Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I may not be popular for saying this but...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

edanto wrote:
    For any big reputable charity, the accounts will be on the web and you can check how much gets spent on Administration. A bit of effort and you can make sure that most (95%) of what you donate goes to where it's needed.

Degsy, is your logic that just because there are wasters on the dole that could work or people working in the toilets that earn tax-free shrapnel then the rest of us shouldn't help out poorer countries?? That's idiotic, it doesn't follow and it sure as hell makes you sound greedy.

If people abusing our systems really grinds your gears, then go do something about it - but the point is that at least we HAVE those systems. If you get sick and can't work in Africa there ain't no government handouts. Either your family support you or you die. What do you know about Africa, really? Anything?

Incidentally, where are you on the global rich list? (don't forget to include any money mammykins and papa give you)

What exactly is preventing the people of poorer countries from going out and doing something about thier predicament?Why should we have to bail them out?Do the wealthy countries of the middle east have charities that help OUR poor?No of course they dont,nor do the americans or any other country wealthier than us.We're not a wealthy nation,its all built on credit cards and borrowing,we're being browbeaten into contributing by businesses masquerading as charities.And as for how wealthy i am,i work 9-5 and i struggle to pay my bills,often having to econimise greatly towards teh end of the month..i dont ask for handouts and my parents never gave me penny nor could they afford it and nor would i ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

julep wrote:
    bit late for that. although i do see your point and perhaps a thread should be started in humanities.

i used to donate to two different charities every month. i cancelled the direct debit after finding out that on 5 to 15% actually goes where it is supposed to.

also, I'm the 789,050,453 richest person on earth.
    from the rich list posted above.

althoguh it would probably be higher if it took my property into account.

GOAL reckon they only spend 5% on admin. Why don't you donate to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

well it may be an old argument but i think it is a pretty sollid argument..... surely we should help out our own first ??

Degsy wrote:
    we pay taxes so unemployed people can stay in bed all day,
    Erm, a lot of unemployed people have valid reasons for not being able to work. They wouldn't qualify for it otherwise. Why are you not pointing any fingers at white collar crime? If they paid their fair share of taxes we would all be a lot better off.
    Degsy wrote:
    asylum seekers can have thier rent payed while they work in pub toilets making 3000 a night,
    3000 a night, you're having a laugh, right? What is your source for this figure?
    Degsy wrote:
    heroin addicts can have free methadone and medical card treatment and every other way to missapropriate your wages.
    Taking a cheap shot again at the easy targets.

Degsy wrote:
    i am,i work 9-5 and i struggle to pay my bills,often having to econimise greatly towards teh end of the month..i dont ask for handouts and my parents never gave me penny nor could they afford it and nor would i ask them.

Ohhh poor baby, get a life and stop feeling so sorry for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Degsy wrote:
    What exactly is preventing the people of poorer countries from going out and doing something about thier predicament?

Interesting question. I suggest, and I mean this in all seriousness, that you should start a thread with that exact question and see what people think the answer is.
    We're not a wealthy nation,its all built on credit cards and borrowing,we're being browbeaten into contributing by businesses masquerading as charities.
    Eh... yes we are. How can you not see that??? Are you one of those people that can only know things that they see with their own eyes? As for the slurs on charities - back it up or take it back. I call bullsh1t.
    And as for how wealthy i am,i work 9-5 and i struggle to pay my bills,often having to econimise greatly towards teh end of the month..i dont ask for handouts and my parents never gave me penny nor could they afford it and nor would i ask them.
    Fair play to you. Sorry for implying that you were a grumpy little rich kid, I take it back.

For all the people saying that only 10% gets to the people who need the aid..

http://www.goal.ie/about/
    Since its inception GOAL has sent 1,300 volunteers (GOALies) to work in the developing world, alongside more than 2,500 local staff and spent over €400 million on the delivery of aid. It has an administration cost of less than 5% per annum for the last 29 years and pursues a policy of total transparency and accountability, publishing annual audited accounts.

Erm, a lot of unemployed people have valid reasons for not being able to work. They wouldn't qualify for it otherwise. Why are you not pointing any fingers at white collar crime? If they paid their fair share of taxes we would all be a lot better off.

3000 a night, you're having a laugh, right? What is your source for this figure?

Taking a cheap shot again at the easy targets.

I've made my points..what points do you have rather than having a go at me?

edanto wrote:
    Interesting question. I suggest, and I mean this in all seriousness, that you should start a thread with that exact question and see what people think the answer is.

Eh... yes we are. How can you not see that??? Are you one of those people that can only know things that they see with their own eyes? As for the slurs on charities - back it up or take it back.

Fair play to you. Sorry for implying that you were a grumpy little rich kid, I take it back.
    Call it what you like,i used to work for a chairity,i know what i'm talking about,Actaully they're recruiting a the moment,join em and see what imean.

As for not being able to see how rich we are..can you not see the homeless on th estreets or did your rich residents association have them cleared away?

Its teh least you should do,you're so wide of the mark its unbievable.Not that my social status is any of your business.

Degsy wrote:
    I've made my points..what points do you have rather than having a go at me?
    I disagree with all your views for a start. Everything you have said is bullshít. I agree with giving to charities. I think it is incredibly ignorant to think that people starving in Africa or people homeless because of an Earthquake in Indonesia should be able to go out and do something about thier predicament as you put it. You have a huge chip on your shoulder, you think the world owes you something and are very resentful of everyone else.

BTW, don't aviod my question. Where did you get the figure of €3000 a night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dude, nobody has to give money if they don't want to.

If the guys want to find an alternative way of generating income, they are welcome to it. Whatever they make, is not my business. Just like your income is none of theirs.

I still don't believe that *any* man would seriously opt to wash the hands of a load of loved up celtic tiger bell-ends in Break For The Border if they had a choice, i'm sorry.
    Degsy wrote:
    .The main thing keeping this scam afloat is teh fact that peopel dont want to be thought of as racist for not paying the guy..could you imagine a white person being payed?

stovelid wrote:
    Dude, nobody has to give money if they don't want to.

If the guys want to find an alternative way of generating income, they are welcome to it. Whatever they make, is not my business. Just like your income is none of theirs.

I still don't believe that *any* man would seriously opt to wash the hands of a load of loved up celtic tiger bell-ends in Break For The Border if they had a choice, i'm sorry.

They dont wash any part of you,they stand there waving tiolet roll at you and get quite snippy when you ignore them.They dont actually peerform any function at all.

I disagree with all your views for a start. Everything you have said is bullshít. I agree with giving to charities. I think it is incredibly ignorant to think that people starving in Africa or people homeless because of an Earthquake in Indonesia should be able to go out and do something about thier predicament as you put it. You have a huge chip on your shoulder, you think the world owes you something and are very resentful of everyone else.

BTW, don't aviod my question. Where did you get the figure of €3000 a night?

If you like giving to charities so much then do just belt up about it,i'm not interested in your humanitarian leanings.I dont think he world owes me squat,i've been in full time emplyoment for 17 years,i've paid a fortune in tax and never got anything for nothing,if you want to rise above poverty,go out and do something about it and stop with the grabbing and poormouthing.
    I told you where i got the figure of 3000 a night,you dont read too well.Probably too busy agonising about the unfortunates in Africa like Bono doubtless does.

Degsy wrote:
    If you like giving to charities so much then do just belt up about it,i'm not interested in your humanitarian leanings.
    You just asked for my views, why did you ask if you are not interested?
    Degsy wrote:
    I dont think he world owes me squat,i've been in full time emplyoment for 17 years,i've paid a fortune in tax and never got anything for nothing

Poor me, poor me, I've a violin playing for you right now
    Degsy wrote:
    I told you where i got the figure of 3000 a night,you dont read too well.Probably too busy agonising about the unfortunates in Africa like Bono doubtless does.
    Will you please point out to me where you told me they get 3000 a night. All I can find is the following which is all just hearsay:
    Degsy wrote:
    asylum seekers can have thier rent payed while they work in pub toilets making 3000 a night
    Degsy wrote:
    A relative works in aib in grafton street,apparantly these guys come in on monday mornings with ruksacks full of change to convert into high denimonation notes,she reckons most of them have about 8 grand to change after the weekend.
    Degsy wrote:
    Take a place like break for the border,it holds,what?A thousand people?The guys are in the toilets from 8 till close at about 3am.The toilets will have been visited by every bloke who goes into the place and in many cases once every hour or so depending on how they're drinking.The plate that the guy has for his "tips" allways has a two euro coin on it just so you think thats the minimum tariff.

You know exactly what i mean
    Degsy wrote:
    They dont wash any part of you,they stand there waving tiolet roll at you and get quite snippy when you ignore them.They dont actually peerform any function at all.

stovelid wrote:
    You know exactly what i mean

Washing somebody's dirty pecker and standing there with bog roll in your hand arent the same thing no matter how badly you were brought up.

Degsy wrote:
    Washing somebody's dirty pecker and standing there with bog roll in your hand arent the same thing no matter how badly you were brought up.
    So you're not going to tell us where you got the €3000 a night figure from then???

So you're not going to tell us where you got the €3000 a night figure from then???

I told you,a relative of mine works in aib in grafton street,on monday mornings these nigerian blokes come in with rucksacks full of change which they swap for 100 euro notes and so on.In some of the rucksacks is up to 8000 euro in change.In one case a colleague of hers recognised a bloke who came in to change money as being the bloke sitting in the jacks of break for the border the previous saturday night.There ya go.

Degsy wrote:
    I told you,a relative of mine works in aib in grafton street,on monday mornings these nigerian blokes come in with rucksacks full of change which they swap for 100 euro notes and so on.In some of the rucksacks is up to 8000 euro in change.In one case a colleague of hers recognised a bloke who came in to change money as being the bloke sitting in the jacks of break for the border the previous saturday night.There ya go.
    "There ya go", ha ha, you make me laugh. That is no proof whatsoever that they earn €3000 a night working in the jacks in a pub. You just plucked this figure out of the air. They could have got that money from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Raiser wrote:
    You cretins are really going to regret having posted these ignorant statements on a public message board just as soon as your testicles drop and you realise that Mr. O'Briens maths test on Fridays is not in fact a critical issue or pressing current affair.

Come on, to have been through at least some portion of the Irish educational system we have to assume that you are in possession of at least some of the facts here [?] I can only assume age is a factor and that if Mum doesn't buy 12 packs of Walkers crisps and multiple 2 litre bottles of Coke that you slam doors, sulk and shout "its so unfair" all evening while stamping the Nike Air max that you begged Daddy-kins to buy you on the preceding Saturday.

Genetic dead-ends like yourselves couldn't be self-sufficient beyond a 500 metre radius of Dominos - and no, its not a valid argument to say that misfortunates in famine devasted countries should ask Daddy for €15 euro and a lift in the Beemer to the nearest KFC.

I know, I know - you maintain these people should be planting kebab bushes and growing chicken-dippers trees. Perhaps they should invest in a garlic and herb dip machine so they can be really self-sufficient. If you were teleported to and subsequently stranded in a famine area I would expect 90 mins. of Nokia talk time as you desperately beg for a taxi, then in due course a dead battery - about 20 mins later your spotty white carcasses would be decomposing while repulsing passing vultures.

No Respect.

To the OP - You arugment is valid for more people than will ever admit to it. Personally I could do a lot more with ease, but often put it on a back burner or forget to follow up on a donation etc. This is not something I am proud of but I intend to do better in future.

Finally to those saying "oh yaw - you're only giving 'cause your rich and it makes your ego expand, like yah...blah...etc. etc." People that make the odd small effort are contributing and helping in a real and tangible way - you are merely putting forth empty-headed arguments as you decide what '06 registration car needs to be in your driveway in order to make the neighbours think you are someone/something.

- By your own evidence you are currently not amounting to too much actually.

Raiser.

P.S. Beer is life - could you please consider yourself included? [thanks]

* Edit 'cause of prior omission of another inbred mental midget.

i havent laughed so much in ages.
    fab post.

• Advertisement

"There ya go", ha ha, you make me laugh. That is no proof whatsoever that they earn €3000 a night working in the jacks in a pub. You just plucked this figure out of the air. They could have got that money from anywhere.

yeah..anywhere :rolleyes:

Degsy wrote:
    ,i'm not interested in your humanitarian leanings..

so stop posting, ok yeah?

so stop posting, ok yeah?

You seem to have it in for me for some reason..

Degsy wrote:
    You seem to have it in for me for some reason..

really? in what way?

over the last page, you havent added anything except to attack posters for for their opinion, given half arsed friend-of-a-friend type stories as a generalised 'proof' of a whole community, and deliberately misrepresented the meaning of what people are saying.

as you say yourself
    I've made my points

so why go on about it?

by the way, if i do have it in for you for some reason, can you please back that up with your proof, because i really dislike these generalisations you keep throwing about.
    if i had it in for you, i would have banned you about 7 posts back.

really? in what way?

over the last page, you havent added anything except to attack posters for for their opinion, given half arsed friend-of-a-friend type stories as a generalised 'proof' of a whole community, and deliberately misrepresented the meaning of what people are saying.

as you say yourself

so why go on about it?

by the way, if i do have it in for you for some reason, can you please back that up with your proof, because i really dislike these generalisations you keep throwing about.
    if i had it in for you, i would have banned you about 7 posts back.

People are saying thier thing,i'm saying mine.Its the nature of an exchange of views.My style,such as it is may not be to everyone's liking and thats regretable.I figured you have it in for me because you chipped in and told me to stop posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Friend of mine worked in a bar in the UK last year. Said the guys in the jacks earned £750 a night. That's what they told him anyways.

shnaek wrote:
    Friend of mine worked in a bar in the UK last year. Said the guys in the jacks earned £750 a night. That's what they told him anyways.

About a grand in euros i think that is.

Degsy wrote:
    People are saying thier thing,i'm saying mine.Its the nature of an exchange of views.My style,such as it is may not be to everyone's liking and thats regretable.I figured you have it in for me because you chipped in and told me to stop posting.

no, i dont believe i told you to stop posting. i suggested if you werent interested, you should stop.

and youre not exchanging your views. youre degrading what people are saying.
    that is not an exchange of views.
    degsy wrote:
    About a grand in euros i think that is

and still 3 times less than your figure and yet another friend of a friend story.
    i mean, if youre actually going to use that little factoid to base your arguments on, at least make it a fact instead of hearsay.

i slao fail to see what the bloke inthe bathrooms at pubs has to do with your attitude to the poverty of the third world or the fact that you refuse to entertain the thought of helping them.

now, again, i'll ask you to put up your proof of where i have it in for you.

put it up, or dont make off the cuff remarks about me you cant back up.

capiche?

Dude, it's not even worth trying to get a point across to you. You are embarrassing yourself and wasting our time.

Degsy wrote:

• Advertisement

no, i dont believe i told you to stop posting. i suggested if you werent interested, you should stop.

and youre not exchanging your views. youre degrading what people are saying.
    that is not an exchange of views.

and still 3 times less than your figure and yet another friend of a friend story.
    i mean, if youre actually going to use that little factoid to base your arguments on, at least make it a fact instead of hearsay.

i slao fail to see what the bloke inthe bathrooms at pubs has to do with your attitude to the poverty of the third world or the fact that you refuse to entertain the thought of helping them.

now, again, i'll ask you to put up your proof of where i have it in for you.

put it up, or dont make off the cuff remarks about me you cant back up.

capiche?

Not a friend of a friend i'm afraid,its a relative of mine who works in the bank as i've made clear.The whole thing about people working in the jacks evolved from me complaining about having to pay tax to support people who either dont want to work or are forbidden to do so and are doing so anyway.My point throughout has been that i cannot afford to help people in other countries because because enough money is taken out at source in this country and its not as if the cost of living is low here either.Also,the 1000 euro may fall short of my "friend of a friend story" but did it occur to you that a pub could be bigger or smaller,there's no gold standard on how much they make per pub.
    What you said to me was "so stop posting, ok yeah?"..you didnt say it to anybody else during the course of this discussion,you might also note that there were a few "observations" made about me personally which i refused to rise to yet i'm the one degrading what people have said?I'm sticking to the rules remember.

Advertisement