. If the cop stands up in court and alleges you overtook "a load" of cars when in fact you only overtook one than that really is an appalling blatant lie and I don't know what you can do in that case except just fight your corner and don't back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

fight it,but get advise from someone first to make it final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What BrianD3 said. Fight!

By the way, was there only one Garda in the car? If so, it will improve your chances. Go back to the exact point and take pictures and notes of where exactly you started to overtake, what speed you were doing, at what point you returned to your lane and at what point you noticed the patrol car and at where you stopped, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

since ur sister was with you get her to write everything down that she remberes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

His sister is his girlfriend?? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...!

Seriously, I would fight it. This sort of sh!te is liable to become more prevalent the more powers are given to the gardai. And because it's in the name of road safety, no-one dares to speak up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

You have a credible witness, your girlfriend, available to definately assist you in proving your statement.

Why not ask the driver of the car who was driving with 6 passengers.. I'm sure he'll say you overtook on a broken line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I would fight it, and risk getting 4 points and an increased fine. Would you rather get 2 points for saying nothing or 4 for standing your ground. I'm sure he needs to have evidence to show what you did wrong.

If there was a murder case, a copper can't just say he saw you kill someone, they need evidence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement