Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeware-Open Source Windows Explorer Replacement

• 12-04-2006 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Today, I finally snapped when using Windows Explorer. I hate it, it wrecks with my karma. I am looking for a decent Explorer replacement, that is either freeware, or open source. I used to use Total Commander under Windows 2000, and while I liked the power that it gave me, I just didn't like the interface.

I'm looking for something with two panes, each for a different drive or folder, possibly inbuilt ZIP and RAR support, a good search function. Not really looking for mass rename features, macros or anything else, but if they are included then fine. Anyone have any recommendations. Have been doing a quick bit of research, seems to be loads of shareware alternatives on the market, but if anyone has any suggestions then I would appreciate hearing them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What exactly do you feel is wrong with explorer?
    There may be workarounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

WizZard wrote:
    What exactly do you feel is wrong with explorer?
    There may be workarounds.

Well, if I drag a large number of files from one drive to another, then it copies the file, if I move with folders on the same drive then it copies them.

If I move a file called Setup.exe, using drag and drop, then it creates a shortcut regardless, doesn't make a copy. This is a major issue for me, in my line of work.

I want to be able to have a default view for every folder I work, e.g I don't want music files appearing in a special music folder, with different layouts. I want all my folder in listed format, with last modified time as the default, across all local and network drives. The Apply to all folders option does not work well.

I want dual paned display, with each drive having a tree view if needed.

I don't want browser intergration.

I want advanced file information in my display, without having to multiple click.

I want it to remember my settings, every time!!!

I want to be able to define a favourites list easily, and be able to move between these folders quickly and easily.

Need I go on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

the default movement between drives under explorer is to copy. To move, you should either highlight all and right click drag them, then select move. Or to highlight them all and then ctrl x (cut), and then ctrl v (paste) them to the new drive.

In explorer you can also add whatever fields you want to be displayed as columbs, or get plugins to show them as a pop up.

I'm fairly sure there's a crazy dual pane hack out there somewhere but I can't find it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what other file managers can you get.

xplorer² is probally the most popular, it comes as freeware and paid version, you can see the differences here:
    xplorer²

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Cheers Gideon,

I have used various plugins and scripts to implement functionality, but I would rather a versatile, single solution that allowed me carry out my work the way I wanted it to. I don't really mind paying, but free is always nice. Explorer is just too basic for what I need. I have written batch files, but they can be very limiting if content, file size, date modified features etc have to closely monitored.

I' had a look at the link you sent, the pro version looks exactly what I am looking for. Windows design and icons etc, but with dual panels etc. I'll download the trial and run it on VMWare to see what the good word is.

Cheers.

Advertisement